Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mmo champions boards use on Edge amount to a whole gig at times, often 2 or 3....

A gig of RAM, I mean. And they are not very responsive. Sometimes, the screen just froze-with 12 gigs of ram and a quadcore...

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    A gig of RAM, I mean. And they are not very r
    Who the fuck uses Edge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I feel bad for all those 'protesters' at the Trump rally, it's like the real life equivalent of making a 40 man raid in WoW and not having the boss spawn, thereby denying them a chance at looting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's a nonsense argument that ignores what words mean.

People who don't exactly change default options ?

Edge is not an option. Get something that doesn't suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Luxxor View Post
    Who the fuck uses Edge.
    People who don't deserve computers.

Edge is a well-known shit browser.

That's not an MMO-C specific problem, Edge likes to eat memory.

How much memory seems to be determined by how many badly written scripts it's running. If I open the MMO-C front page and get well made ads it'll sit at around 400MB. If I open a forum thread it'll take around 200MB depending on pictures and forum sig sizes.

If, however, I keep refreshing until I get a badly made ad script it'll just eat massive amounts of memory.

The square ad just to the right of the recent forum posts box is a good place for this to happen, since that one sometimes serves video ads. If that ad is say the Adobe Cloud advert that it sometimes serves me then it's fine and doesn't eat up loads of memory.
    The one it's trying to serve me right now after a few refreshes doesn't even get as far as loading it's that badly written. It just sits there eating RAM.

It would seem that the combined causes of the problems are firstly people writing abysmal scripts when making ads and Edge not being good at handling those scripts.

Once Edge supports extensions and people can play about with ad-blockers and no-script then it's likely it won't be so bad.

EDIT: as an aside if you run those same bad scripts on Chrome without any extensions to stop them they'll eat up your memory from there too. Takes a few reloads to get one truly awful, but if you can get an ad that shows a black square with a buffering circle in the middle you're onto a winner (or loser really).
    From what I can remember ads are done via Google here, so if you want to be mad at someone - tell Google to sort out what they let people put up on their ad serving platform.
    Last edited by klogaroth; 2016-07-13 at 04:44 AM.

I can't really use MMO champ boards on any browser on either my PC, wife's laptop or work computer. Just slows to a crawl and keeps giving me errors about an unresponsive script at first I thought it was PC cause it's kind of old but when wife's laptop which is relatively new and work PC which is brand new couldn't get it right, I knew it was something with MMO. Oddly enough, my phone never has a problem. So I just post from here.

Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    From what I can remember ads are done via Google here, so if you want to be mad at someone - tell Google to sort out what they let people put up on their ad serving platform.
    Why can't MMO champ just stop using that ad service until they fix their ads?
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Why can't MMO champ just stop using that ad service until they fix their ads?
    Use something that blocks the ads instead

Deleted
    use ad block

don't use edge

Unfortunately this site is unusable without adblock.

Deleted
    Opera browser works best for me for this forum.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Edge has issues. Disabling flash tends to resolve its memory leak issues for most users.

Chrome is becoming increasingly bloated, so I'd recommend using Firefox or Opera.

Regardless, for mmo-champion, I would strongly recommend Ad Block. Unfortunately, this is one of the worst sites for that type of garbage.

Deleted
    there is a reason why I refuse point blankly to whitelist any cuse gaming site, The amount of adverts on them is atrocious. Not only are they (the adverts) badly managed, they more often than not have obnoxiously loud sound and video.

Adverts are sadly a needed revenue stream for websites, however they (the people in charge of the sites concerned) need to get their shit together and ensure that they are not as intrusive and obnoxious as possible.

My tip, use adblocker. MMO-Champ uses horrible ads that slow the site down to a crawl.

That should fix the issue.

And now mods will come here, whine about people using adblock, completely ignoring the issue with the ads

It might also have to do with the 104!!!! different trackers this shit loads in the background.
    I wouldn't touch this website without AdBlock + a TrackerBlocker

You need an ad block of some kind.

Edge will have an ad blocker built in this next windows patch, I think or it will at least allow you to add an ad blocker extension. The patch is due next month some time.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I have about 20 tabs open, and firefox currently takes ~400mb total. So I highly doubt mmoc page is of any problem itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Considering how poorly written some of the scripts are here, you can't use this site without an adblocker.

If what I recall hearing is true, this site used to be fairly virus ridden in earlier years. So one might think of wearing a condom while posting here. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    A gig of RAM, I mean. And they are not very responsive. Sometimes, the screen just froze-with 12 gigs of ram and a quadcore...
    I tried browsing it with edge because of your post and holy shit it ran slow. Just another reason to not use a MS browser. Even Maxthon is a better browser than edge.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    I have about 20 tabs open, and firefox currently takes ~400mb total. So I highly doubt mmoc page is of any problem itself.
    Check out an addon called memory restart, it's awesome for firefox. I usually see firefox eat up memory if I leave news pages or youtube up all day because they are contently refreshing.