Thread: Prepatch Frost

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Prepatch Frost

Didn't want to do it but there wasn't a prepatch Frost thread, mainly because 90% of DKs are playing Unholy. Anyways, I'd like to kick up some discussion on what the few remaining Frost DKs out there are doing for stat priority, builds, etc.

I was a 13/13 Mythic UDK (not by choice lol) before the prepatch hit and I was also fortunate enough to participate in Legion Beta, in which I level capped and ran some 5 mans as an FDK, trying out all talents along the way.

Before I knew what was said to be optimal, in beta, I leveled using a BoS build featuring Murderous Efficiency, Freezing Fog, Hungering Rune Weapon, Winter is Coming, Permafrost, Gathering Storm, and BoS. It felt great in comparison to the other DPS I encountered in 5 mans along the way. Mixed with artifact upgrades, AoE was strong, ST was good, etc. I also focused on Mastery while doing this because I was totally clueless of what the stat priority would end up being lol.

I did end up trying a build based on Frostscythe, as well, and found that gameplay to be much more fun.

Fast forward to Prepatch, here we are. My guildies and I ran some HFC last night and I was not happy, at all, with how I stacked up with them. Hunters and Priests seem ridiculous right now. I keep trying to tell myself that tuning is based on a 110 level cap with artifacts but it certainly is discouraging returning to Frost and getting wrecked by all the ranged classes. With the 4 set, it seemed like we would have been really OP, spamming Frostscythe 8 times back to back but it actually hit like a wet noodle. The build that I ran last night was Murderous Efficiency, Freezing Fog, Icecap, Winter is Coming, Permafrost, Frostscythe, and Glacial Advance.

At this point, I am totally clueless as to how I can compete with my guildies as Frost. Since the Firelands, I have stuck with FDK as my main and even through the darkest of tiers, ToT, SoO, all of WoD, I kept faith that they would fix it in the next xpac but here we are, and things feel so hopeless still.

So I ask you, what are you guys running for stats, build, trinkets, etc, and how does it stack up to your raidmates?

I'm *this close* to maining a Warlock if we get left in the dust again.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellborne87 View Post
    Didn't want to do it but there wasn't a prepatch Frost thread, mainly because 90% of DKs are playing Unholy. Anyways, I'd like to kick up some discussion on what the few remaining Frost DKs out there are doing for stat priority, builds, etc.

I was a 13/13 Mythic UDK (not by choice lol) before the prepatch hit and I was also fortunate enough to participate in Legion Beta, in which I level capped and ran some 5 mans as an FDK, trying out all talents along the way.

Before I knew what was said to be optimal, in beta, I leveled using a BoS build featuring Murderous Efficiency, Freezing Fog, Hungering Rune Weapon, Winter is Coming, Permafrost, Gathering Storm, and BoS. It felt great in comparison to the other DPS I encountered in 5 mans along the way. Mixed with artifact upgrades, AoE was strong, ST was good, etc. I also focused on Mastery while doing this because I was totally clueless of what the stat priority would end up being lol.

I did end up trying a build based on Frostscythe, as well, and found that gameplay to be much more fun.

Fast forward to Prepatch, here we are. My guildies and I ran some HFC last night and I was not happy, at all, with how I stacked up with them. Hunters and Priests seem ridiculous right now. I keep trying to tell myself that tuning is based on a 110 level cap with artifacts but it certainly is discouraging returning to Frost and getting wrecked by all the ranged classes. With the 4 set, it seemed like we would have been really OP, spamming Frostscythe 8 times back to back but it actually hit like a wet noodle. The build that I ran last night was Murderous Efficiency, Freezing Fog, Icecap, Winter is Coming, Permafrost, Frostscythe, and Glacial Advance.

At this point, I am totally clueless as to how I can compete with my guildies as Frost. Since the Firelands, I have stuck with FDK as my main and even through the darkest of tiers, ToT, SoO, all of WoD, I kept faith that they would fix it in the next xpac but here we are, and things feel so hopeless still.

So I ask you, what are you guys running for stats, build, trinkets, etc, and how does it stack up to your raidmates?

I'm *this close* to maining a Warlock if we get left in the dust again.
    For starters, what's your stat line look like? Do you have a lot of crit or are you still exceptionally mastery tuned? I did well enough in my guild(which honestly is anecdotal) but I'm not too discouraged yet. They still have 40 days to tune the classes. Frost was mostly bugged when you were enjoying it too so we have yet to see actual tuning to it that will seriously effect it in a positive way. I am still being optimistic with the class especially with the set bonus in T19 plus artifact. However, my optimism will decline as we get closer and they do little to no tuning changes.

For starters, what's your stat line look like? Do you have a lot of crit or are you still exceptionally mastery tuned? I did well enough in my guild(which honestly is anecdotal) but I'm not too discouraged yet. They still have 40 days to tune the classes. Frost was mostly bugged when you were enjoying it too so we have yet to see actual tuning to it that will seriously effect it in a positive way. I am still being optimistic with the class especially with the set bonus in T19 plus artifact. However, my optimism will decline as we get closer and they do little to no tuning changes.
    In the latest combination of gear I've been trying (unending hunger and vial) and with zero buffs of any kind -

2736 Crit
    2229 Haste
    2391 Mastery

I've tried to shed Mastery in favor of other gear but there was SO much Mastery gear this tier. I've also tinkered with the class trinket and others but a real winner isn't emerging.

icy talons / frozen pulse / avalance / ? / volatile shielding / frostscythe / glacial advance for talents.

