Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Have a friend who's a typical lazy person who doesn't like to move more than needed. He's been walking around 10km a day on his spare days and 5km on work days hunting those Pokemons
    So if it gets people up and moving instead of sitting like a potato then i think it's solid.

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesPierre View Post
    You are comparing a foolish mobile game to the internet?

If Pokemon Go is the future of games then I will not be playing games in the future.
    Better comparison would be Arcades and Pac-Man with Pac-Man fever. That burned out and everyone moved on from the silly children's toys called video ga......wait a damn minute!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    Ha! I'm in Texas, once the rain and snow start up, I'll finally get my ass off the couch and go outside. Running around when its 90+ outside just doesn't work for me. Then again, I'm in shots when its 20F outside.
    Like so?

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't think so. It's a new way to play for sure, but it's probably going to remain relatively small I think. There's always demand for games that are simply impractical to implement the way Pokemon Go does it, and also demand for games that simply cannot be run on such small devices.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Like so?
    Lol! I think that's the first time I've actually laughed out loud from seeing a picture posted on MMO-Champ.

That picture is so perfect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    Ha! I'm in Texas, once the rain and snow start up, I'll finally get my ass off the couch and go outside. Running around when its 90+ outside just doesn't work for me. Then again, I'm in shots when its 20F outside.
    Whoa, it rains and snows in Texas?! Why don't we get that here in socal

Deleted
    It honestly looks retarded, I'd rather play on my pc and in my house than go around the streets looking like an idiot.

It's just better to take the dog for a walk/to the park - play tennis/footbal/whatever than to stare at a screen.

Besides, I tried pokemon go and it's awful, a grinding game with a pokemon skin...I knew mobile games suck so no surprises there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    I think it's a fad that will burn out as quickly as it came.
    Pokemon has been going years, its fan base increases not decreases. Some of us have wanted something like Go since we played originals on the game boy when we were 10. It's not going to burn out any time soon, the media coverage of it might, but it's here to stay.

Anyways back to op. What your describing is pretty awesome, but not achievable at all on mobile devices. Future VR gear is the way this will be achieved, but even then I'd imagine from your own bedroom, not actually going out.

AR is not the future of gaming, it worked because it was specifically suited to one of the most successful gaming franchises in history, pulling on the strings of nostalgia. Pokemon Go is a pretty barebones game and unless it's highly developed I can't see it maintaining the popularity, other games trying to copy are pretty much doomed to fail since they dont have the worldwide clout of the Pokemon brand, which really is the reason it works to begin with.

It's a cool concept for sure, but I dont think it's going to blow up outside of Pokemon.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Well, all they have to do is add another generation and people would rush right back.

Which I don't see why they wouldn't. The battling will never be that big though I think personally if they leave it as is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Pokemon has been going years, its fan base increases not decreases. Some of us have wanted something like Go since we played originals on the game boy when we were 10. It's not going to burn out any time soon, the media coverage of it might, but it's here to stay.
    I'm actually torn if more pokemon will help. I think the maximum nostalgia will come from the original 151 (or 132, whatever the game has atm) and further pokemon will just make the game worse as it'll increase the number of encounters, making leveling a particular pokemon harder. Ofcourse, that's just my position, it very well could bring in more people.

I was 10 when pokemon came out, I remember vividly when the anime started airing and the game came out the next week so I'm very much in the nostalgia demographic and if pokemon go represents something you wanted then awesome. For me it's a pale imitation of the game that lacks most aspects that make a pokemon game enjoyable. It could be great, right now it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    I'm actually torn if more pokemon will help. I think the maximum nostalgia will come from the original 151 (or 132, whatever the game has atm) and further pokemon will just make the game worse as it'll increase the number of encounters, making leveling a particular pokemon harder. Ofcourse, that's just my position, it very well could bring in more people.

I was 10 when pokemon came out, I remember vividly when the anime started airing and the game came out the next week so I'm very much in the nostalgia demographic and if pokemon go represents something you wanted then awesome. For me it's a pale imitation of the game that lacks most aspects that make a pokemon game enjoyable. It could be great, right now it isn't.
    I'm not torn, Johto has just as much if not more nostalgia as the first gen. I could see after that maybe interest dropping a bit though.

