Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    I will sell out right the fuck now.

Selling out, to me, means you change your content to fit your sponsor. I've seen this happen and the stream/pogcast actually get BETTER, because the change in content basically involved moving up a few notches on the maturity level.

But where selling out goes wrong is when the changes feel forced and no longer match the personality of those involved. Viewers instantly recognize these kind of changes and it can kill viewership and long-term reputation.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I don't think it's too much to ask people to give feedback based on actual abilities/testing, not hyperbole. (Celestalon)

Selling out is bad because creative integrity is forfeited when people just reproduce what's already out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Manhands View Post
    Selling out, to me, means you change your content to fit your sponsor. I've seen this happen and the stream/pogcast actually get BETTER, because the change in content basically involved moving up a few notches on the maturity level.

But where selling out goes wrong is when the changes feel forced and no longer match the personality of those involved. Viewers instantly recognize these kind of changes and it can kill viewership and long-term reputation.
    Twitch streamers/web personalities do it a lot and it can be good or bad. Aside from the nonstop mentions of Razer and whatever goonjuice he's got, Swifty's streams didn't really change when he started getting more popular and selling more products. Not really selling out, more just monetizing what you're doing, but a lot of people would still call it selling out.

An obscure webcomic I've read for a few years had the author get noticed and eventually contracted by a company. And of course that company has a big issue with a "part" of the comic's content. That "part" is a massive part of the content of the strips, and it was revealed that all of those strips were dreams, and will no longer be a part of the comic in any way.

That's selling out in an incredibly jarring way, and it is something that happens all the time, with bands, web personalities, and especially with movies.