Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

What's your biggest video game goof.

What is the one moment in a video game you looked at and was like lol I can't believe I did that.

WARNING SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine was in Fallout 4, there I was infiltrating the institute for the first time, I see my son freeze up and an old man walks into the room and I immediately blow him to hell...........Only to decide a few minutes later to reload my last save to listen to what he said and find out he is really my son.
    My FC is 0430-8669-1800 add me and send a PM. My safari is Audino,dunsparce,Ditto.

"Insert clever saying here"

Was actually about to make a similar thread (not necessarily just about goofs, but when games expect you to be genre-savvy and otherwise fall flat).

I just finished Shadowrun: Hong Kong and I realized that, like many modern squad-based RPGs, the game has loyalty missions you're supposed to carry out for your party members. I had been playing the game off-and-on and the game doesn't really direct you towards these loyalty missions, so I never really thought to prod my party members outside of the main story and other side missions about their personal lives; ultimately I ended up doing absolutely none of the loyalty missions. At the end of the game, basically all of the characters except the main PC's adopted brother gave me the middle finger since I didn't lift a finger to help them. Literally uninstalled the game at that point - "technically" it was my fault, but with zero guidance from the game in that direction, I got an unsatisfactory resolution to a ~15 hour campaign.

(That wasn't really my biggest goof, my biggest goof was deleting my FF7 file that I had poured hundreds of hours into, breeding chocobo, across-the-board maxed stats, etc, haven't touched the game since)

I remember finding out what "delete" means back in Carmen Sandiego. I was not happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably rage quitting my raiding guild during Cataclysm.

I started playing during Cata and joined a raiding guild, got along great with everyone and raided with them the whole expansion. In the final tier, the other tank who was a DK the whole expansion up until then decided to reroll and chose to be a Prot Paladin, the same as me. This was after we had already spent several weeks raiding the tier... Most of the tank gear was getting passed to him since we ran a loot council and he was in the guild longer, a co-leader, etc., so most of the tanking gear was getting passed to him. Then he up and quit that character and rerolled to the same spec as me AND then all of the tank gear was further getting funneled to him on the new character to.

Really pissed me off and I raged out of the guild.

Been pretty hit or miss (actually miss or miss) with guilds since then, never really finding a place to settle down, having no fun raiding, etc.

Pretty much hampered my entire WoW experience since then.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember that 4v4 game in Starcraft 2... It was going nowhere, two teams just sit on their bases and made small tactical moves here and there. I got really bored and just made a lot of Zerglings and started teamkilling my allies. They were really nice despite that, innocently asked me what I was doing and why, got really sad... And I suddenly thought, "Oh my god, what am I doing?". We lost that game, of course!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Buying Skyrim at a shop and not knowing it was Steam .... $60 down the tube

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMediator View Post
    Was actually about to make a similar thread (not necessarily just about goofs, but when games expect you to be genre-savvy and otherwise fall flat).

I just finished Shadowrun: Hong Kong and I realized that, like many modern squad-based RPGs, the game has loyalty missions you're supposed to carry out for your party members. I had been playing the game off-and-on and the game doesn't really direct you towards these loyalty missions, so I never really thought to prod my party members outside of the main story and other side missions about their personal lives; ultimately I ended up doing absolutely none of the loyalty missions. At the end of the game, basically all of the characters except the main PC's adopted brother gave me the middle finger since I didn't lift a finger to help them. Literally uninstalled the game at that point - "technically" it was my fault, but with zero guidance from the game in that direction, I got an unsatisfactory resolution to a ~15 hour campaign.

(That wasn't really my biggest goof, my biggest goof was deleting my FF7 file that I had poured hundreds of hours into, breeding chocobo, across-the-board maxed stats, etc, haven't touched the game since)
    Yeah, Hong Kong has a ridiculous amount of text if you talk to everyone. In a lot of cases, even the stuff the random people in town say will change after missions. That was one thing I really liked about the game. I could spend a good 30+ minutes just after each mission, running around and talking to my team members in the boat + talking to all the people in town. Shadowrun Returns/Dragonfall/Hong Kong are my top 3 recent games.

