Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How has the Alliance gotten along so well together?

From what I know of Horde history the Orcs, Trolls and Tauren have gotten along quite well through pacts of honor and even friendship. The Forsaken withstanding, even the Goblins and Blood Elves have found a bond among the others within the Horde. It seems quite obvious how they've gotten along so far, despite the Forsaken and Furor Garrosh.

When it comes to the Alliance however, there's a lot that doesn't really make sense to me. Night Elves primarily were never really fond of anyone, believing themselves to be superior to all other races, and even after a huge explosion of humility, I find it hard to believe that such powerful, traditional, and reclusive beings could ever truly get along with "inferior" races, only survive among them. Politically, I can imagine the Night Elves feel more like prisoners than allies. I can see the Humans, Dwarves and Gnomes getting along, even before they realized they were all born of the Titanic constructs and cursed with flesh. They have similar goals, values and like it or not, they share physical characteristics. And the Gilneans, like the Night Elves who oddly cared enough to help them, have always been secluded/separated from the Alliance and are again only united by the need for survival, not a true bond. In a political landscape, Genn Greymane is no different than Vladimir Putin. And again, using the Night Elves as the entry point into the Alliance, the Draenei have only survival and common interests to become part of the "alliance". The only reason they didn't join the Horde was because Orcs.

So, the alliance stays together because of mutual interests but how come it appears that they get along so well together socially and politically?

Facing all kinds of evils together over the years probably gave them perspective and respect for each other. Though I feel night elves may have changed a bit too much.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

For night elves, Tyrande at the end of wc 3 was coming around, saying maybe she'd misjudged the outlanders speaking to Jaina. I imagine with Jaina being the only Alliance leader on Kalimdor she'd be a big part of bringing them into the Alliance and fighting with her forces against the Legion maybe forged a bond.

It doesn't really make sense as the alliance in WC2 and WC3 had a huge amount of problems just between human kingdoms. Then WoW comes out and we're expected to believe all these different races with different goals and cultures just get along perfectly. There should be a lot more political strife in the alliance, especially with the humans seemingly leading everyone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    After a lot of internal misjudgment the night elves realize they weren't the best why it took thousands of years to realize that is mind boggling. But yeah races of the Alliance kinda have governments built around the same ideas I guess. I think their belief in the light plays a role too in away I guess.

Deleted
    Well for one, the none of the Alliance races gain anything from betraying each other. Gnomes rely on Ironforge for protection, Humans have lost so many kingdoms that they need the other races to bolster their remaining forces and Gilneas can't afford to be independent anymore given their homeland is now a battleground. The only two races that don't need the Alliance are the Draenei and Night Elves. The Elves could likely defend their borders line from the orcs with their normal tactics and the Draenei have a fully functioning spaceship and can leave when they want. But either will leave the Alliance because of a certain burning green army that sort of wants to destroy them is still a major threat.

Also, The Alliance does not have power mad tyrants nor betray each other every other expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    It doesn't really make sense as the alliance in WC2 and WC3 had a huge amount of problems just between human kingdoms. Then WoW comes out and we're expected to believe all these different races with different goals and cultures just get along perfectly. There should be a lot more political strife in the alliance, especially with the humans seemingly leading everyone else.
    Agreed. This is why I don't play on the alliance much. Every race seems to be super best friends with each other. There's no political tension at all between most of the alliance and that, in my opinion, makes the faction boring. The alliance is supposed to be an alliance, not a super kingdom ruled over by a high king like it is today.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Agreed. This is why I don't play on the alliance much. Every race seems to be super best friends with each other. There's no political tension at all between most of the alliance and that, in my opinion, makes the faction boring. The alliance is supposed to be an alliance, not a super kingdom ruled over by a high king like it is today.
    This is exactly how I feel. With the Horde, it's always been the Orcs who rule, the Trolls and Tauren who follow as a debt of honor, the Forsaken, Goblins and Blood Elves are Allies of Convenience and the Pandaren are essentially an entire caste of adventurers which makes sense. Now it seems like the Horde is in strife which makes the story interesting. The Alliance immediately puts Anduin in charge of everyone else and everything stays copacetic? Boring...

I love the Alliance because it's classic and not EVERYTHING is metal, spikes and red cloth wherever I go. However, I would like to see some politics and difficulty in between major events. You're telling me the Night Elves haven't had internal strife with the return of their Highborn? The Dwarves at least had SOME problems when Moira returned so that was cool, but Gnomes are essentially background noise which is a true shame. Draenei are always at the forefront of everything, like humans but... why do they never seem to finish the job? :P And how about Worgen? Genn swallows his pride and asks for asylum in Stormwind and is met with no resistance by Stormwindians or Gilneans? Major battle with the Forsaken, constant war for Gilneas, Silverpine and the borders of Lordaeron and Arathor... but we're left hanging in limbo with nothing seeming to happen either way up there. Why can't Gilneas become a faction city? Let's let the Alliance have a victory now and then in the Eastern Kingdoms... I mean the Cataclysm is long gone after all.

The Horde should be called the "Alliance" and the Alliance should be called the Tupperware Party...

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan6790 View Post
    This is exactly how I feel. With the Horde, it's always been the Orcs who rule, the Trolls and Tauren who follow as a debt of honor, the Forsaken, Goblins and Blood Elves are Allies of Convenience and the Pandaren are essentially an entire caste of adventurers which makes sense. Now it seems like the Horde is in strife which makes the story interesting. The Alliance immediately puts Anduin in charge of everyone else and everything stays copacetic? Boring...

