Red face PVE Veteran... John Snow at PVP.

Hi!!!

Have been playing WoW since forever but never got into PVP, just some little BG fights and so...

About 1 week ago I started to do Arenas and I am loving it, the this a really new whole world!

I have got some questions, I hope you guys can help me:

1. Does mouse usage is a must to PvP? I am asking that cause I play using asdw + strafe keys and all my spell are at my numpad. So basically I use 1 to 5 and NumPad 0 to 9, - and +. I have seen some "pro" people playing and seems the will always use move to move camera around.

2. How do I manage to use more of my mouse if I use all those keys above? For example, 1 to 4 are CDs, NumPad 0 to 9 are all my spells.

3. Is there a guide about arenas? I mean, basic stuff that any player can use?

I guess this is it... any tip or advice will be very welcome!

Ahhhh btw, I playing as DK frost and could try Unholy, but I found really no much info about Unholy priorities :/

Thanks guys!!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Mouse is mandatory, even if you still use WASD for fine adjustments to movement. Keyboard turn = bad. I may mainly be a PvE hero like you, but even then, the biggest thing I can recommend is shift, alt and control binding. "Even" for PvE, 1 through = is not enough, and anything past 5 on the keyboard is very awkward to press. I suggest Shift+1,2,3,4,5 as abilities/CDs(especially abilities that proc/have procs e.g. Howling Blast and Freezing Fog), Shift+F,G,D,X,C,V,Q as defensives and other abilities, etc. For something like Remorseless Winter or Heroism that you want to save and NOT fatfinger, something deliberately multi-part and sort of awkward like shift+alt+e, with alt bound to a mouse button. Maybe alt+1,2,3,4 for odd CDs like AMS that are both offensive and defensive or utility. Lots of mice have extra buttons, and you don't need a fancy gaming mouse for it either. My Microsoft mouse works just fine.

As far as PvP specific advice, just from someone who does nothing rated, be aware of your surroundings and exploit them. Is a warlock casting Chaos Bolt at you? Go behind a pillar or otherwise LOS him. Are you near a melee teammate, and you're trying to kill the same healer? Throw a silence before bursting after deathgripping them over into your glyphed DnD near your melee team mate.
    Last edited by Freedom; 2016-07-15 at 08:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Ok, I give up. This is pointless.
    Many Multitudes Online Constantly Harping About Minor Problems
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    I may mainly be a PvE hero like you, but even then, the biggest thing I can recommend is shift, alt and control binding. "Even" for PvE, 1 through = is not enough, and anything past 5 on the keyboard is very awkward to press. I suggest Shift+1,2,3,4,5 as abilities/CDs(especially abilities that proc/have procs e.g. Howling Blast and Freezing Fog), Shift+F,G,D,X,C,V,Q as defensives and other abilities, etc. For something like Remorseless Winter or Heroism that you want to save and NOT fatfinger, something deliberately multi-part and sort of awkward like shift+alt+e, with alt bound to a mouse button. Maybe alt+1,2,3,4 for odd CDs like AMS that are both offensive and defensive or utility. Lots of mice have extra buttons, and you don't need a fancy gaming mouse for it either. My Microsoft mouse works just fine.

All this.

An extra mouse button or 2 are super nice; then using those buttons with shift and control bindings as well!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by olivete View Post
    3. Is there a guide about arenas? I mean, basic stuff that any player can use?
    What exactly do you mean?

Also as a former frost dk pvper (been maining back my Enh shammy), there's a ton of videos on youtube on specific pvp builds, talents, rotations, etc... also research on the type of comp you want to run for your 2s or 3s as some seem to be more effective than others.

Id recomend getting a mmo mouse razer naga or a corsair so you can use your mouse to move and still use your right hand to cast....really helped me a lot.

I moved my movement keys to TFGH 10 years ago for WoW pvp. Gives me access to "A S D J K, Q W E R Y U, 4 5 6 7, Z X B N" for easy keybinds, which covers Legion pvp no problem.

Takes a little while to adjust to TFGH but all my friends are now moved to this method as its just far easier to single hand key press everything in wow

10+ Year Old Account
    Start slow with additional Mouse- and/or Keybinds, dont rush it. One or two at a time until you are accostumed to them, then add one or two more and when you are learning new binds always learn one important and one not so important or minor at the same time. Dont Overload yourself or the shiny new mouse or keyboard was just a big waste of money.

Also when you think about a Naga or a simmilar mouse consider the size of your Hand. When you got bigger hands or prefer bigger or heavier mice try the Logitech counterpart, dont get stuck on one Brand bcs. ppl tend to name the Naga as "THE" refference for an MMO Mouse.

Remember to bind simmilar spells to the same binds when you use different speccs or classes. For example i always have my signature spell on E and my escape machanic on Q.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollcage8 View Post
    I moved my movement keys to TFGH 10 years ago for WoW pvp. Gives me access to "A S D J K, Q W E R Y U, 4 5 6 7, Z X B N" for easy keybinds, which covers Legion pvp no problem.

Takes a little while to adjust to TFGH but all my friends are now moved to this method as its just far easier to single hand key press everything in wow
    I'm sorry but I just had to reply to this one. Don't do this. By doing this you remove the ability to reach the control, shift and alt modifiers and thus you end up REMOVING a lot more keybinds than you free up.

Mouse movement is key to WoW PvP. Keyboard-turning is a strict no-no and will get you sorted into the trash bin very quickly. If you can't get used to mouse movement you won't be able to succeed in PvP.

As others have said, start out slow. I would recommend starting with rebinding your strafe keys to A and D respectively and completely unbinding the keyboard-turn keys. That will naturally force you into using your mouse for movement. Rebind the rest of your abilities as you go such that you can still play your character.

Getting a mouse like the G600/Naga for Arena123 binds is also very beneficial once you have a general grip on how PvP works. Getting at least Death Grip, Strangulate/Asphyxiate, Chains of Ice and Icy Touch on Arena123 is highly recommended as a DK, but don't do it all at once as it will most likely overwhelm you.

There is not a real guide to Arena PvP. But in general it basically goes like this (especially at low ratings): Pick a kill-target (something that is either really important that you stop from going berserk on its own, something that's easy to kill, or something that heals) and a CC-target (generally the healer, could also be the best peeler/off-healer if your kill target is the healer). Then you proceed to create CC chains on your CC-target by lining up CC of different DR categories one after another (or even of the same category sometimes) while at the same time trying to kill your kill target. Try to time your CC chains such that the kill target does not have any defensives up, or that you can guarantee that you will force his defensives during it (so that you can kill him in the next CC chain). Depending on which comp you play your CC chains, and their length, differ a lot. DK comps generally (WW/DK/HPala) will want to Leg Sweep into Fists of Fury on the kill target while bursting him down (preferably also stunning the off target) while simultaniously sapping/HoJ'ing/Strangulating the CC target.

Once you get higher rating, and depending on which comp you play, you can start switching kill & cc targets mid-fight as you see fit (what cooldowns or buffs they/you have etc).

Mind you the specific tactics of how to play WW/DK/HPala will change with Legion.