Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum

Any hot pepper growers here?

I need to grow these bad boys for reasons. Carolina Reapers.

Can these things be grown indoors? I have a friend that does this every summer and makes a mason jar full of hot sauce..but I want to be self-sufficient.

I don't grow peppers but it's my understanding that they need a ton of sunlight, hence why they grow well in regions like New Mexico...if you're going to go the indoor route you should probably plan on getting some grow lights.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I don't grow peppers but it's my understanding that they need a ton of sunlight, hence why they grow well in regions like New Mexico...if you're going to go the indoor route you should probably plan on getting some grow lights.
    thats what I figured. I'll try again next summer. Maybe I can buy the reaper flakes online.

http://www.bbg.org/gardening/article...eppers_indoors

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    thats what I figured. I'll try again next summer. Maybe I can buy the reaper flakes online.
    Good luck! I know some peppers do better than others indoors, maybe do some reading up.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.bbg.org/gardening/article...eppers_indoors

- - - Updated - - -

Good luck! I know some peppers do better than others indoors, maybe do some reading up.
    I am curious to see what crops the users here have going on so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    send some my way when your done growing them.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    I might get flagged for shipping anthrax or something. I would if i could.

Mulberries on the tree are ripening so I'm going to be making jam soon Herb garden is small, thyme sage basil etc. Lavender is in bloom, going to dry some next week if I have the time. All the fruit-bearing plans have ripened early this year, very warm spring and a cool summer...odd Portland weather. Picked a bucket's worth of blackberries a half a block away from my house, plucked a fresh plum off of a tree during my walk the other day.

Simple pleasures...amazing living in a place where I can just pick fruit off of a tree.

I do grow habanero (Capsicum chinense) and jalapenos, mine are on a balcony (south side of house to get most sun), they grow slower here in germany but it works, I started with seeds in january and now some weeks ago I was able to harvest the first jalapenos.

You should be able to grow that stuff indoor with enough sun and proper care.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    I was going to tag you in this thread, figured you'd be interested in a pepper thread.

Mulberries on the tree are ripening so I'm going to be making jam soon Herb garden is small, thyme sage basil etc. Lavender is in bloom, going to dry some next week if I have the time. All the fruit-bearing plans have ripened early this year, very warm spring and a cool summer...odd Portland weather. Picked a bucket's worth of blackberries a half a block away from my house, plucked a fresh plum off of a tree during my walk the other day.

Simple pleasures...amazing living in a place where I can just pick fruit off of a tree.
    I want fruit trees! D:

I did atleast get 15 liters of blueberries from the forest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account

I would love to grow a herb garden. I would actually love it more than hot peppers. spice is life.

We pickle these.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

We pickle these.
    I'm still a nub about growing peppers..is that yellow banana peppers?

10+ Year Old Account
    I’m shocked that i’m the first person to visually express curiosity as to why you need something that is as mind-fuckingly spicy as a Caronlina Reaper pepper. If you’re going to use it as a food additive, just go with ghost peppers, they’re easier to grow(from what knowledge I possess on the subject), and they’re slightly less lethal.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    I’m shocked that i’m the first person to visually express curiosity as to why you need something that is as mind-fuckingly spicy as a Caronlina Reaper pepper. If you’re going to use it as a food additive, just go with ghost peppers, they’re easier to grow(from what knowledge I possess on the subject), and they’re slightly less lethal.
    curiousity killed the cat as the saying goes. I am experimenting.

10+ Year Old Account
    curiousity killed the cat as the saying goes. I am experimenting.
    Just as long you know what you’re in for, all the power to you.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Deleted
    I'm by no means an expert but got two Habanero plants going in the greenhouse right now and they're doing very well. My mom planted them from seed in pots already in March and kept them in-doors until end of May. We kept them in the sun-side window, with heater on full blast during the entire germination period. They need to be kept warm at all times so make sure they have it warm and cozy. They say they need a lot of sun but I don't think it's as important as warmth because these fucks germinated fine during the very limited sun hours that a Swedish winter/early spring gives.

When we first replanted them in May we put them outside in our garden. They honestly didn't do too well out there despite an unusually warm and sunny spring. Not sure if it was the soil temperature killing them or the wind. So we replanted them once again, this time inside the greenhouse. Since then they've gone from smallish to decently sized plants with 10-15 fruits on each. From what I've gathered: Keep them warm(+75f), keep them out of wind and give them a lot of light. Entirely possible to grow them indoors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    Just as long you know what you’re in for, all the power to you.
    this canadian is taking baby steps.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Buljo View Post
    I'm by no means an expert but got two Habanero plants going in the greenhouse right now and they're doing very well. My mom planted them from seed in pots already in March and kept them in-doors until end of May. We kept them in the sun-side window, with heater on full blast during the entire germination period. They need to be kept warm at all times so make sure they have it warm and cozy. They say they need a lot of sun but I don't think it's as important as warmth because these fucks germinated fine during the very limited sun hours that a Swedish winter/early spring gives.

When we first replanted them in May we put them outside in our garden. They honestly didn't do too well out there despite an unusually warm and sunny spring. Not sure if it was the soil temperature killing them or the wind. So we replanted them once again, this time inside the greenhouse. Since then they've gone from smallish to decently sized plants with 10-15 fruits on each. From what I've gathered: Keep them warm(+75f), keep them out of wind and give them a lot of light. Entirely possible to grow them indoors.
    so its all about the warmth. this makes total sense.

I would love to grow a herb garden. I would actually love it more than hot peppers. spice is life.
    Spices grow really well in cooler/damper environments, for the most part. Depending on where you're at in Canada, an herb garden is really easy to grow and take care of...might be true for most places...out here, rosemary and fennel grow like weeds.