Saw the monk stream thread is closed. Any where to post my stream now?

Hi, i'm currently 830 geared, and i have some higher ilevel gear that has versatility. I'm wondering if i should go haste cap; abeit lower ilvl.. say about 826... but about 28-29% haste... or should i drop to about 830 ilvl but with 20.47% haste?

I'm running High Tolerence with Brew of the ox.

Hey guys, I'm a warrior main, but i'm levelling a brewmaster as my alt (currently at level 102) and I have some questions about talents.

PS: My questions are mainly for Dungeons.

1-) Lv15 Talent Row: I'm using eye of the tiger, but I saw on wowhead that I should use Chi burst... Why? Is it really better? I think monk have to many attack skills already, that's why I use eye of the tiger. Also it adds one more incentive to use tiger palm other than just decrease brews cooldowns.

2-) Lv45 Talent Row: i'm using gift of the mists, but I saw a guide that say I should use Light brewing and another one that I should use black ox brew. To be honest, I'm pretty lost in this row. What should I use?

3-) Lv90 Talent Row: I'm using rushing jade wind, because it helps a lot for aggroing since it has a low cooldown, but I haven't tried tanking without it though, so I don't know if it's really important to have it. Also, I saw 2 guides that said I should use special delivery. Why?? I tested for a couple minutes in the open world and it doesn't seem to be that good. Could someone explain it to me?

4-) Lv100 Talent Row: I like blackout combo, but I'd rather use high tolerance, because then I don't need to keep spamming blackout kick all the time. Some guides say that I should use blackout combo and others that I should use high tolerance. What is better? Does blackout combo really worth the change of gameplay/rotation?

EDIT: The guides I keep mentioning are from Icy-veins and Wowhead.
    Last edited by adramael; 2016-09-11 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adramael View Post
    Hey guys, I'm a warrior main, but i'm levelling a brewmaster as my alt (currently at level 102) and I have some questions about talents.

PS: My questions are mainly for Dungeons.

1-) Lv15 Talent Row: I'm using eye of the tiger, but I saw on wowhead that I should use Chi burst... Why? Is it really better? I think monk have to many attack skills already, that's why I use eye of the tiger. Also it adds one more incentive to use tiger palm other than just decrease brews cooldowns.

2-) Lv45 Talent Row: i'm using of the mists, but I saw a guide that say I should use Light brewing and another one that I should use black ox brew. To be honest, I'm pretty lost in this row. What should I use?

3-) Lv90 Talent Row: I'm using rushing jade wind, because it helps a lot for aggroing since it has a low cooldown, but I haven't tried tanking without it though, so I don't know if it's really important to have it. Also, I saw 2 guides that said I should use special delivery. Why?? I tested for a couple minutes in the open world and it doesn't seem to be that good. Could someone explain it to me?

4-) Lv100 Talent Row: I like blackout combo, but I'd rather use high tolerance, because then I don't need to keep spamming blackout kick all the time. Some guides say that I should use blackout combo and others that I should use high tolerance. What is better? Does blackout combo really worth the change of gameplay/rotation?

EDIT: The guides I keep mentioning are from Icy-veins and Wowhead.
    Hey, i'll try to help you.

1-) chi-wave heals yourself and dmgs enemies. so, if you want something to passively just heal you, you can go tiger lust. IIRC, Tiger lust did about 8-10% of heals on overall personal healing.

2-) I go ox of brew because it is an on demand CD to produce stacks. I find this critical for harder hitting dungeons or mobs... to have enough ISB up and to purify away damage. I found myself struggling with light brew because i have to wait for my ISB cds to go down and to purify away. Perhaps it is due to mis-management but I find ox of brew to be more beneficial and more control at harder dungeons.

3-) i was using SD from 100-110... and i like the big crits and damage. At 110, heroics and mythics, i'm critting for 350k per mob when SD does proc. However, in dungeons/mobs where there's endless of them (gauntlet like mechanics) i find RJW to be really simple. Just cast and run into them. RJW for me.

4-) I reckon if you have enough haste, Blackout combo will eventually win/overall higher throughout. that said, even with my gear, i can hit 25% haste (30% haste is the ideal numebr) i prefer HT as well. Again matter of preference.