On the topic of "goofs" in video games...I could probably tell you a lot of stories from my noob days in WoW. I might never have made it to 60 in Classic WoW if not for the patience some of my friends had with me.

I guess my biggest one was not understanding how talent trees worked. When I was getting to 60, I'd just throw points wherever I felt like it. I think I had it in my head that, by the time I reached 60, I'd have all 3 trees filled out anyway, so why did it matter what order I went? Had this weird spec that was a little ways down each tree by the time I hit 60 and ran with it for a little while before someone caught me and had a talk with me to point me in the right direction.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2016-07-13 at 12:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Playing any Final Fantasy: and either enter a boss fight with out reviving and healing the party, Going into a zone that i know out levels me and above all else, turning the game off and realizing "Shit i forgot to save the game!"

To this day I save every time I see a save point regardless what I have accomplished between saves.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    Yeah, Hong Kong has a ridiculous amount of text if you talk to everyone. In a lot of cases, even the stuff the random people in town say will change after missions. That was one thing I really liked about the game. I could spend a good 30+ minutes just after each mission, running around and talking to my team members in the boat + talking to all the people in town. Shadowrun Returns/Dragonfall/Hong Kong are my top 3 recent games.
    Part of the problem is with how the boat is laid out in Hong Kong - you don't have to pass your squadmates to get to your bunk or mission computer. Dragonfall was much better about this because you passed your whole team except for Hope (who was within line of sight of the computer anyways) so that you remember to check-in with them. I actually ended up going through the whole dialogue tree with Crafty Shen (the magic dealer) in Hong Kong because I was playing a wizard and chit-chatted with her quite a bit before shopping, but nobody else was really "on the way" so I never thought to drop-in and chat.

10+ Year Old Account
    *goes into Grimrail depot for the first time*

*gets to train boss*

"Hey guys watch this."

*Tries to jump-disengage through the wind gale*

*Angles it wrong and flies off the side of the train and dies*

"... Wow Pops... just wow"

- - - Updated - - -

Also first time I played Dark Souls I didn't know you could lock on. So I played about 3 hours trying to fucking kill Hollows and completely missing and dying over and over again. Ragequit and decided to just watch a let's play of it and saw how the guy played and I facepalmed at myself.

Deleted
    When I was creating my first character in Vanilla WoW I couldn't decide on a class, and my brother who had played a lot told me to pick a Warlock because the class started with a dagger and could use magic.

So I ran around Northshire Abbey autoattacking mobs and casting the occasional Shadow Bolt.

I got an updated version of wow from a friend and kept my old wow directory around. Shitty internet was not going to keep up with updated that were a year behind at the time. I forgot why I did not get rid of my old folder so I deleted it.

Now I know, 10 years of screenshots and memories toasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconja View Post
    When I was creating my first character in Vanilla WoW I couldn't decide on a class, and my brother who had played a lot told me to pick a Warlock because the class started with a dagger and could use magic.

So I ran around Northshire Abbey autoattacking mobs and casting the occasional Shadow Bolt.
    Oh so you were one of those famous firestone/krol blade warlocks?

Shadow armor was pretty good at keeping you alive in melee at low levels TBH
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Back when I just started playing WoW, a troll rogue, and I was questing in the valley of trials, when I for some reason ended up at the shaman earth stone. There was a small gap in the cliffs where you could see down to Ratchet, and I was jumping around a bit to get a better look, I eventually got stuck in the gap and had to jump into the bay below where I was promptly eaten by crocodiles.
    After I rezzed I tried to find a way back, and when I found that I could impossibly climb the mountain up, I concluded I was stranded in an unknown place with monsters that were way to powerful for me, so I logged off, deleted my character and started over.
    Only after did I realize what the hearthstone was used for.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say as long as you actually talk to your party/crew members there's enough direction for the loyality missions. Most actively want to talk about their problem so you either have to tell them you don't want to help or ignore them entirely to avoid it. The 'go out of your way to find extra/advantageous features' element is a key part of how Shadowrun functions too, such as Gaichu etc. That said given that all the loyality missions together add up to a significant portion of the content (probably close to a third of the missions) it wouldn't hurt too much to make them more direct.