In the latest combination of gear I've been trying (unending hunger and vial) and with zero buffs of any kind -

2736 Crit
    2229 Haste
    2391 Mastery

I've tried to shed Mastery in favor of other gear but there was SO much Mastery gear this tier. I've also tinkered with the class trinket and others but a real winner isn't emerging.
    Skull of War is the best in slot(the inscription trinket) for both frost and unholy. I've gone crit "heavy" and balanced crit/haste and typically have better results with my crit heavy build. 3074 crit, 1429 haste, 2696 mastery. my balanced set is 2455 crit, 2051 haste, 2574 mastery. While the second option feels smoother, I don't notice enough KM procs to really justify using that set...but that's just me personally. However, you should REALLY REALLY want to use avalanche over icecap. Icecap is nice, but avalanche is bonkers.

With 3400 crit/2300 mastery/1900 haste and ME/HoW/Avalanche/FSc/GA I can't dump resources effectively, but finished in the top 3 on both Manny and Archimonde (using UeH and EDH, don't have SoW). Didn't run a single target fight last night, but in testing I found SS/FF=HoW=FP/Avalanche/FSc/GA to come out on top. Tried BoS with ME/FP/Avalanche/RA/BoS to be the best, but still behind the FSc focused builds.

what is highest prio?

killing machine obliterate or rime howling blast?

Quote Originally Posted by Kreeshak View Post
    what is highest prio?

killing machine obliterate or rime howling blast?
    If you have a rime proc sitting, rime, otherwise obliterate.

Been doing Mythic Manno for a bit here and I'm finding the following build to be working the best:

Murderous Efficiency
    Freezing Fog
    Avalanche
    Winter is Coming
    Permafrost / Volatile Shielding
    Frostscythe
    Glacial Advance

I did try the Icy Talons build suggested above and it wasn't bad. However, with the 4 set bonus, I'm getting a ton of KM Frostscythes and I'm wrecking the adds with it. Working well. Thanks for the suggestion on Skull of War, too. Working great.

ME
    HoW
    HRW
    ?
    Permafrost
    Frostscythe
    BoS

Honestly, any build that isn't centered around Frostscythe + BoS is doomed to fail.

Edit: My crit is 800, haste and mastery at ~2500 so I can't make use of talents like Avalanche very well if at all

anyone else feel the 4pc was stealth nerfed? I used to get an initial km fail to proc once or twice a night...now it's numerous times per attempt...exceptionally frustrating when trying to set up aoe.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by I Regret Nothing View Post
    ME
    HoW
    HRW
    ?
    Permafrost
    Frostscythe
    BoS

Honestly, any build that isn't centered around Frostscythe + BoS is doomed to fail.

Edit: My crit is 800, haste and mastery at ~2500 so I can't make use of talents like Avalanche very well if at all
    JaceDK's prepatch builds don't have BoS...so..

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    anyone else feel the 4pc was stealth nerfed? I used to get an initial km fail to proc once or twice a night...now it's numerous times per attempt...exceptionally frustrating when trying to set up aoe.

- - - Updated - - -

JaceDK's prepatch builds don't have BoS...so..
    I don't know who this JaceDK person is and I only listen to people who have graduated College.

I just got #1 rank on mythic manno using the build I posted above

Not saying much that there aren't many FDK parses, though lol.

I don't know who this JaceDK person is and I only listen to people who have graduated College.
    awesome? jacedk is one of the top dks in the community but that doesn't matter to you apparently.

awesome? jacedk is one of the top dks in the community but that doesn't matter to you apparently.
    That's heavily subjective. Top of what community?

That's heavily subjective. Top of what community?
    considering he has the prepatch guides on the archerus discord for both frost and unholy......I'd say it's not subjective at all...but continue thinking you're the shit.

- - - Updated - - -

I just got #1 rank on mythic manno using the build I posted above

Not saying much that there aren't many FDK parses, though lol.
    Was on pace to actually beat your parse then people in my raid died stupidly =/

considering he has the prepatch guides on the archerus discord for both frost and unholy......I'd say it's not subjective at all...but continue thinking you're the shit.
    If I considered myself to be the shit I wouldn't be on these forums looking to discuss Frost DK tactics.

I think we could all learn a thing or two from this JaceDK person.

- - - Updated - - -

Was on pace to actually beat your parse then people in my raid died stupidly =/
    How was your build working vs mine? I really enjoyed mine and felt like I got a lot of value out of it, but could have done better with some tweaks to gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by CausalXXLinkXx View Post
    How was your build working vs mine? I really enjoyed mine and felt like I got a lot of value out of it, but could have done better with some tweaks to gameplay.
    Honestly I'm not sure, I honestly am debating Obliteration going forward. I have a weird feeling the 4pc was stealth nerfed for frost. Before yesterday I would lose KM a couple times a night on the first cast of FS/OB. However, now I'm losing it a bunch of times per attempt. Either it's just super unlucky or they stealth nerfed it(which wouldn't surprise me in the slightest). Our builds are slightly different in a couple aspects but if I'm going to be unlucky with KM procs I may as well spec into Frozen Pulse and IT. May give those a go next week.

Testing Glacial Advance on dummies seems super glitchy. It is really inconsistent at melee range, missing all the time not doing any damage. Didn't play ptr so this might not be anything new. Guess I'll stick to Obliteration for now...