Poll: More less or about the same?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    spam is subjective. I have every right as a GM of a raiding guild to post help wanted adds on trade as the next guy posting herbs. either could be reported for spam if it is posted more times than a third party wants to read it.

You have zero rights for guild spam in trade chat. There are in game tools already for promoting your guild, use them. If your guild is advertising in trade chat it isn't worth joining. People will find the good guilds because they are good guilds, good guilds do not need to spam, they have people banging on their doors trying to get in. If you do not have people knocking on your door, perhaps spend more time making your guild worth joining.

I will be right click/report spam every guild spam I see, just like I always have, and will continue to encourage others to do the same.

10+ Year Old Account

he hates it

he is 40% unsure about it kind of likes it but 60% dislikes it

many people agree with their dislike towards the penalty
    it will effect everyone regardless of you not being silenced
    -Proffesional Necromancer-

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    Ok. lets take it one further then.
    Lets say that there is hypothetically a guild "recruiter" that tends to "accidentally" post their advert immediately after yours and effectively bump you off the veiwable chat pane every time you post your own advert. Lets say that that player has 45 active players in his guild and twice as many "friends" on the server. Lets say that he has the bright idea that instead of actively mitigating your recruitment effort by bumping you off, instead have all this guild members and acquaintances report you for spam. You start getting silences imposed and of course have no idea why you are getting reported because blizzard will of course keep to it's strict confidentiality of players identity clauses and not tell you anything but a generic "you have been reported for spam". Whether you are spamming or not is completely up to the GM that "investigates", which anyone who has had to deal with GM's on a regular basis knows they can be purely subjective in their decisions.

sounds really far fetched huh?
    It does sound pretty far fetched actually. Especially considering that the only difference between the old policy and the new one is that trolls and spammers will be silenced instead of outright suspended or banned.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    The silence penalty allows players to simply report anything
    Players can already do this.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    It does sound pretty far fetched actually. Especially considering that the only difference between the old policy and the new one is that trolls and spammers will be silenced instead of outright suspended or banned.

- - - Updated - - -

Players can already do this.
    This is the truth, and really needs to be spread. The penalty is the difference, not the system. Players have been able to report en masse for years - has it effectively ruined the game, as some are claiming?

This is literally a less severe penalty for players that are being reported than what currently exists in the game.

Honestly it means accidental bans or rightful punishments are no longer bans that tally against your permanent suspension, and I think I've already commented on this before. It's a great change, and doesn't really change much besides putting vitriol and asinine behavior in a camp without permanently closing an account. Unfortunately for the people who love to be douchebags, this will stop at least the most prominent ones.

Not that it TRULY matters, the people who this system punishes will only end up either teaching them to shut their mouth, or get more severe punishments as time goes on.

I will probably use the public channels more, enjoying the lessened spam and ego boosting. Nothing changes regarding the threshold for a punishment, so I won't be silenced any easier than before.

Bloodsail Admiral Transmigration's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I agree with this. Temporary muting would be better imo.

My realm is sorta on the lower end of the population... and it sucks that this might EVEN FURTHER limit the amount of people talking in chat.
    With a name like "Lemonpartyfan", I'm not surprised you'd be opposed to the new system.

I'm slightly worried about the trolling potential of this. I'll have to see this "investigation" of reports to believe it, because right now, I kinda' fear it's just going to be another shitty automated system.

But I doubt it'll have much of an impact on me. I rarely type anything in public channels anyway.

Dependent on the mods actually taking action and without bias. Blizzard mods most certainly fail on those points with the Blizzard forums. Also comes into question what the report threshold is placed at. On the low end the system will just hit frequent trade chat trolls and spammers.

If keeping with the current level of moderator action then the system just brings a mute to such players rather than handing out a temporary ban and at this point it looks like players will no longer get banned for spamming and harassment. I have also noticed that when a reportable offence gets moved to an automated system that the mods ignore tickets and direct players to use the automated system instead which in this case is likely useless if an individual is targeting one person.

I do expect Blizzard to be on the ball at release of the feature to show it working and then back off their focus as time goes on until mass complaints over lack of moderation happens again. Hopefully the later does not happen.

