Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I'm not really sure I see how teaching people about random nobodies just for the sake of being inclusive is adding value to education. That's why I mentioned a weed puller. It's just someone who is theoretically irrelevant to the unfolding of history, like any random IT guy would be today, not someone who provides a significantly thought provoking alternate perspective on history. If said weed puller randomly provided us with a very detailed account of something, then it might be worth exploring them and their account, but "Tokenius Gayvius was a Roman who helped maintain their roads by removing weeds. [End]" seems like a rather worthless inclusion and the exact type of thing you would disapprove of spending time on.
    Well sadly you have me on ignore, so you wont get to enjoy me agreeing wholeheartedly with you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    The indoctrination continues.

Oh well, California is so far gone anyways. Doesn't surprise me.
    Oh bugger off with your bitterness though can't say im surprised you're against education

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Only you and 2 others showed aggression
    What aggression, saying about how I feel about English?

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    If said weed puller randomly provided us with a very detailed account of something, then it might be worth exploring them and their account, but "Tokenius Gayvius was a Roman who helped maintain their roads by removing weeds. [End]" seems like a rather worthless inclusion and the exact type of thing you would disapprove of spending time on.
    If there was something like that in a historical document, it would actually be really important. Although someone like Barak Obama does impactful things, not very many people are Barak Obama or have been president of the US. Most people have jobs involving manual labor or performing other unskilled tasks, so the life of someone who did similar things a long time ago is a lot more important to them than what it is like to be president.

Also consider that there were people maintaining roads 2000 years ago just as they are now and you see that all of these important people haven't changed things as much as you think.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    What aggression, saying about how I feel about English?
    Yeah considering it was completely irrelevant to anything said

7+ Year Old Account
    Oh bugger off with your bitterness though can't say im surprised you're against education
    Not against education. But as somebody pointed out, special treatment causes resentment.

Not against education. But as somebody pointed out, special treatment causes resentment.
    Would you call the afro-american civil right movement special treatment too? Or religion lessons?

Deleted
    So we shouldn't mention Jews when educating about WW2?

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    By definition, putting the history of a bunch of individuals into the 'LGBT History' category is creating an 'us vs them' mentality. It's promoting the idea that there is no overlap between the LGBT community and the non-LGBT community. It's promoting the polarization of sexuality. I don't think this is the right way to do things unless you're trying to foster cultural divisions.

Maybe as a biologist, I just don't see the relevance in teaching this. We can derive higher-resolution approximate truths from biological observations. We don't need history to justify our decisions in this regard.
    Ideally it would be incorporated into the rest of history seamlessly and wouldn't be highlighted as the "LGBT topic."

Biology can't explain the social aspects of sexuality. For that you need history and sociology and a little psychology.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Special treatment only causes resentment when some one loses an opportunity to someone else. No one else is losing any opportunity and no one is gaining anything. Do physicists resent chemists when chemistry is taught over physics?
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah considering it was completely irrelevant to anything said
    It's always relevant.

All right people, let's make a deal. No courses on LGBT (read : mentionning them ) but on the other side, no ''intelligent design'' and no textbooks claiming the civil war was about state rights.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    All right people, let's make a deal. No courses on LGBT (read : mentionning them ) but on the other side, no ''intelligent design'' and no textbooks claiming the civil war was about state rights.
    Is intelligent design a thing in some American schools? Even Catholic schools here in Ontario don't teach intelligent design...
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Is intelligent design a thing in some American schools? Even Catholic schools here in Ontario don't teach intelligent design...
    Depends on the school. Mine had absolutely nothing involving religious stuff like that, but I've heard of schools farther south that teach it next to evolution so people can "get every viewpoint".

I struggle to envision a meaningfully unified curriculum if the subject keeps having sub-divisions tacked on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Not intelligent design, but "God given" education is part of the GOP platform leaked on Tuesday.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by monkmastaeq View Post
    forum censorship prevents me from commenting further

get infracted again for stating an opinion backed by overwhelming statistics
    I do like the statistics. The worse that can happen is you get a few days ban for speaking the truth. Give it a shot!

I don't know about your education system but over here History was always taught in themes from Vikings, Saxons, Greeks, Egypt, WW2, Victorian, etc. Then they were more detailed sections like history of women, black civil movement, black death, etc. Seems LGBT history would fit in, after all we're already taught homosexuality was illegal
    Except none of the things you listed, and especially nothing sexually oriented, should be taught to second graders. I'm all for states being able to make the dumbest mistakes they want for their state, as long as people have the ability to flee that state to one more rational, and I learned a lot of stupid crap in high school so that I doubt a section based around gay history wouldn't really be that bothersome, but the fact of the matter is teenagers don't even have fully developed brains nor do they have advanced critical thinking skills so how in the world could it be a good idea to introduce this to second graders. They don't even have a sexual identity with which they need to feel they aren't identify with properly.

I can understand putting LGBT rights in a history lesson but that should be in middle or highschool, shouldn't be in second grade

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Not intelligent design, but "God given" education is part of the GOP platform leaked on Tuesday.
    Religions are taunt in schools, i.e. what they are and the fundamental factors of them, where they originated, who practices them, etc. Advanced concepts of The Bible are not taught in public schools.