Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Macbook Pro 2016

Hey everybody,
    I am planning to get a new macbook - and want to be able to play WoW on it (dedicated - eg. Raid etc).
    In other words, I don't care about how good everything looks (I prefer the old looks anyway) - it should just run smooth (of course during 20+m raiding) and show everything essential (for movement).

What is the minimum macbook configuration for this? Would some kind of 13" work or does it have to be 15" (assuming the small screen wouldnt matter to me)?

Thanks a lot in advance!

@KOM93, TBH, I'm not really sure about viability of MBPs for M raiding

You'll have to get maxed out 15" model, cuz you'll definitely need dedicated graphics card for raiding. You'll HAVE TO get Radeon Pro 460, it's on par w/ NVIDIA GTX570, so you can expect something like ~30 fps in raid environment @ 1920x1200 or <=50% render scale, and relatively low graphics settings, 4+-, but that's best case scenario. Ofc you may try going lower, but some ground spell animations/telegraphs will disapear.

I know it, cuz I tried it, I have MBP too, but in WoW I only use it to bench my addons, cuz I need to know how they impact low-end PCs T_T I don't think it's a good investment for gaming, but I hope you're getting yours for some other reason, for instance, I needed it cuz of Xcode, but my MBP was provided by my employer
    Last edited by ls-; 2016-11-25 at 07:35 AM.

You'd be better off getting a Windows gaming laptop with a decent GPU and good cooling. The main problems with gaming on a MBP are CPU throttling due to the 90c thermal cutoff and the lack of good GPU offerings. They optimize for slim profile and don't include sufficient cooling to run even 2 of the 4 cores at 100% for any significant period of time without throttling, and the GPU is going to contribute a lot to heat buildup.

For about the same price as the base 13" you can get a pretty beastly gaming laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Plastkin View Post
    For about the same price as the base 13" you can get a pretty beastly gaming laptop.
    He'll need 15" MBP w/ radeon pro 460, that's $2700-$3000. 13" MBPs come w/ iGPUs only T_T

Deleted
    Why is this not in the Computers section?

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    He'll need 15" MBP w/ radeon pro 460, that's $2700-$3000. 13" MBPs come w/ iGPUs only T_T
    Not to mention they are only dual cores. Apple has put all their focus on the netbook market in the last couple of years (with a few exceptions). That's great if you want the thin, light, and stylish experience most people associate with a Macbook, but it's not great for gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

Deleted
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013
    processor 2,3 GHz Intel Core i7
    16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB
    Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

this is what i play on, costed me 2500 euros or something. i play on 'fair' and it never drops below 30. it often is higher. the resolution is way higher tho, than windows computers.

i have no complaints.

Unsure about Legion vs WoD, but I was running Wow, and did raid on it once or twice on a 13" MBPR from 2013 during WoD. It had to be on the lowest settings, and was at about 15-30 fps during the start of a fight. So it wasn't ideal but it could do it. I would definitely recommend getting something with at least dedicated graphics.

Deleted
    If it has to be a macbook...

you are probably going to have a better time buying;
    a somewhat lower range macbook AND a designated PC for gaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cons:

1. Overheat. Good luck playing WoW for 6Hr + without overheating. Yes, you can have the fancy Macbook, Alienware, external cooling unit blah blah it will OVERHEAT. Fan will get louder.
    2. You will lag in 20m+ raid or groups or whatever. It will handle it but not great. IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT MACBOOK PRO!
    3. what others have said.

Solution:

Desktop PC master race

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Illuvatar View Post
    16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

this is what i play on, costed me 2500 euros or something. i play on 'fair' and it never drops below 30. it often is higher. the resolution is way higher tho, than windows computers.

i have no complaints.

10 minutes on the googles found me a 15" laptop with a GTX 1070, i7-6700k (4.0GHz), 16gb RAM, 4k screen, 256gb SSD and 1TB HDD. Costs 2299 USD, which at the current exchange rate is about 2170 Euro. (I can upgrade it to a 1TB SSD for ~200 Euro more)
    Oh, and it comes with a free game.

Macbooks are fairly low powered systems nowadays, and most of them have lacking thermal solutions (Some are entirely passive) which means you DO NOT want to game on them if it can be avoided

If you have enough money to waste in this shit you can surely buy one macbook and one dedicated gaming computer

10+ Year Old Account
    You'd be better off buying a windows laptop. It would be about half the price for 2-3x the power. If you insist on a mac, expect to play on medium settings and to get mediocre FPS. I've played on one, it's not great.

If you really plan on having a dedicated raiding computer, just buy a desktop. It's even cheaper and more powerful.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you HAVE to get a Macbook Pro, go for an older model. The newest models are a laughing stock for their price. I honestly think Apple should outsource their marketing team to others. Making worse products year after year and people lap it up and queue for it for days.

Saying that, they do well for a dongle company that happens to sell phones and computers.

Deleted
    Don't buy a MacBook Pro.

They are and have being for a while mediocre household computers; they aren't intended for gaming.

Deleted
    we dnt care if your getting a macbook maybe if you had a brain which you dnt cos you spent money on a mac, and posted this in the wrong section

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Illuvatar View Post
    16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

i have no complaints.
    and for that amount of money you could have bought an i7 windows pc with a high end GPU and play any game you want, instead you fell into apples trap

Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post
    we dnt care if your getting a macbook maybe if you had a brain which you dnt cos you spent money on a mac, and posted this in the wrong section

- - - Updated - - -

and for that amount of money you could have bought an i7 windows pc with a high end GPU and play any game you want, instead you fell into apples trap
    And what if he wants to move around a lot? Desktop kinda crappy in that department.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    And what if he wants to move around a lot? Desktop kinda crappy in that department.
    Allow me to quote myself:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    10 minutes on the googles found me a 15" laptop with a GTX 1070, i7-6700k (4.0GHz), 16gb RAM, 4k screen, 256gb SSD and 1TB HDD. Costs 2299 USD, which at the current exchange rate is about 2170 Euro. (I can upgrade it to a 1TB SSD for ~200 Euro more)
    Oh, and it comes with a free game.
    Better specs than the Macbook he listed off, cheaper, and is still portable

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post

well he never mentioned that he just posted what he bought like stroking his dick cos he wasted money on a mac

Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post
    well he never mentioned that he just posted what he bought like stroking his dick cos he wasted money on a mac
    Waste is a debate and matter of opinion. Also usually people who buy a Laptop for gaming do it due to either space or the portability. I hate Macs but end of day not my money to spend.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    Allow me to quote myself:

Better specs than the Macbook he listed off, cheaper, and is still portable
    Yep. Not saying there isn't better I said if he wants the portability then a Macbook or Laptop is fine. I have an MSI laptop that I use and I paid around £899 for it. Considerably cheaper and way better specs than a macbook.