Page 32 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Said "extreme left" doesn't have any standing in politics, but surprise, the far right does.

Not everywhere, though. Here in my country, for example, the exact opposite is true.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    What did what to whom? And why does or should anyone care?
    these, are the real questions.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Let's see. Breitbart editor is extreme right. Encourages racist tweets. So can I make the conclusion ALL right wing people are racist?
    Interesting straw man argument, but, not generally true. I know plenty of right leaning people that aren't racist.

However, what does hurt many right leaning people, is when an alt-right person behaves very badly, inciting hate, and most right leaning people defend the alt-right person. Notice that I'm saying they are just being silent because it isn't uncommon that I wouldn't hear people say, "That wasn't right"...but you come to boards like this, and many right leaning people are defending the shitty behavior. It does cause people to seriously consider if most right leaning people are indeed racist...or at least simply immoral...

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Being non-violently harassed is a part of being in a free society, as long as the harassment is not silencing in nature. It must abide by the more speech, not less rule.
    Except that's not how it works right now.

Nor would I want to live somewhere it's okay to harass people as long as you're not violent about it. Like, I'm sure someone would take that as 'you SJW!', but seriously, just because you're not being physically hit doesn't make harassment okay. There's a reason mental/psyche health is just as important as physical. No one should be harassed, ever. Like, there's a difference between criticizing someone, and harassing them.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    Like saying ''we are going to drop leftists from helicopters''.
    Except violence goes against free expression, hurting someones feelings does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Yet urasim seems to think they won't follow him.
    I'm not saying NO one will follow him. The point is that Twitter removed his voice from their platform and millions of new people won't find him. We are talking about one of the largest social networks here. Do you think that he'll get the same coverage elsewhere? It's still censorship, and you still haven't linked a definition you're using so we can appropriately have a conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    If they're not going to follow him on any of the other tons of social media platforms, then that would indicate that they really didn't give a fuck about what he has to say.

Twitter has freedom of speech you know, and as they say, your rights end where someone else's begins. He's not entitled to their platform just because you like pushing a narrative of victimhood.
    Why the heck would anyone be following him if they didn't know him from somewhere else already?
    Or they're outraged and want to follow him to report him on the new platform. There's more than one reason to follow someone around to other platforms. You not acknowledging this shows your limited imagination.
    Last edited by urasim; 2016-07-20 at 08:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

They are allowed, the argument is that silencing unpopular speech shows a lack of integrity and ethics.
    Well they aren't doing that anywhere but on their platform which is to me the equivalent of throwing out the drunk trash at a club. Also I don't think they have the intention of becoming the paragon of integrity and ethics.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    oh fucking well, that's what happens when you break the TOS and get booted. cry about it some more why don''t ya.
    Where did he break the ToS? I haven't seen him tell his followers to harass anyone and he RESPONDED to her first and only posted a few things, whereas she put his tag in dozens of tweets.

There's a clear case of inciting harassment here and it's not from Milo.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cFortyfive View Post
    Also I don't think they have the intention of becoming the paragon of integrity and ethics.
    Then it will be very easy to counter them with superior arguments. Ideas are beaten by better ideas, not by authoritarian suppression.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    I'm not saying NO one will follow him. The point is that Twitter removed his voice from their platform and millions of new people won't find him. We are talking about one of the largest social networks here. Do you think that he'll get the same coverage elsewhere? It's still censorship, and you still haven't linked a definition you're using so we can appropriately have a conversation.
    I just pointed you to what Batman said, which you happened to miss I guess. And I've already said that yes, he's being censored from twitter. What more do you want honestly?

My actual point is it's not going to stop him, and it's insignificant. He's still able to go elsewhere, he's not being censored anywhere else.

Or their outraged and want to follow him to report him on the new platform. There's more than one reason to follow someone around to other platforms. You not acknowledging this shows your limited imagination.
    So you're basically admitting that this can easily help him become more popular because now people who didn't follow him can become outraged at this and follow him somewhere else?