I love the Alliance because it's classic and not EVERYTHING is metal, spikes and red cloth wherever I go. However, I would like to see some politics and difficulty in between major events. You're telling me the Night Elves haven't had internal strife with the return of their Highborn? The Dwarves at least had SOME problems when Moira returned so that was cool, but Gnomes are essentially background noise which is a true shame. Draenei are always at the forefront of everything, like humans but... why do they never seem to finish the job? :P And how about Worgen? Genn swallows his pride and asks for asylum in Stormwind and is met with no resistance by Stormwindians or Gilneans? Major battle with the Forsaken, constant war for Gilneas, Silverpine and the borders of Lordaeron and Arathor... but we're left hanging in limbo with nothing seeming to happen either way up there. Why can't Gilneas become a faction city? Let's let the Alliance have a victory now and then in the Eastern Kingdoms... I mean the Cataclysm is long gone after all.

The Horde should be called the "Alliance" and the Alliance should be called the Tupperware Party...
    Some of those things happened in the books.

Off-Topic: Because all of the Alliance is a bunch of whiners who hate when they don't get their way.

On-Topic: It's because the Alliance factions have common goals and respect for one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Taukra Goundin View Post
    On-Topic: It's because the Alliance factions have common goals and respect for one another.
    That's certainly not the case in Legion, but we'll have to see if it amounts to anything.

That's easy - The Alliance was united by the Horde (1st Horde, that is).

No Horde, no Alliance.

- - - Updated - - -

There has been plenty of strife, but most of the lore plays out in books rather than in-game.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

There isn't much for them to fight over.

That's certainly not the case in Legion, but we'll have to see if it amounts to anything.
    Okay, okay. Tha Alliance had common goals, the Jaina opened her mouth and blew it all up.

7.3 Siege of Proudmoore? Assault on Porudmoore? Death to the Dreadlord?

The Alliance needs more political action. It's been Humans and His Amazing Friends for 5 expansions now

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by DarklingThrush View Post

No Horde, no Alliance.

- - - Updated - - -

There has been plenty of strife, but most of the lore plays out in books rather than in-game.
    Different Alliance; Different Horde.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Different Alliance; Different Horde.
    True, but the Alliance today has it's roots in that one. Orcs scared Azerothians into forming an alliance back in Warcraft I, and they've been doing it ever since. Although... Sylvanas may become scarier. Even to the Horde.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

I think the Third War was what brought the human kingdoms together. Maybe out of survival more than anything else. Lordaeron was pretty much gone, except for Garithos' group and the Silver Hand that went on to become the Scarlet Crusade and Argent Dawn. And also the small portion that continued to live normally in Hillsbrad for a few years.

Stromgarde was screwed up somehow, and wasn't helped in any meaningful fashion by Stormwind, but now in Legion, Blizzard is justifying the Alliance turning a blind eye to Lordaeron's closest ally by making it be Galen who killed his father and presumably threw the kingdom into chaos when he wasn't experienced enough to handle its problems.

So Stromgarde was in Stormwind's pocket. As was the Syndicate, who, judging by Aliden Perenolde wearing a Stormwind tabard, were at least trying to join the Alliance, but the Alliance must have thought their goal of getting all the orcs back into internment camps was too unrealistic. Also didn't let them join I guess because they had a grudge against Stromgarde, which they had every right to. King Thoras basically destroyed their entire kingdom in an angry fit of rage when Aiden Perenolde helped the Horde or Deathwing, I don't remember which.

I can't imagine Alterac's troops just stood by while Stromgarde destroyed their city, so it's likely that Stromgarde slaughtered a crapton of people in their hostile takeover of Alterac.

But I guess Stormwind thought Stromgarde was the better ally from a moral standpoint, for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    I guess when every day is a new opportunity for the world to be destroyed, it's hard to find the time to have internal squabbling. Given an extended period of peace, I'm sure tensions would rise.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    The Alliance needs more political action. It's been Humans and His Amazing Friends for 5 expansions now
    You don't really need political strife for that to occur. You just need Blizzard deciding to push a non-human character to the forefront.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoadbearer View Post
    So Stromgarde was in Stormwind's pocket. As was the Syndicate, who, judging by Aliden Perenolde wearing a Stormwind tabard, were at least trying to join the Alliance, but the Alliance must have thought their goal of getting all the orcs back into internment camps was too unrealistic. Also didn't let them join I guess because they had a grudge against Stromgarde, which they had every right to. King Thoras basically destroyed their entire kingdom in an angry fit of rage when Aiden Perenolde helped the Horde or Deathwing, I don't remember which.

I can't imagine Alterac's troops just stood by while Stromgarde destroyed their city, so it's likely that Stromgarde slaughtered a crapton of people in their hostile takeover of Alterac.
    Aiden Perenolde allowed the Horde passage through Alterac in return for sparing his kingdom. The Alliance of Lordaeron retaliated pretty harshly following the Second War.
    Last edited by StationaryHawk; 2016-07-19 at 02:01 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarklingThrush View Post

No Horde, no Alliance.
    I could say the same for the Horde
    the NEW Horde was Formed Because of the Alliance
    -if there was no Camps the Orc's would not have escaped with Thrall
    - the Human Destroyed the Troll Empire long ago
    - Because of one Human who destroyed 2 Kingdoms, both of them Later Joined the Horde, Forsaken and Blood elf's
    - finally What Happen by the Human to Goblin in Cata
    the new Horde is Formed because of the Alliance
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I just love the idea of "I want to murder people in moderation".
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    the only "positive" in your case is that, unlike Blizzard's writers, you aren't paid for that.