Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

U.S. Wins First Place at International Mathematics Competition in Hong Kong

Tiny bit of good news for a change.

For the second year in a row, the U.S. team won first place at the 57th International Mathematical Olympiad (IMO) in Hong Kong, July 6-16.

The IMO is the World Championship Mathematics Competition for High School students, where the brightest mathematics students from more than 100 countries compete. The winning U.S. team score was 214 out of a possible 252, ahead of the Republic of Korea (207) and China (204).

“We are very excited to bring home another first-place IMO award, which serves as a recognition for the the high standard of mathematical creativity and problem-solving capabilities we have in our country,”said Po-Shen Loh, lead coach for the U.S. team and associate professor of mathematics at Carnegie Mellon University.

The six U.S. team members were selected through a series of competitions organized by the Mathematical Association of America (MAA), culminating with the USA Mathematical Olympiad. The six team members joined 70 of their peers at Carnegie Mellon University in June to immerse themselves in problem solving for three weeks at MAA’s Mathematical Olympiad Summer Program.

“We have been running the U.S. Olympiad training program with a focus on the long-term development of our country’s talent, and it’s great to see that reflected in the continued team success a second year in a row,” said MAA Executive Director Michael Pearson.

Members of the winning 2016 U.S. team were Ankan Bhattacharya, Michael Kural, Allen Liu, Junyao Peng, Ashwin Sah, and Yuan Yao, all of whom were awarded gold medals for their individual scores. Team members Liu and Yao each earned perfect test scores. The team was accompanied by Loh and deputy coach Razvan Gelca, professor of mathematics and statistics at Texas Tech University.

IMO scores are based on the number of points scored by individual team members on six problems. On each day of the two-day competition, the teams have 4.5 hours to work on three problems. Liu and Kural are the only returning team members from last year’s winning U.S. team.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Tiny bit of good news for a change.

For the second year in a row, the U.S. team won first place at the 57th International Mathematical Olympiad (IMO) in Hong Kong, July 6-16.

The IMO is the World Championship Mathematics Competition for High School students, where the brightest mathematics students from more than 100 countries compete. The winning U.S. team score was 214 out of a possible 252, ahead of the Republic of Korea (207) and China (204).

“We are very excited to bring home another first-place IMO award, which serves as a recognition for the the high standard of mathematical creativity and problem-solving capabilities we have in our country,”said Po-Shen Loh, lead coach for the U.S. team and associate professor of mathematics at Carnegie Mellon University.

The six U.S. team members were selected through a series of competitions organized by the Mathematical Association of America (MAA), culminating with the USA Mathematical Olympiad. The six team members joined 70 of their peers at Carnegie Mellon University in June to immerse themselves in problem solving for three weeks at MAA’s Mathematical Olympiad Summer Program.

“We have been running the U.S. Olympiad training program with a focus on the long-term development of our country’s talent, and it’s great to see that reflected in the continued team success a second year in a row,” said MAA Executive Director Michael Pearson.

Members of the winning 2016 U.S. team were Ankan Bhattacharya, Michael Kural, Allen Liu, Junyao Peng, Ashwin Sah, and Yuan Yao, all of whom were awarded gold medals for their individual scores. Team members Liu and Yao each earned perfect test scores. The team was accompanied by Loh and deputy coach Razvan Gelca, professor of mathematics and statistics at Texas Tech University.

IMO scores are based on the number of points scored by individual team members on six problems. On each day of the two-day competition, the teams have 4.5 hours to work on three problems. Liu and Kural are the only returning team members from last year’s winning U.S. team.
    Very proud of those five intelligent young men. Great work, guys!

EU Math EleGiggle
    "I have friends, many friends. I have friends in China, India, Russia." "I will make deals, lots of deals. I'm good at making deals. Deals, deals, deals."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rethul Ur No View Post
    Very proud of those five intelligent young men. Great work, guys!
    which one arent you proud of then?

i see three asian americans on the team. gotta fight fire with fire.

I guess this means 'math' > 'maths' for another year.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    I see five.

My thought exactly.
    Nationality does not tend to equal the ethnicity of many teams nowadays in anything.
    Can't blame them taking any advantage they can get.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    You need to see your optometrist them cause there are 5 in that picture. Hint: India is in Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    I see five.
    indians/pakistanis(i can't tell which they are) aren't asians in america.

Oh look Asia won!

Quote Originally Posted by monkmastaeq View Post
    which one arent you proud of then?
    The non-asian one.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    You need to see your optometrist them cause there are 5 in that picture. Hint: India is in Asia.
    even if it becomes more widely accepted in america, i'll just never think of them as asians. asians = epicanthal fold, unless it's native americans.

So 3 Asians, 1 Indian/pakistani, 1 white kid and what appears to be a Latino or another Asian, won for America. I love it.

But I think the math team is super racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic. No black kids, no girls, no over the top cartoony gays and no easily identifiable trans person. Sickening.

indians/pakistanis(i can't tell which they are) aren't asians in america.
    Yes they are.

even if it becomes more widely accepted in america, i'll just never think of them as asians. asians = epicanthal fold, unless it's native americans.
    You do know that many Asians dun have it, right? Like many Chinese dun have one, well, two

Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    Yes they are.
    not that i've ever heard of.

only ever heard that from euros.

but anyway, i was just joking about that. i like the diversity of the american team honestly, shows our melting pot society off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    Oh look Asia won!
    America won for having these brilliant kids as part of our next generation.

10+ Year Old Account
    So they have the white kid to keep it American? that how this works?

And the world mocks our American measurements! Your 'easy to use' metric system has made you weak!
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    WoW is ending soon. Mark my words right here right now.
    They're shifting to a Diablo MMO and putting World of Warcraft on hold for the moment/a while.
    Prophet tikcol at your disposal any day, any time.
    Spoken by the great prophet on 6/29/17