Page 1 of 20
... LastLast
    Deleted

Unnarmed man lying on ground with arms up shot by police

Source: http://wsvn.com/news/local/video-sho...t-unarmed-man/

Think we've gone past ridiculous at this point ...

NORTH MIAMI, FLA. (WSVN) - A therapist who works with people with disabilities is telling his story after he said police shot him while he was trying to help his patient with autism.

Cellphone video was released Wednesday afternoon showing Charles Kinsey lying on the ground with his hands in the air, telling officers that weapons are not necessary. “When I went to the ground, I went to the ground with my hands up,” Kinsey said, “and I am laying there just like this. Telling them again there is no need for firearms. He is autistic. He has a toy truck in his hand.”

In his hospital bed and wearing bandages, Kinsey said, he was attempting to calm an autistic patient who ran away from a group home. Kinsey could be heard in the video saying, “All he has is a toy truck. A toy truck. I am a behavior therapist at a group home.”

He is also heard asking his patient to calm down. “Rinaldo, please be still, Rinaldo. Sit down, Rinaldo. Lay on your stomach.”

The ordeal went on for a few minutes before Kinsey said one of the officers shot him. “I’m like this right here, and when he shot me, it was so surprising,” Kinsey said. “I thought it was a mosquito bite, and when it hit me I had my hands in the air, and I’m thinking I just got shot! And I’m saying, ‘Sir, why did you shoot me?’ and his words to me were, ‘I don’t know.'”
    It's like a perfect microcosm of mental health + guns + US cops issues ...

EDIT (update from Police Union official):

The North Miami police officer who shot an unarmed, black mental health worker caring for a patient actually took aim at the autistic man next to him, but missed, the head of the police union said Thursday.

It was a stunning admission from the police officer and from John Rivera, who heads up Miami-Dade’s Police Benevolent Association. But it was one meant to calm the fears of a nation besieged with cellphone videos of police shooting and sometimes killing unarmed black men.

In this case, Rivera said, the officer ended up wounding the man he was trying to save.

“I couldn’t allow this to continue for the community’s sake,” Rivera said Thursday during a hastily called press conference at the union’s Doral office. “Folks, this is not what the rest of the nation is going through.”
    Source: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...e91160077.html
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2016-07-22 at 04:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    Source: http://wsvn.com/news/local/video-sho...t-unarmed-man/

Think we've gone past ridiculous at this point ...
    He decided to interfere in an active 911 call after being told several times not to, of course you don't see that part of the video.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    He decided to interfere in an active 911 call after being told several times not to, of course you don't see that part of the video.
    And this motivates shooting him? Fuck right off dude. Fuck right off. He wanted to help his patient so that the cops didnt manhandle him, which usually doesnt go down well with Autistic people.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    And this motivates shooting him? Fuck right off dude. Fuck right off. He wanted to help his patient so that the cops didnt manhandle him, which usually doesnt go down well with Autistic people.
    Not saying he deserved to get shot but if he didn't put himself in that position it would have never happened, patient or not you don't interfere.

Deleted
    Where exactly do you get that information?

The articles I have read, e.g.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...e90905442.html

In a prepared statement, North Miami police spokeswoman Natalie Buissereth said “arriving officers attempted to negotiate with the two men on the scene, one of whom was later identified as suffering from autism... At some point during the on-scene negotiation, one of the responding officers discharged his weapon.”
    clearly show the police arrived at the scene with both men.

After all the patient ran away from the same facility where the carer/therapist works ...
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2016-07-21 at 01:06 AM.

It's like in those video games where you can't figure out how to open the door so you shoot it, it never works.

I am glad the victim of the shooting is still alive.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    Where exactly do you get that information?

The articles I have read, e.g.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...e90905442.html

clearly show the police arrived at the scene with both men.

After all the patient ran away from the same facility where the carer/therapist works ...
    Cuevas said officers received a 911 call indicating a man was in the street with a gun threatening to kill himself. They responded to Northeast 127th Street and about 14th Avenue and began barking orders. When the autistic man didn’t comply, an officer fired three times, striking Kinsey once in the leg. He was transported to Jackson Memorial Hospital.

Deleted
    Cuevas said officers received a 911 call indicating a man was in the street with a gun threatening to kill himself. They responded to Northeast 127th Street and about 14th Avenue and began barking orders. When the autistic man didn’t comply, an officer fired three times, striking Kinsey once in the leg. He was transported to Jackson Memorial Hospital.
    Can't you read or something? The autistic man is not the same as the the therapist. The therapist is called Kinsey and he/both of them were there already.

He's a fucking therapist trying to help a boy who can't help himself and he deserves to be shot for that?

Seriously, open your eyes.

Not saying he deserved to get shot but if he didn't put himself in that position it would have never happened, patient or not you don't interfere.
    Actually he was already present on the scene and was told to be still. But ya know, fuck information and facts. You've never enjoyed those.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    He's a fucking therapist trying to help a boy who can't help himself and he deserves to be shot for that?

Seriously, open your eyes.
    Let the police do their job you won't risk getting shot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let the therapist do his job

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    It's like in those video games where you can't figure out how to open the door so you shoot it, it never works.

I am glad the victim of the shooting is still alive.
    Me too. I guarantee the cop is not glad about that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Where do you see this?
    The fact that the call was initially about 2 men? One being the therapist, the other being the autistic run-away.

Okay, have not seen this any place but lets say you are right. How does that mean its okay to shoot him?
    Did you read what you just quoted? Here's a hint: look at the first sentence.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Polybius View Post
    Let the therapist do his job
    A 911 call of a man with a gun is not a job for a therapist.

10+ Year Old Account
    A 911 call of a man with a gun is not a job for a therapist.
    Didn't know toy trucks were guns.

A black therapist? Well clearly that isn't possible so he must be a lying criminal! Shoot him!

I feel like the problem is the police is just a haven for psychos, bullies and people with anger issues. I'm not saying every cop is a bad guy, certainly most aren't, but the way their rules and culture are setup, you're allowing people who shouldn't be in authority, who shouldn't have deadly weapons (and the authority to use them without consequence) to do whatever they want. Idk this seems kinda dumb.

What is their job? Murdering unarmed civilians?

So you dont have an answer?
    Your question is irrelevent.... He said in the first sentence that the guy didn't deserve to get shot...
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

So you dont have an answer?

- - - Updated - - -

It was a toy truck. I mean are the cops fucking blind?
    You get a call of a man in the street with a gun attempting suicide and roll up to two guys laying in the street, you're supposed to just know no one is armed meanwhile one is holding something.