Which leads back to my original point that he can go anywhere else, and if anything, this can help him?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Inciting racism and harassment toward an individual is classed as "unpopular speech"?

Grow up.
    The people who need to ban things that hurt their feelings should grow up. Hearing things you don't like or agree with is part of being in a free society.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not saying NO one will follow him. The point is that Twitter removed his voice from their platform and millions of new people won't find him.
    https://www.facebook.com/myiannopoulos/

That sure was HARD.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Where did he break the ToS? I haven't seen him tell his followers to harass anyone and he RESPONDED to her first and only posted a few things, whereas she put his tag in dozens of tweets.

There's a clear case of inciting harassment here and it's not from Milo.
    well you ignoring all the attacks coming from his side is of no concern of mine. you clearly don't care that their are two sides to this and neither side is guilt free. I couldn't give less of a shit who gets banned from that wretched website. if you feel like it's such a grave injustice why not spend your energy there.

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Name your own pillars if you want. The idea is that you want to find the smallest number of categories in which you could fit every possible scenario.

If Milo didn't hurt Krazy's feelings than I'm proud of him for being able to hear things he doesn't like without taking it personally.
    Did little Milo getting banned hurt your feelings?
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

Hate speech isn't "just" speech, and shouldn't be protected.
    It's messages engineered specifically to manipulate or damage someone's public image, to push them to abandon the social platform, to silence them in fact!
    Floods of hateful messages (and threats) can damage someone psychologically and can also have effects on their future careers. People who are hiring for a high-visibility post might well not want to hire somebody who is followed around by a personal hate mob.

The real disappointing part is that this should have happened years ago, and that it should be happening to more people.
    Banning one high profile blogger lets twitter save face, rather than do anything significant to actually deal with the problems in their userbase.
    Milo's behaviour now hasn't been any different than it has been for years, he's been leading harassment campaigns for ages. It's only now that he hit one high profile woman too many and has been thrust into the spotlight that anyone's done anything about it, and there's so many others like him that will just take his place.

7+ Year Old Account
    The people who need to ban things that hurt their feelings should grow up. Hearing things you don't like or agree with is part of being in a free society.
    Acting responsibly with your words is also part of a free society.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Did little Milo getting banned hurt your feelings?
    Nope, I think that Twitter decision makers probably think they are doing the right thing, but are misguided and likely think that unpopular or offensive speech cant be countered except through silencing.

I don't think a lot of the fuss has anything to do with the cause of this.

Many more people over the last few years have figured out that 'tearing apart' is an easier path to profit and fame compared to 'bringing together'. Whether it's politics, religion, or even gaming. Say outrageous shit that offends as many people as possible. Take extremely stupid photos that will piss off a a specific group of people. The trend is to do whatever you think will enrage the most people.

People have always done this in one form or another, but it's now a lot easier with the internet and the rise of social media. Don't want to work an honest job? Want to be famous too? Milo is just following the blueprint.

I just pointed you to what Batman said, which you happened to miss I guess. And I've already said that yes, he's being censored from twitter. What more do you want honestly?
    Just that. Honesty. Thank you.

My actual point is it's not going to stop him, and it's insignificant.
    That's fine if you think it's insignificant.

He's still able to go elsewhere, he's not being censored anywhere else.
    Not yet at least.

So you're basically admitting that this can easily help him become more popular because now people who didn't follow him can become outraged at this and follow him somewhere else?

Which leads back to my original point that he can go anywhere else, and if anything, this can help him?
    Oh, I know this will help him in this case. He has a large enough audience to cause trouble.

The point is that if this was anyone else with a smaller audience(or none) we'd never hear about it, and that person would never get their opinions heard. I think everyone should have a voice.

https://youtu.be/UA44q8W_Xt0 i think this video post kind of says it all. Milo literally DID NOT encourage anyone to harass this woman. Also some good opinion on censorship/free speech in general. pretty much aligned with my position.