As for goofs; When I had first started getting into MMOs about 18 years ago I was messing about with a hex editor (out of curiosity rather than malice) and thought I'd given myself infinite gold. Ran around dropping gold for random people and wasn't until I suddenly couldn't drop any more that I realised I'd been using my actual gold and the hex edit was just the UI .
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    I'd say as long as you actually talk to your party/crew members there's enough direction for the loyality missions. Most actively want to talk about their problem so you either have to tell them you don't want to help or ignore them entirely to avoid it. The 'go out of your way to find extra/advantageous features' element is a key part of how Shadowrun functions too, such as Gaichu etc. That said given that all the loyality missions together add up to a significant portion of the content (probably close to a third of the missions) it wouldn't hurt too much to make them more direct.
    That's my point, I didn't talk to them. They're all hidden squirreled away and by the time I finish a main mission I'm wanting to do the next main mission - without the "debriefings" between missions like Dragonfall, where each character has something to say about the mission and "to come see them if you want talk about it further", I was never really reminded to engage in that part of the story.

Granted, it might be worth playing the game again just because I do already own it and missed out on a portion of the content, but the experience will always be soured to a degree by the shitty resolution of my first playthrough (Gaichu thinking I'm some crazy person for inviting a Ghoul onto his ship and then never speaking to him for instance).

Part of the problem is with how the boat is laid out in Hong Kong - you don't have to pass your squadmates to get to your bunk or mission computer. Dragonfall was much better about this because you passed your whole team except for Hope (who was within line of sight of the computer anyways) so that you remember to check-in with them. I actually ended up going through the whole dialogue tree with Crafty Shen (the magic dealer) in Hong Kong because I was playing a wizard and chit-chatted with her quite a bit before shopping, but nobody else was really "on the way" so I never thought to drop-in and chat.
    Yeah. I had to go out of my way a bit to talk to everyone on my crew. You had Is0bel and Gobbet upstairs, Duncan on the main level, and Gaichu/Racter downstairs. So you pretty much had to scour the boat to talk to them all after every mission. Keeping up with them meant running upstairs and downstairs to talk to everyone after every mission.

iirc, most of the random people in town didn't give you any particular missions (aside from maybe a couple), but they all had things to say. Ambrose (cyberware/medical vendor) had a pretty interesting backstory if you talked to him enough.

I thought Glory (Dragonfall) was the most interesting character from any of the Shadowrun games. Anyone who didn't do her trust missions or talk to her enough ended up missing one of the best parts of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    I thought Glory (Dragonfall) was the most interesting character from any of the Shadowrun games. Anyone who didn't do her trust missions or talk to her enough ended up missing one of the best parts of the game.
    Yeah, her arc was pretty good. I played a Shaman so you get a bit more from her than you do otherwise (performing Astral Perception on her you get clues to her history before she tells you which is pretty neat). Also, lol, that fucking door in her loyalty mission. Since my character had strong willpower I was able to ignore her advice and beat the willpower check on attempting to open the door and my character ended up being wounded by the seal, got chided for not listening to her.

Game's so good. I don't want to say "where did they go wrong with Hong Kong", but Dragonfall seems so much better in almost every way (possibly one of the top ten games I've played).

Edit: I think I preferred Blitz's loyalty mission. Hassenkamp is one of my favorite one-shot characters of all-time, the writing was great, scenario design was solid, and ended with a "feel good" resolution that wasn't too contrived.
    Last edited by TheMediator; 2016-07-14 at 01:29 PM.

I preordered Star Trek Online at gamestop...
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Buying Alien Colonial Marines for about £40 or £50 from Blockbusters (yeah, back when they were a thing), thinking it would be good. I've only done about 4 missions and roughly an hours worth of multiplayer.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!