Need help with SSD

Hellos

I just bought a second SSD but it isn't showing up anywhere but in the motherboard bios. I've tried googling to find some help but the only things I find are people with laptops or people trying to clone or migrate data and I've no idea if any of those help me at all so I'm at a loss as to what to do.

It does NOT show up in
    My computer
    Device Manager
    Disk management
    Samsung Magician

The only place where I've been able to see it was like I said above is in the motherboard bios after spamming the Del key during startup.

I've win10 installed on my first SSD a Samsung pro 840. The new one is a samsung evo 850.

Thanks for your time.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's really odd...

I'm trying to think of what it could be but it sounds like you've got everything so far covered.

Do you have an old Windows ISO DVD lying around? I'd wonder if you could boot into it and see if it sees your SSD or not, not suggesting you install Windows, but just see if it sees the SSD or not, since if it doesn't, we can probably rule that something is messed up with the SSD and you should RMA it.

It should definitely show up in Disk Management.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Unfortunately I don't have any of the install disks.

It's probably a faulty firmware. You could either RMA it or try to fix it.

If it doesnt show up in bios and all the connections are good, its most likely dead. A very minor thing you can try is switch the sata port that its plugged into on your motherboard. Some motherboards have 2 controllers (generally for raid purposes) and if this is the case, the controller might not like the SSD. Its a long shot but worth the 30 seconds to try it out.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by lloose View Post
    If it doesnt show up in bios and all the connections are good, its most likely dead. A very minor thing you can try is switch the sata port that its plugged into on your motherboard. Some motherboards have 2 controllers (generally for raid purposes) and if this is the case, the controller might not like the SSD. Its a long shot but worth the 30 seconds to try it out.
    see.. it DOES show up in the motherboard bios but does NOT show up anywhere else. That's why I'm so confused with this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does it show up in the same 'area' as your primary? Or does it show up in a RAID or other controller area?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Does it show up in the same 'area' as your primary? Or does it show up in a RAID or other controller area?
    The only place I've been able to find it in the motherboard bios was under Boot Override next to the other ssd and hdd

10+ Year Old Account
    This might be a long shot, but download some Linux distro and leave only new SSD pluged in, then try to install Linux on it :/
    PM me weird stuff :3

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    This might be a long shot, but download some Linux distro and leave only new SSD pluged in, then try to install Linux on it :/
    That was exactly what worked. Thank you sir.
    I downloaded the Ubuntu installed and burned it onto a disk and then ran Ubuntu itself off the disk without installing anything and it let me format the drive. Went back into windows and reformatted the drive again now that it actually showed up in win10 and all is good with the world again.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yay glad to hear all is well in the Poltr household!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Cool beans.
    PM me weird stuff :3