And I was thinking the same thing honestly in terms of too many pokemon, but they could technically just let you change what gen you're "hunting" at the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pokemon Go is a decent concept implemented a bit lousily, in my opinion - but the idea of integrating virtual reality with the actual one has a huge lot of potential. Imagine an MMORPG with the real world to play in, where quests have you actually go somewhere in your town to, say, pick some berries, or fight a boss (virtually, of course). Might breed an entire new generation of games which will have people spend a lot of time outside, moving, instead of sitting at their homes in front of displays!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

There's a couple of issues with Augmented Reality that will be very difficult to solve. First off, let's say you want to have a sword fight in AR. How do you produce the sensory feedback? If two people swing real swords at each other and they clash, their arms will be forced to stop moving forward. If two people swing at each other in AR, it's essentially like swinging imaginary swords. You may see the swords, but you won't feel them. You'll swing your sword, and when it clashes with your opponent's sword, your arm will just keep moving, because it's not real.

Another difficulty is separating the game world from the real one. If you're playing a shooter, that fence over there might be really appealing to use as cover, but jumping over it would be trespassing and could get you in trouble or even get you hurt. The more immersive you make the game world, the more dangerous things become for the player. With Pokemon Go you're already gonna have people dying from wandering into traffic; imagine how bad it would be when the players are trying to avoid bullets and grenades in the game world. Also, you would never be able to have destructible environments for what should be obvious reasons.

A nifty take I've seen on AR is the book series Accel World by Reki Kawahara. These issues are addressed using advanced technology and what is essentially pseudo science. Basically the AR device sends "quantum signals" to your brain that accelerates your perception of time by a factor of 1,000. It combines this with virtual reality to create the game world and all the necessary feedback.

The prospects are pretty cool though. Imagine if we could have games like this.

Also convinced Reki Kawahara is a time traveler, considering this was announced many months before Pokemon Go.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    AR gaming isn't even new. Hell, I remember a few AR games from 10 years ago :P

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Might breed an entire new generation of games which will have people spend a lot of time outside, moving, instead of sitting at their homes in front of displays!
    Those exist already, they're called sports.

This thread, the lulz. First Pokemon Go invented AR and now it's the first game to be played outside and promote being active. What's next? Did Pokemon Go invent penicillin too?
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-07-19 at 04:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post

This thread, the lulz. First Pokemon Go invented AR and now it's the first game to be played outside and promote being active. What's next? Did Pokemon Go invent penicillin too?
    Obviously Pokemon Go didn't invent AR but it's the first thing in awhile that's generated any serious interest in AR.

10+ Year Old Account
    Socialization exists too, it is called going out and talking to people. So what are you doing here?
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Obviously Pokemon Go didn't invent AR but it's the first thing in awhile that's generated any serious interest in AR.
    Oh how people forget the hype from the Minecraft demo at e3 2015. Sure, keep living in your hyperbolic time chamber Goku.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Socialization exists too, it is called going out and talking to people. So what are you doing here?
    Yet you aren't claiming internet forums are spawning a new era where people socialize each other.

You claimed Pokemon Go will spawn a new era of games played outside. Games have only been played outside since the dawn of civilization.

Oh how people forget the hype from the Minecraft demo at e3 2015. Sure, keep living in your hyperbolic time chamber Goku.

- - - Updated - - -

Yet you aren't claiming internet forums are spawning a new era where people socialize each other.

You claimed Pokemon Go will spawn a new era of games played outside. Games have only been played outside since the dawn of civilization.
    I've never even heard of this Minecraft demo from E3, and even my technology illiterate parents have heard of Pokemon Go. I don't think those are perfectly equivalent.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    The minecraft demo still hasn't reached mainstream consumers. And AR was still before that and the 3DS.

Reminds me of SAO honestly.

The lines between reality and gaming is blurring. Gaming is becoming more and more integrated, and soon enough, it'll be a part of our lives, just like music and transportation.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

10+ Year Old Account

Yes, I am. If you don't think the Internet revolutionized socialization, then you must be living on Mars or something. The Internet literally bred a new generation of socialization types, for example: through chats, forums, social networks, e-mails, audio/video conversations and online conferences, you name it. Same way, popularization of AG games starting with Pokemon Go might breed a new generation of games outside.