Notification panel

This is more of a question than feedback but not sure where to ask this or who to send my question to.

So it happened recently twice that I come on the page, see "Notifications: 1" click on it, see "1 new post quote" and when I go to the menu it looks like this:

2016-07-08

11:22 PM - Deleted Posts

and

2016-07-10

08:36 PM - Deleted Posts

Obviously the rest of notifications are valid and I won't need to post them, but tbh if some post was really deleted what's the point of notifying me I have a reply if I don't because it doesn't exist any more?

Anyway the question is does this happen (notification sent even though post doesn't exist) if the user deleted it, a mod, it was a bot post cleaned up, all cases? And why does it work like that?

The notification is sent when the post is made, but it isn't updated when a post is later deleted. I could hide deleted posts from the list, but that wouldn't solve the notification. This is mostly an edge case, as we don't often delete posts, so adding additional code to clean up notifications when a post is deleted isn't very high up on the priority list.

Thanks for the info, gosh I must have trolled someone hard if 2 replies got deleted within 2 days.

But anyway, thanks for clearing this up for me!