Deleted
    I have 2 questions about active mitigation checks while tanking. What are our active mitigation skills? I think ISB is one, do we have others? And do you need to have it active when the attack hits you, or do you actually have to cast it during the boss casting the attack?

7+ Year Old Account
    @adramael To answer your questions with 5 man dungeons in mind:

1) Chi Burst is great for air packs and does better damage for bigger pulls. Eye of the tiger will be better with single target and you can only have one instance of eye of the eye up on one mob at a time. Hence chi-burst is better for Aoe packs

2) I personally use BoB talent as you can use 3 ISB charges and pop it at the beginning of the fight to have a comfortable 20 second ISB buff and the other charges can used for purify (also not BoB counts as a Brew so it's CD is affected by TP & Keg Smashes). Out of the 3 talents it gives you more brews to keep ISB buff up and for purifying.

3) SD does more damage than JW but is not as consistent as JW. SD also doesn't take any APM and if you have high haste I would recommend SD so you don't energy cap and waste resources.

4) There was a post about HT vs BoC and HT came up on top. I personally like BoC due to delaying stagger then purifying a large amount of dmg, and having a better CD on Fortitude, however this is my personal preference and I have my own methods of using it for different situations.

@999DaZa @sdre

Thank you! That helped a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by sdre View Post
    Hi, i'm currently 830 geared, and i have some higher ilevel gear that has versatility. I'm wondering if i should go haste cap; abeit lower ilvl.. say about 826... but about 28-29% haste... or should i drop to about 830 ilvl but with 20.47% haste?

I'm running High Tolerence with Brew of the ox.

I don't think you really need the 30% haste if you're running those two talents, but haste is really good. It increases TMI, reduces damage intake, and increases damage done by a lot. If you only want enough haste to play the game, then 20% is honestly good with your talents. If you find yourself taking a lot of damage vers and mastery are better at reducing that in my findings. Also, don't undervalue crit. It makes you really invincible as you start building tank stats.

Anyone know how good the Darkmoon Deck: Immortality is? I am a scribe and not sure whether to use or sell it because there isn't any information in Legion about how good bonus armor is for tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaniky View Post
    Anyone know how good the Darkmoon Deck: Immortality is? I am a scribe and not sure whether to use or sell it because there isn't any information in Legion about how good bonus armor is for tanks.
    Afaik Monks have around 2k base armor (20%),.

If you get it to 4k (like DH tanks), you get 37%. Plate tanks got around 6k from what I saw, or ~50% physical DR. So monks benefit from bonus armor like no other (also there's still Leaden Despair with 2.5k armor for 10secs if you drop below 30%)

Quote Originally Posted by meob View Post
    Afaik Monks have around 2k base armor (20%),.

If you get it to 4k (like DH tanks), you get 37%. Plate tanks got around 6k from what I saw, or ~50% physical DR. So monks benefit from bonus armor like no other (also there's still Leaden Despair with 2.5k armor for 10secs if you drop below 30%)
    Everyone should benefit from armor the same no matter how much armor you have because of how percentile increases work with damage resistance. They are usually exponential (The higher the percent of damage the armor reduces the closer it gets to infinity, or 100% armor) ,but the "diminishing returns" that blizzard adds on to it make the amount of damage resisted scale linearly (it will never reach infinity, and each point of armor stays the same value) no matter how much armor you have. The trinket does give about 8% damage resistance on average. This is good, but I think things that you can activate will be more powerful as monk doesn't really care about passively mitigating a little more damage as much as the ability to save yourself from taking too much spike damage at a given time. But that's just what i've experienced.
    Last edited by Cheep; 2016-09-11 at 07:11 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheep View Post
    Everyone should benefit from armor the same no matter how much armor you have because of how percentile increases work with damage resistance. They are usually exponential (The higher the percent of damage the armor reduces the closer it gets to infinity, or 100% armor) ,but the "diminishing returns" that blizzard adds on to it make the amount of damage resisted scale linearly (it will never reach infinity, and each point of armor stays the same value) no matter how much armor you have. The trinket does give about 8% damage resistance on average. This is good, but I think things that you can activate will be more powerful as monk doesn't really care about passively mitigating a little more damage as much as the ability to save yourself from taking too much spike damage at a given time. But that's just what i've experienced.
    this is wrong since the damage reduction formula is not linear. monks get around 8% average physical damage reduction, whereas paladins get only around 5, because of their higher base armor.

