Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Police arrest wrong guy and use stun gun on him, even after showing ID

Source

(Link has body cam video)

NEW YORK -- An attorney for a man stun gunned and arrested by Georgia police who were searching for a different man says the incident is indicative of wider problem in the Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police Department.

Patrick Mumford was charged with misdemeanor obstruction in connection with the Feb. 1 incident, which was recorded on police body cameras. Police were looking for another man, Michael Clay, when they saw Mumford sitting in a driveway.

Police can be seen twice asking Mumford for his name. He answers "Patrick" both times.

"What happened? What did I do?" Mumford asks.

"You got a warrant, dude," an officer says.

Mumford can be heard telling police that he just had a meeting with his probation officer, who would have told him if there was a warrant for his arrest.

Refusing to leave the car, Mumford asks to see the warrant.

An officer can then be seen using a stun gun on him, as another places him in cuffs.

Later, police open Mumford's wallet and, seeing his license, realize they've got the wrong man.

Mumford's attorney William Claiborne said in an interview with CBS News that incidents like Mumford's are common.

"What this speaks to is sort of the day in and day out stuff that goes on," Claiborne said. "The narrative is always that the suspect became uncooperative, but you know, Patrick wasn't uncooperative, they were the ones being aggressive."

Claiborne's law firm released an edited version of police body camera footage Thursday that quickly gained thousands of views.

In a statement released Thursday night, Joseph Lumpkin, Sr., Chief of Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police Department criticized Claiborne's video, calling it "misleading" and "intended to be inflammatory."

"The video released by the defense attorney was edited and omits significant portions wherein a relative asks the individual to be cooperative," Lumpkin said.

The Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police Department released its own longer video, which shows a woman telling Mumford that he should have cooperated. Claiborne pointed out that the officers can be heard saying they asked Mumford for identification, but in fact had not done so.

"The narrative is always that the suspect became uncooperative, but you know, Patrick wasn't uncooperative, they were the ones being aggressive," Claiborne said.

A Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police Department said the Lumpkin is not yet commenting on the case beyond the statement released Thursday.

While the obstruction charge against Mumford was dropped, Claiborne said police are attempting to have his probation revoked. Mumford, who pleaded guilty in October 2014 to misdemeanor marijuana possession and felony of a controlled substance, is scheduled to have a hearing about his probation in September.

Claiborne said it's not clear if Mumford will sue over the arrest.

"We're calling for accountability and transparency and an apology," Claiborne said. "We're asking them to take ownership of the fact that they messed up."
    What the hell, you show valid ID you're not the guy and they stun your ass anyway? Can we say lawsuit?

Wait whaaaaaaaaat? the cops said he asked him 3 times to show ID but looking at the video he didnt even mention it...am i missing something?

He has no case, he refused to exit his vehicle when asked to and so get got stunned. This whole situation could of been avoided if he listened and got out of his car

Deleted
    Egoistic people on a power trip in the U.S. police force? Wow.

Poor handling on both sides. No asking for ID and assuming just since the address for the warrant was there, that he was the guy. Poor handling on Patrick's part by immediately not cooperating even when asked for his name, he instantly questions why rather than cooperating. It's excessive force yes, but it's also poor reaction by Patrick.
    || Ryzen 5800X || Asus RTX 3070 KO OC || Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 3600 || Asus X570 || Corsair 5000D Airflow ||

This is what happens when you militarize the police and train them to be aggressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Based on what I read your title is severely wrong? He didn't show valid ID? Didn't cooperate?

Quote Originally Posted by Nakloh View Post
    Egoistic people on a power trip in the U.S. police force? Wow.
    I'm starting to wonder if people do this crap on purpose now with all media frenzy on police, just so they can sue and/or get their 15 mins of fame.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    What the hell, you show valid ID you're not the guy and they stun your ass anyway? Can we say lawsuit?
    I mean, it clearly says they tazered him then saw his id.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    uh you didn't watch the video did you? I love it when people are so gung ho to start a shit storm they don't even view the shit they linked. He didn't give them his ID. They found his wallet in his back pocket after they tazered him, and had him in cuffs.

Those Patrick and Michael guys look nothing alike.

Guy should have complied, however Police should have asked for ID, it's going to go badly for them for immediately trying to arrest guy without knowing who it was.

10+ Year Old Account
    The guy wouldn't get out of the car and resisted... What the hell do you people expect the police to do?

"Oh dang, he won't get out of the car, guess that means we gotta give up and leave..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Droodid View Post
    Poor handling on both sides. No asking for ID and assuming just since the address for the warrant was there, that he was the guy. Poor handling on Patrick's part by immediately not cooperating even when asked for his name, he instantly questions why rather than cooperating. It's excessive force yes, but it's also poor reaction by Patrick.
    The police should be willing to tell him right away why they're there though. If someone says you're under arrest and you ask why, they should tell you. If the suspect gives a name other than that on the warrant, the next step should be to ask for ID, not to tell him he's under arrest.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Casterbridge View Post
    Guy should have complied, however Police should have asked for ID, it's going to go badly for them for immediately trying to arrest guy without knowing who it was.
    Yeah, I hope it does go badly for them. Unfortunately, it may end up causing Patrick to lose his job, too, or even end up back in jail.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Casterbridge View Post
    It was stupid for him not to have complied (he's lucky he didn't get shot, honestly). But I place the greater expectation on the police to do their jobs right. If a kid and an adult are both acting badly towards each other, I'm going to lay the greater part of the blame on the adult, even if the kid could have handled it better.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Droodid View Post
    Never questions the police? Is that the takeaway?

From the quoted article:

In a statement released Thursday night, Joseph Lumpkin, Sr., Chief of Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police Department criticized Claiborne's video, calling it "misleading" and "intended to be inflammatory."

"The video released by the defense attorney was edited and omits significant portions wherein a relative asks the individual to be cooperative," Lumpkin said.

Yet another case were we don't know the whole story but, 1000 pages of arguing will proceed and be finished long before we have all the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Never questions the police? Is that the takeaway?
    Obey lawful orders from the police and let them do their jobs, yes. He could easily and calmly have explained who he was and showed them his I.D. after they detained him.

If people just acted reasonably when confronted by police instead of having a giant chip on their shoulder most of the problems being whined about in the U.S. wouldn't exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Obey lawful orders from the police and let them do their jobs, yes. He could easily and calmly have explained who he was and showed them his I.D. after they detained him.

If people just acted reasonably when confronted by police instead of having a giant chip on their shoulder most of the problems being whined about in the U.S. wouldn't exist.
    There is a time and place to challenge the validity of an arrest and it's not on the scene. How dumb can people be to not understand the basics of how the law works? I don't get these roadside tough guys.

You can say it, but the laws protect the pigs from getting sued, yep i know it is so fucked up it is scary

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post

unlawful arrests are unlawful but it shocks me to see how some are willing to steamroll out the police state of show papers please insanity