Hard time picking a spec for legion?

This time around I am having a huge problem in picking which spec I want to play in legion on my warlock, all 3 of them have a massive problem that just ruins it for me. Rerolling is not an option for me since warlock is the only class I want to play, I rather stop playing the game and find something else.

How do you guys feel about picking a spec for legion?

I feel warlocks have the worst talents when it comes to flexibility, its either pure aoe or pure single target. Taking 1 destroys you ability to perform the other.

How do you guys feel about picking a spec for legion?

Affliction, the artifact traits seems so weird as to where they all resolve around having to kill stuff at a constant phase to be even the slightest useful. I don't like that my oh so powerful artifact is shit tier until I atleast kill 5 targets to even stack the traits to be useful.

Demonology, lack of target switching and possible aoe, the only aoe seems to be the implosion talent that will completely fuck over your single target dmg if you need it before the imps duration is running out. The main aoe ability Demonwrath does less dmg than the post nerf WOD Rain of Fire for destruction.

Destruction, it has become way to simple, and the mastery is the real killer for me, I dont want to cast a powerful chaosbolt only to have it deal less dmg than a well rolled incinerate cast. Wtf is that about.

@UP Those 3 threads

But by the way, is it only me or... is it normal that destro ST > affli ST @Legion ? Ofc look at Enemy Damage taken instead of Damage Done cuz Skada counts damage done to Soul Effigy @Affliction

10+ Year Old Account
    That's what I observe too especially if you go balls to the wall single target with Blaze and Serv, Affliction has terrible single target for me and I don't understand why.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    That's what I observe too especially if you go balls to the wall single target with Blaze and Serv, Affliction has terrible single target for me and I don't understand why.
    Because it's artifact causes reliance on mob deaths to do damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Turturin the Warlock View Post
    Because it's artifact causes reliance on mob deaths to do damage.
    Yeah, why they decided that the main part of the golden affliction traits should be completely useless in pvp and PVE when there isn't constant waves of adds coming to refresh your traits. that is beyond me. However I am not surprised to see this bad design, when you look at the first version of Lords of Flames for destruction, sometimes I wonder if they just randomly pulls out paper pieces from a hat with suggetions and implement it.

Yea I could see one trait for dmg buff in death but not multiple.

Deleted
    Two of affliction's gold traits are useless unless there are adds to empower them. Won't matter until you're competing with other classes who get their golds which aren;t useless, then it will suck.

But destruction is the go-to spec anyway, it's head and shoulders above the others. Affliction may not even be the king of single target.

Unless they do some tuning, locks are going to be left way behind by DKs, mages and hunters. And assassination rogues are ludicrously strong, only on single target tho

Quote Originally Posted by Nebiroth99 View Post
    Two of affliction's gold traits are useless unless there are adds to empower them. Won't matter until you're competing with other classes who get their golds which aren;t useless, then it will suck.

But destruction is the go-to spec anyway, it's head and shoulders above the others. Affliction may not even be the king of single target.

Unless they do some tuning, locks are going to be left way behind by DKs, mages and hunters. And assassination rogues are ludicrously strong, only on single target tho
    Well to be fair, I dont even care too much about the numbers right now, it will all change, its the whole problem with how flexible destruction is compared to the other 2 specs.

Everything affliction and demo can do, destruction can do way better.

Deleted
    I don't think it will change. All of the "tuning" we've had for weeks has been minor tweaks

And laughably they nerfed demonology, already the weakest by far

Why do people always say "ah, they won't let that go live"

When history shows that they have...over, and over, and over.

As you say, destruction just does everything better, which is absurd, and puts us right back to late-WOD-demo territory, where everyone will go destroy and they'll nerfbat it to the ground because they want people to have "choice" rather than "looking up what's best on Icy Veins and playing that" (like that's ever going to change)

I had real hope after they specifically mentioned measures to address afflictions godawful aoe and a rewrite of demo...but...sigh

High burst and high cleave always wins out over everything unless it's totally crap at sustained. Destro may even edge affliction at that!

