Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    And I do experience over 60 FPS in all situations currently in game. You then proceeded to bring up situations that aren't in game. Therefor your comment is invalid.
    You are sacrificing somewhere; most likely AA and console command modifiers to go beyond 'ultra'. Legion settings will be higher than current as well.

With basic ultra and no AA, I'm sure I can maintain above 60; but with beyond ultra (like increased spell effects, draw distances, etc) and the fancy 8x/8x msaa and bicubic resample, I do see below 60 fps and I have a oc 6700k and a 980ti.

If the poster has a z board and can find a healthy 2500k cheap, and pick up a cheap 960 or wait for a 1060 they'd be doing great; but they aren't bad now. I laugh a bit at 'tanked to 40 dos' when the consoles are doing 30 and people game just fine; wow is not a top end fps that needs über frame rates as much as it benefits from smooth frame rates.

Without a budget or info like current mobo, it is hard to give great upgrade advice to begin with. Limited budget, a decent gpu 60 series is the way to go, more budget more options.
    My PC Build 4790k @ 4.7 GHz @ 1.28v; 1080 @ +175 core, +500 memory

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zeropeorth View Post
    If the poster has a z board
    Just a note, the P series was an overclocking board too for LGA1155, the difference was that Z series had iGPU support. They decided to drop the P series after the 6 line though as no iGPU was more of an X series thing.

Deleted
    @OP your cpu needs to be upgraded if you want those fps. That means cpu-mobo-ram and probably aftermarket cpu cooler and psu. For a gpu upgrade, wow@1080p, you will pay alot for less gains than cpu upgrade i would say. Your gpu might be a little old but for 1080p and wow in not bad either.

I thought I would be able to reuse my old ram. Why not?

Deleted
    Cause current gen cpu's, skylake, needs ddr4 and you got ddr3.

There are motherboards that support DDR3 and from what I have seen, there is no real advantage in DDR4.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutia View Post
    There are motherboards that support DDR3 and from what I have seen, there is no real advantage in DDR4.
    There may be some boards that support DDR3, but intel only supports DDR3L or DDR4. Using DDR3 with a Skylake CPU can actually damage your CPU.

http://wccftech.com/skylake-does-not...ge-ddr3l-only/

So the advantage is not destroying your new CPU.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    You're being held back by your GPU not your CPU.

To put it in perspective my spare rig has an i5 2550K at stock speed and a GTX960 (similar performance to an overclocked GTX680). It plays the game fine high-ultra.
    The i5-2400 is not quite as strong as the i5-2550K, to be fair.

However, the 660 is okay, but for WoW nowadays, it would definitely have a tough time.

Personally an upgrade to either/both would help the OP.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutia View Post
    I thought I would be able to reuse my old ram.
    Do you know what make/model you RAM is? Like Rev said not all DDR3 is compatible with Skylake DDR3 boards.

Also what motherboard do you currently have? If it's a Z or P series you could try a moderate overclock on the 2400 to see if it has any effect (unlikely as the CPU is already fine as a few of us have stated).
    Last edited by caervek; 2016-07-15 at 07:28 AM.

(unlikely as the CPU is already fine as a few of us have stated).
    It's like you didn't even read the OP. The very first post, they say FPS is fine most of the time, but during heavy AoE, FPS tanks. We all know that min FPS in WoW is determined by the CPU. So therefore, while it may be fine for you, the OP is obviously unhappy with how low his FPS drops in certain situations. The fault for dips in FPS in WoW has been proven time and time again to be the fault of the CPU. GPU determines MAX FPS, CPU determines MIN FPS. Since the OP is having a problem with their MIN FPS, it's obviously not fine for them.

- - - Updated - - -

WoW is CPU dependant yes but he already has a decent CPU yet an outdated GPU.

I.E that GPU could never max out WoW no matter what CPU it was paired with but that CPU can max out WoW when paired with a decent GPU. Thus his GPU is his weak link (from the spec given).

To further emphasise the point, AMD do not currently make a CPU that's as good as his for gaming, and yet people with AMD CPUs are still able to get great WoW performance.
    re-reading through the post, and yup, you didn't bother to read or just failed to comprehend the OP. OP is not trying to max out WoW, just trying to play on a mix of Medium-High settings, which his current GPU is certainly capable of. They are only trying to prevent FPS from dipping down as low as it does. The dips are CPU related because they are not trying to max out the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zeropeorth View Post
    You are sacrificing somewhere; most likely AA and console command modifiers to go beyond 'ultra'. Legion settings will be higher than current as well.
    He never said anything about running beyond Ultra, or even trying to run on Full Ultra. Just that, with his settings, anywhere he goes and aanything he does in game he maintains 60 FPS. This is easily possible, with the right settings. It is not possible to run at Full Ultra and acheive those frames, but it certainly is possible to stay above 60 FPS all the time.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    It's like you didn't even read the OP. The very first post, they say FPS is fine most of the time, but during heavy AoE, FPS tanks.
    I know, myself and others were saying it's unlikely to be his CPU as it's fine for WoW, especially with the settings he wants to use.

So therefore, while it may be fine for you, the OP is obviously unhappy with how low his FPS drops in certain situations.
    If it's fine for me but not the OP then his problem obviously cannot be the damn CPU can it as that and RAM size is the only common denominator between his rig and my second rig.

re-reading through the post, and yup, you didn't bother to read or just failed to comprehend the OP.
    No, you just didn't bother to read or just failed to comprehend the post you quoted, the point I was making was that between his CPU and GPU the GPU is the weak link. I was not trying to say that the GPU is his problem, just that it is a weaker link than his CPU and if he was planning on an upgrade anythime soon he would be better off replacing the GPU before the CPU as it will become obsolete sooner.

OP is not trying to max out WoW, just trying to play on a mix of Medium-High settings, which his current GPU is certainly capable of.
    I will repeat this because you appear to have missed it last time, I used to have the exact same GPU and a slightly faster version of that CPU in my second machine, I replaced the GPU in MoP because I was unhappy with it's performance, I am still using the CPU because it is still fine for playing the game at high to ultra settings with the right GPU, which is higher settings than the OP desires, so his problem cannot be the CPU (and with the settings he is after is unlikely to be the GPU either in all honesty).

We all know that min FPS in WoW is determined by the CPU.
    Why do you know that? The answer is because if you walked into Stormwind/Org in 2004 with a 2.4GHz Pentium IV then the game became a slideshow, and ever since then people have been repeating "WoW is teh CPUzors dependantz!", but the reality is almost any mid range Intel CPU released in the past five years will run the game fine with decent settings, it just depends on the GPU.

To put that in perspective, my main rig has a Ivy Bridge 4930K and a 980ti, it slays WoW with everything maxxed out, however it couldn't do that with a GTX660. My second rig has a Sandy Bridge 2550K and a GTX780ti and that too slays WoW with everything maxed out, however it couldn't when that machine had a GTX660 in it. And for a final example my gaming laptop has a Sandy Bridge i5 2520m (which is basically a desktop i3) with a 7970m (HD7870 equivalent) and that slays wow with most things on high or ultra.

My laptop's CPU is essentially his CPU with half cut off, and the GPU is ~ equal to his yet I'm not having any trouble, so for the third time, that CPU is not going to be limiting him in WoW, and his issue is unlikely to be his GPU either.