damage reduction = (armor/(armor+7390))*100 (see page 31)

I have done all the mythics, easily. None give me any trouble and at 850 ilevel i barely spike. I did beta doing a Veng DH and Blood DK, BrM is better. With BoC and 100% ISB uptime we maybe be in the top 3 tanking classes. Once healers wrap their heads around us spiking to 60% isnt the biggest deal they will come to love us as we are just more efficient to heal, also we may be the best self healing class of the bunch if you get the rotation down. For those of you playing BrM right now we are the lucky ones, all the other tanks will be envious of us once our new playstyle is understood. I am tired of the doom and gloom, you are wrong. We are the best tanking class in the game bar none, our utility is not of a paladin, but I will take sitting at 30 percent without a care in the world

mind linking your armory? whats your haste at like?

Deleted
    I suppose the haste trinket from Violet Hold with stacking bonus armor is core and makes a gigantic difference.

I wish I could give Brewmaster more of a try but I am currently invested 19 in WW and 16 in MW and only 3 in BM and completely lacking good tank trinkets.

Quote Originally Posted by sdre View Post
    mind linking your armory? whats your haste at like?
    Armory is still not working for me, but not to crazy high like 17%.

Its just getting the flow of BoC really. BoS, Keg, BoS, Fire, BoS, ISB, mix in some BoS Tps(for the face palm bonus, tho if you just do a tp no biggie as you are still lowering your brew cooldowns). And we can live thru everything. I try and purify a bit higher than recommended (at around 75% stagger) because I got the purify brew belt legiondary and I like the on demand heal. I can stack 5-7 orbs feet and do a big on demand heal with eh or just move left and right and pac man them as I need em.

We have all the tools boys and girls, its just getting that rotation down so it feels natural, then we can hang with everyone.

Plus nothing wrong with being the undervalued, we usually get some crazy buffs.

Get on the train boys and girls! We are leaving the station

Quote Originally Posted by ambio View Post
    Armory is still not working for me, but not to crazy high like 17%.

Its just getting the flow of BoC really. BoS, Keg, BoS, Fire, BoS, ISB, mix in some BoS Tps(for the face palm bonus, tho if you just do a tp no biggie as you are still lowering your brew cooldowns). And we can live thru everything. I try and purify a bit higher than recommended (at around 75% stagger) because I got the purify brew belt legiondary and I like the on demand heal. I can stack 5-7 orbs feet and do a big on demand heal with eh or just move left and right and pac man them as I need em.

We have all the tools boys and girls, its just getting that rotation down so it feels natural, then we can hang with everyone.

Plus nothing wrong with being the undervalued, we usually get some crazy buffs.

Get on the train boys and girls! We are leaving the station
    Gonna have to agree with you here. Very similar experience. It felt really weak and frustrating to play until I got the groove of the rotation down; now that it's pretty much muscle memory I can really focus on using my whole situational toolkit which is seriously so much more granular and rewarding than the other tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsab11 View Post
    this is wrong since the damage reduction formula is not linear. monks get around 8% average physical damage reduction, whereas paladins get only around 5, because of their higher base armor.

damage reduction = (armor/(armor+7390))*100 (see page 31)
    Are you saying they only get 5% after diminishing returns on the armor percentage?

Quote Originally Posted by ambio View Post
    With BoC and 100% ISB uptime we maybe be in the top 3 tanking classes.
    I wish people would understand that when we actually start tackling difficult content (mythic raids and mythic+ dungeons), we are going to have to be purifying so often that it will be impossible to have anywhere close to 100% ISB uptime. This is already obvious on big/difficult pulls in mythic dungeons.

Pretty sure that slootbag still managed to keep 100% up time on ISB in mythic+11 when he played his BRM in the final days of beta.