I expect I'll get silenced because how I talk is apparently not PC and I do mean how I talk. I type exactly the same way I talk to anyone but it sure as shit isn't PC and there are a lot of whiny cunts on my server.
    When I was younger I used to hope bad things wouldn't happen.
    Now I just hope they're at least funny when they do.

So can someone give me a quick run down on what i am allowed to say and what i'm not allowed to say.

Also...seeing as sarcasm isn't easily portrayed in an online computer game nor can you see the persons facial expression or hear their tone of voice when they are typing something.

What am i allowed to talk about and what aren't i allowed to talk about?

If i started to shit talk LFR and a bunch of LFR players got annoyed and decided to report me....how in any way is that fair at all?

I have a very high tolerance of toxicity because i've been playing online games for a very long time i've become numb to it. But i'm really interested to see how many reports it requires to silence someone and is there a "smart" system to determine if someone was just spam reporting some random in trade chat just so they get silenced for no reason at all?

- - - Updated - - -

Like if i wrote that Isis have more content than WoD will i get silenced?

Or do i need to be incredibly toxic and just repeatedly say something like "i hope you kill yourself...your the reason why this game is awful"

I mean the best way that people could deal with this is if Blizzard implemented some type of ignore system in your chat where you could stop seeing what that person writes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jensxo View Post
    I mean the best way that people could deal with this is if Blizzard implemented some type of ignore system in your chat where you could stop seeing what that person writes.
    They have. I am pretty sure that sooner or later I will stop seeing what many toxic people write.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    They have. I am pretty sure that sooner or later I will stop seeing what many toxic people write.
    The crazy thing is that i don't even report toxic players or ignore them...i like the read the banter in trade chat because i'm a typical person on the internet who likes trolling and likes seeing someone being trolled.

So can someone give me a quick run down on what i am allowed to say and what i'm not allowed to say.

Also...seeing as sarcasm isn't easily portrayed in an online computer game nor can you see the persons facial expression or hear their tone of voice when they are typing something.

If i started to shit talk LFR and a bunch of LFR players got annoyed and decided to report me....how in any way is that fair at all?

I have a very high tolerance of toxicity because i've been playing online games for a very long time i've become numb to it. But i'm really interested to see how many reports it requires to silence someone and is there a "smart" system to determine if someone was just spam reporting some random in trade chat just so they get silenced for no reason at all?

- - - Updated - - -

Like if i wrote that Isis have more content than WoD will i get silenced?

Or do i need to be incredibly toxic and just repeatedly say something like "i hope you kill yourself...your the reason why this game is awful"

You should expect a silence; sarcasm is the only thing you gave example of that isn't toxic behavior. Taking shit, telling people to kill themselves is pretty much not acceptable in any social setting; maybe ok in your guild chat, but not here, or any other game. The other thing is just poor taste/bad joke.

Toxicity isn't the standard, even if you are adapted. Other mmo game communities aren't anything like wow that I've been on, it's refreshing and if I didn't have so much time invested in wow, I'd stay elsewhere for that alone. Wow doesn't have to be a cesspool, and a company has the obligation to make sure it isn't. Online games isn't a safe place for toxicity and sorry that triggers you. Your toxicity represents their company poorly to new players and no company wants a reputation for being a haven for assholes who don't know how to show some basic human dignity to each other. At least you'll be silenced, not banned; you won't lose your account over it, you just won't be able to be vile to others in public channels any longer.
    My PC Build 4790k @ 4.7 GHz @ 1.28v; 1080 @ +175 core, +500 memory

The crazy thing is that i don't even report toxic players or ignore them...i like the read the banter in trade chat because i'm a typical person on the internet who likes trolling and likes seeing someone being trolled.
    I think you'll find that the reason for a system like this is because the typical person doesn't much care for trolling or seeing others being trolled.

This feature wont have any affect whatsoever on the majority of players. Most players are not abusive or ressort to racist, inflammatory and those kind of language.

The very few bad apples that think that this is the US of A with guaranteed freedom of speech that would allow them any type of language inside a game will have to either correct their way or get silenced.