And even destroy looks like it will be very middle to low of the pack. Demo is a real bottom feeder, only poor SP's will be under it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Destruction is not low for sure, that I can assure you. It's not the best, but it is pretty good actually overall. Demo needs some help and Affliction has it's moments (when you can cheese Soul Flame), but is also somewhat meh.

Honestly by this point it's not even a question, you have to PICK Destruction one way or another, Affliction and Demo are simply incomplete.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2016-07-19 at 11:25 PM.

It was easy to pick a spec for Legion, Blizz were nice enough to make all three warlock specs so universally terrible in some way that it was a very easy choice to continue to main my DK again for Legion after they did the same in WoD.

And it does annoy me I've been a warlock since vanilla and stuck it out through some terrible times, but jesus WoD and Legion? Nope not doing it I may be dense but I can take a hint eventually.
    Last edited by FertsBlert; 2016-07-20 at 12:28 PM.
    When I was younger I used to hope bad things wouldn't happen.
    Now I just hope they're at least funny when they do.

Quote Originally Posted by FertsBlert View Post
    It was easy to pick a spec for Legion, Blizz were nice enough to make all three warlock specs so universally terrible in some way that it was a very easy choice to continue to main my DK again for Legion after they did the same in WoD.
    Pretty much this, Blizzard will eventually apply some fixes in last content patch and claim warlock class is fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daralii View Post
    An orc named after Jesus firing a kamehameha at a tentacle dragon and making it explode into fairy dust before a group of dragons don't lament the loss of their once-friend or the now inevitable extinction of their species due to their newfound sterility and mortality but instead congratulate him on knocking up his wife was pretty fucking insane even by this series' standards.

Deleted
    This expansion will be my first try to play as warlock. After many years of playing I really understood that I'm not a melee player. I'm pretty good with them,but still I don't enjoy them really. For me it was though to choose which caster class I want to main. After many calculations i realized that it will be warlock,destruction. After finishing green flame quest I understood how much I enjoy animation of it. I'm pretty hyped to play legion because i have always been that type of player who likes to pick up many alts. This time,since Legion is based on one characters progression I can finally test one characters fantasy in the game.

For those who can't decide which specialization to play my advice is to try them all.Yeah it's boring advice but still,consider that do you really care only the numbers or your game play is more important. It's always sad that your favorite spec can't show 100% performance just because Blizzard can't do math but you can always be better than others with some specific specialization.

How is demo with moving and maintaining dps?

Something to keep in mind is that these builds were designed with artifact weapons/abilities in mind. Without those we are nerfed and don't have the full range of our abilities yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    How is demo with moving and maintaining dps?

Something to keep in mind is that these builds were designed with artifact weapons/abilities in mind. Without those we are nerfed and don't have the full range of our abilities yet.
    They can have demo artifact, I'll trade it for T18 anytime. What is happening live with Demo now is hilarious, enjoy this month before the Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    They can have demo artifact, I'll trade it for T18 anytime. What is happening live with Demo now is hilarious, enjoy this month before the Legion.
    I'm going to see how legion actually is before predicting doom and gloom.

Deleted
    How is demo at moving and dpsing? Dreadful.

And yes, people are going to get very false impressions of demo from current because the T18 bonus and class trinket mean you summon hordes and hordes of demons passively - way more than you're going to get the moment you move to Legion gear.

All you have to do now is use Hand og Gul'dan and Empower because you get three extra imps so often from the trinket and loads of random ones from your tier armour without doing anything at all.

It wouldn;t be so bad if you didn't know how much better huntards and mages are. It's WOD all over again, pandering to the popular classes which makes them remain popular, like snowballing in Heroes, once a class gets ahead it stays ahead just to appease the high class population

Hunters are never going to be mid to bottom pack, because twice as many people play them as any other ranged class. No surprise why either.
    Last edited by mmoc7a6bdbfc72; 2016-07-20 at 03:53 PM.