Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Aside from the huge number of copper chisels in Egypt, for instance.
    A chisel can now move 1500+ tonne stones?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    As someone who holds a degree in Classics/archaeology, I'd suggest you stop looking for weird supernatural answers. It's embarrassing.
    And basically this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    So propose an alternative then. You say it wasn't aliens to avoid conspiracy theory infraction but you're not putting forward any ideas.
    Its not my job to provide an alternative, only to show how inconceivable our current view of our history is.

I was at all these places when they were being built. Its pretty amazing how much time you have to polish and grind a stone when there are no books,tv, and radio.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    That was interesting watch

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Its not my job to provide an alternative, only to show how inconceivable our current view of our history is.
    So was my guess right then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Deleted
    That's wonderful but it still does not explain how these unimaginably heavy stones were moved.
    Manpower, time and wood logs.

A chisel can now move 1500+ tonne stones?
    "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world."

How inconceivable YOUR current view of our history is, rather.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    The heaviest stone found in Baalbek is at least 1650 tons.
    Yes, but that wasn't the unfinished obelisk - and they wouldn't have to lift it by crane anyway.

The huge stones is just one part, how do you explain sites with very very large stones fitting together with no mortar, this is a very common occurence when looking at ancient megalithic sites. Or how about the first site i linked puma punku, how do you explain those intricately cut stones? They look like they were done on a CNC machine.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    -SNIP Video-
    Thanks! I am definitely going to watch that video.

Deleted
    It's not inconceivable, we simply don't know which exact tools were used.

I recomend you https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_architectura.

This is just that thread about animals being more happy than humans in a different flavor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Inconceivable to you. There is plenty of literature and videos showing the physics behind moving giant blocks of stone with only man power and how things like the pyramids could be built over a decade or two. Just because you want to hand wave it away doesn't make it not true.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is just the biggest stone i could find, if its still attached to bedrock thats one thing...but how about the other multitude of examples of stones nearly as big strewn across the planet in the same time period?
    Don't underestimate the phenomenal moving power of masses of humans coupled with the intelligent use of simple machines. You also have the development and use of cranes starting in 600BC.

Also, FYI there aren't "multitudes" of moved stones as big as the unfinished obelisk - there are only a handful. you also have to take into account that size does not directly correlate to weight when you're dealing with stone monuments because the density of the material plays a huge role (Basalt/granite can weigh 50% more than soft stones like tuffa).
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    So propose an alternative then. You say it wasn't aliens to avoid conspiracy theory infraction but you're not putting forward any ideas.
    I am a man of faith, aliens are not part of my vocabulary. I truly believe we simply have no idea the history of our planet, and the evidence is all around us.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    There is a very simple explanation for all of this: earlier civilizations weren't the incompetent boobs running around clubbing each other and themselves some of us like to believe they were.
    ^ Mostly this. If there is a misconception, it is mostly that people mistake our ancestors for being incapable - and then are amazed by what they accomplished - rather than acknowledging that they are underestimating our ancestors - they assume there is some greater explanation.

Also on the crane thing, 1200 tons isn't really that much anymore - the biggest gantry cranes on earth lift an order of magnitude more than that comfortably - and could probably do significantly more (but aren't rated 'safe' for it, where the safety limit is usually set way below the actual lift potential). Lots of lattices could probably lift 1200T now, and there are even now rough terrain cranes in that range:

No doubt 1200T is massive to be moving on logs and what not, but also consider the possibility that such a massive obelisk may have been meant to be carved together so the stone matches, but then cut into more manageable slabs for transport - then stacked on-site - to create a seamless appearance (like many columns).

Also the quality of cuts isn't all that impressive actually, you can do it too with only rudimentary supplies - the key to very smooth cuts isn't lasers and diamond grinders, it's patience and attention. Since most of these buildings were of religious nature - time was on their side.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

10+ Year Old Account
    The huge stones is just one part, how do you explain sites with very very large stones fitting together with no mortar, this is a very common occurence when looking at ancient megalithic sites. Or how about the first site i linked puma punku, how do you explain those intricately cut stones? They look like they were done on a CNC machine.
    Now you're just straight up quoting the whacky hair guy from ancient aliens.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    There is a very simple explanation for all of this: earlier civilizations weren't the incompetent boobs running around clubbing each other and themselves some of us like to believe they were.
    This.

Read The Everlasting Man, by GK Chesterton. We have smart phones today so we think we are so smart and progressive ... but nothing but narcissism really supports that claim (and a few missteps in science--like some dubious medical theories--which we are still making plenty today).

Deleted
    I am a man of faith, aliens are not part of my vocabulary. I truly believe we simply have no idea the history of our planet, and the evidence is all around us.
    Then you should study archeology, you don't have any idea.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Don't underestimate the phenomenal moving power of masses of humans coupled with the intelligent use of simple machines. You also have the development and use of cranes starting in 600BC.

Also, FYI there aren't "multitudes" of moved stones as big as the unfinished obelisk - there are only a handful. you also have to take into account that size does not directly correlate to weight when you're dealing with stone monuments because the density of the material plays a huge role (Basalt/granite can weigh 50% more than soft stones like tuffa).
    http://www.ancient-wisdom.com/top50stones.htm

I dont know how accurate this is today (maybe larger stones have been found since its publication) but its a resource nonetheless.