This is good for the game and eventually the small minority of racist idiots and the like, will learn the hard way and be silenced thus giving back the various chat channels to the real players.

Ignoring players has not worked because people that used inflammatory language just caused mayhem and it lead to a bad experience to many people. Why should the majority put up with those types? Should the majority punish themselves by leaving trade chat etc. no, those idiots should be removed. The current system of banning people could only deal with extreme situations and left those guys abusing channels for a long time until they were deal with. And even after an investigation blizzard was reluctant to straight ban them. Now, it will be simple, not banned but sure as hell their venom will be contained.

Blizzard is not stupid and wont be silencing people without first investigating. So all those up in arms against it should may be look in the mirror and check their language.

In any case I will be personally using the feature very sparingly but wont hesitate with those openly racists, sexist or spamming uncontrollably in general chat.

edit: all those trolls would have had no chance in playing in a guild in vanilla. once you were known as a troll or a toxic player in vanilla, you might just as well had to reroll elsewhere because you were done on that server.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MrExcelion View Post
    How will the Silence Penalty impact your use of public channels? Do you see yourself using it more, less, or about the same?
    Zero impact at all for me.

- - - Updated - - -

1) If i started to shit talk LFR and a bunch of LFR players got annoyed and decided to report me....how in any way is that fair at all?

2) I have a very high tolerance of toxicity because i've been playing online games for a very long time i've become numb to it. But i'm really interested to see how many reports it requires to silence someone and is there a "smart" system to determine if someone was just spam reporting some random in trade chat just so they get silenced for no reason at all?

- - - Updated - - -

3) Like if i wrote that Isis have more content than WoD will i get silenced?

4) Or do i need to be incredibly toxic and just repeatedly say something like "i hope you kill yourself...your the reason why this game is awful"

5) I mean the best way that people could deal with this is if Blizzard implemented some type of ignore system in your chat where you could stop seeing what that person writes.
    1) It's very fair. Don't talk shit. Simple. Behave.

2) That's nothing to be proud of. Nor is it any good. Imagine if people become numb to violence, rape and abuse. Toxicity is not standard behavior it's because people face no repercussions due to perceived anonymity and distance from the person they talk with.

3) That would be a retarded comment but at the same time not really rude. You're not flaming anyone here.

4) Probably it's enough if you tell someone one shit sentence and get reported for it from many sources. It doesn't have to be a long talk to be toxic and irritating/sad to another player.

5) No. The best way is to punish those responsible. Cure the cause not the effect. Ignore fixes nothing. It just seperates and closes community further. Forcing people to learn and behave will actually benefit everyone long term.

- - - Updated - - -

I report someone everytime I see one player tell another to kill himself or such. If he gets a temp ban or silence all the better but he needs to know what for he got that ban or he will never learn.
    Last edited by mmoc3d7f422663; 2016-07-14 at 09:06 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    most people dont report anyways which is why trade and what not are bad in the first place.
    No. Issue is reporting does absolutely nothing. Me and other players repeatedly reported annoying trolls, but nothing ever happens to them. Trade is bad because Blizzard doesn't take actions on this reports.

So I'm worried a bit about this "review" of reports. But overall I think its better than current useless reporting feature.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by psyquest View Post

edit: all those trolls would have had no chance in playing in a guild in vanilla. once you were known as a troll or a toxic player in vanilla, you might just as well had to reroll elsewhere because you were done on that server.
    That's very true. You were basically marked by a server's community and that would be your punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by siren View Post
    You have zero rights for guild spam in trade chat. There are in game tools already for promoting your guild, use them. If your guild is advertising in trade chat it isn't worth joining. People will find the good guilds because they are good guilds, good guilds do not need to spam, they have people banging on their doors trying to get in. If you do not have people knocking on your door, perhaps spend more time making your guild worth joining.

I will be right click/report spam every guild spam I see, just like I always have, and will continue to encourage others to do the same.
    Well. Then we can only hope that there is also a penalty for malicious false reporting. Because that is what you are suggesting.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP