Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Cool Canada and Finland top the world's Social Progress Index

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...best-countries

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7109576.html

Finland is the most socially progressive country in the world while the war torn Central African Republic is the least progressive, a new study has found.

The Scandinavian country scored highest of the 133 countries ranked in an index by the Social Progress Initiative on the extent to which the country fulfilled the social and environmental needs of its citizens.

Finland was followed by Canada, Denmark, Australia, Switzerland with the United Kingdom coming ninth and the United States 19th.

The Central African Republic, which is suffering from deeply engrained ethnic and political rivalries, was joined at the bottom of the list by Afghanistan, Chad, Angola and Niger.

The executive director of the Social Progress Initiative, Michael Green said: "Our data shows that economic growth is generally a good thing.
    The index, published by the Social Progress Imperative, a U.S.-based nonprofit, uses 53 indicators to measure such things as health care, housing, policing, personal rights and tolerance in 133 countries. Canada ranks first or ties for first on 13 of those indicators.
    “Canada is unequivocally one of the world’s most socially progressive countries and one of the best countries in the world to live,” said Michael Green, the index’s director.

“Second is a very impressive performance,’ Green said in an interview. “It does in a way dispel this myth that it’s only the Nordic countries that can do well on social progress.”

We might even have knocked off those pesky Finns for first overall but for a 25th place ranking on access to information and communications, a score depressed by our seriously low level of cell phone subscriptions (we rank 102nd globally).
    I hope we can our cell phone record and take the number 1 spot next year.

Where did your country rank and are you happy with how socially progressive your country is?

My country is so socially progressive it doesn't even care.

Unlike certain other northern countries whose constant, obsessive need for validation makes them seem more than a little insecure.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I read the title, and knew it was a tennisace thread...did I win anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiira View Post
    I could throw a shoe out of my window and hit a more reliable source than noxxic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    But Tennisace I want you to provide a solution. You're our only hope.

It seems a lot of the top countries are allowing muslims in, and in many cases said muslims commit rapes and other crimes on their native populations. Are these countries doing this just so they can rank higher on this meaningless Social Progress Index? Does this help them feel better about themselves? lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    It seems a lot of the top countries are allowing muslims in, and in many cases said muslims commit rapes and other crimes on their native populations. Are these countries doing this just so they can rank higher on this meaningless Social Progress Index? Does this help them feel better about themselves? lol
    Not true in Canada. Get your facts straight.

Finland still has very low crime rate despite teh muslems.

Maybe we are just better at integrating people into our society than some others?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    My country is so socially progressive it doesn't even care.

Unlike certain other northern countries whose constant, obsessive need for validation makes them seem more than a little insecure.
    Wouldn't it be number 1 if this were really the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    "The executive director of the Social Progress Initiative, Michael Green said: "Our data shows that economic growth is generally a good thing."

They needed data to realize this?

- - - Updated - - -

There is no country in the world that doesn't allow Muslims in. The US might become the first one though, if the carpet guy wins the elections!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Yeah, yeah, cold countries with lot's of white people.

When everyone knows the happiest people on the planet live in Africa.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Great time to be from Scandinavia.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post

There is no country in the world that doesn't allow Muslims in. The US might become the first one though, if the carpet guy wins the elections!
    We got enough crime as it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    We got enough crime as it is.
    Well, you should then stop allowing anyone but Asian Buddhists in, since Asian Buddhists tend to have the lowest crime rates!
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Deckon View Post
    If Canada were a person, the amount of handjobs and bjs Tenn gives would lead Canada bone dry and chafed.

Deleted
    Can we finally get him banned again please?

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    "The executive director of the Social Progress Initiative, Michael Green said: "Our data shows that economic growth is generally a good thing."

They needed data to realize this?
    To be fair, Michael Green seems like the sort of person who pretends to be surprised by a lot of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Not true in Canada. Get your facts straight.
    If Canada is so socially progressive, then why does it not have a free movement of labour policy instead of the closed border cherry pick system it currently uses hmmmmmm?

Social progressive list debunked right there.

Your index list is meaningless.

Thank you.

/bows

Quote Originally Posted by Deckon View Post
    If I had the money, I would make a game of it and issue prizes. Like free games and shit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Great time to be from Scandinavia.
    Finland isn't a part of Scandinavia.

Neither is Canada, last I checked.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Economists get bored and make worthless indexes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynseyvw View Post
    If Canada is so socially progressive, then why does it not have a free movement of labour policy instead of the closed border cherry pick system it currently uses hmmmmmm?

Social progressive list debunked right there.
    This is... a bit more complex than that.