Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    This is a bullshit argument. The purpose of any game us to succeed in the marketplace, not conform to gaming ideologies.
    Keep telling yourself that. I'll be sure to buy FIFA 2016, and ask why there aren't any rocket launchers in it.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Keep telling yourself that. I'll be sure to buy FIFA 2016, and ask why there aren't any rocket launchers in it.
    WoW's casual playability was farther from existing successful MMORPGs than soccer with rocket launchers is from FIFA 2016.

The idea is that Blizzard wants people grouping up to do content. This is going to be a tough pill to swallow for people, as this game has been promoting a solo playstyle outside of instanced content for many expansions now. Reducing self healing / utility is a great and easy way to ensure reliance on others.
    You can only do that so far until it starts to remove the concept of solo survivability. Should tank specs be unable to survive solo content without a healer now? What about older content. Should we have to rely on other people to do old raids for transmog and mount runs, thus increasing competition for rewards from outdated content?

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a non-sequitur.

A strict definition of the term "MMO" contains nothing at all in it that mandates that players must be grouped up together. It's simply a massive (however that is defined but WoW has always met that test) multi-player online game, i.e. multiple people can inhabit the game space and that game space is an online entity. MMO's, every one of them, have always included a great deal of solo content as well as content that requires players to work together to accomplish something. But it's no mandate and most attempts to force this sort of thing end up pushing that piece of the game into a place where most players tend to ignore it. Especially with a player audience that is often Darwinian in nature and then abusive on top of that.

Players like choice--they can and should demand choice about who they socialize with or whether they choose to socialize at all--and so should developers. If an MMO could become 15% larger by going over-the-top with solo content it certainly would in a heartbeat.

The issue of self-healing is a risk for Blizzard. I agree with you that the incentive is to make friends with a healer to do things. But it's up to the individual player as to whether or not they do so. Guaranteed failure for the solo player only loses a customer.

There are no rules to this. One shouldn't pretend that a personal ideology about how a social game should behave is the same as a mandate that it must function in that way.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2016-07-22 at 10:24 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

One advise, make sure to get Trinket from Kazaak.
    It really help while soloing old raids

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by greeeed View Post
    One advise, make sure to get Trinket from Kazaak.
    It really help while soloing old raids
    i'll third/(whatever) this comment, even 1% leech is amazing with item squish giving you 1m dps(or whatever, never checked)
    kazzak trinket gives more than 1%
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Christan View Post
    i'll third/(whatever) this comment, even 1% leech is amazing with item squish giving you 1m dps(or whatever, never checked)
    kazzak trinket gives more than 1%
    It's been nerfed to 4%. It won't help much in current content. Sure won't help keep a solo tank alive anymore.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I agree with you that the incentive is to make friends with a healer to do things. But it's up to the individual player as to whether or not they do so.
    You make a distinction between want and need.

Have you ever wanted to be wanted?

It's something you might understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    It's been nerfed to 4%. It won't help much in current content. Sure won't help keep a solo tank alive anymore.
    Tanks don't have a problem questing, sure you won't be able to aoe down an entire village any more,

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Soul View Post
    They should of given every class a heal that is only usable OOC to make up for all these self healing nerfs.
    There is food that doesn't give you buffs that you can buy from vendors. They are to heal you when you are out of combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Use leech. The Kazzak trinket should be plenty for Cata raids, given the damage boost.
    That's not the OP's point.

Selfhealing for dps classes is anywhere from shit to non-existent and it will make soloing content both current and old much harder.

Unless leech is really common in Legion its going to be even more of a pain.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Deleted
    Soloing current content at level 110 will not be an issue, trust me. The class hall set 2 piece gives you rather rapid recovery out of combat. But it only works in Broken Isles outdoor zones.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    That's a non-sequitur.

A strict definition of the term "MMO" contains nothing at all in it that mandates that players must be grouped up together. It's simply a massive (however that is defined but WoW has always met that test) multi-player online game, i.e. multiple people can inhabit the game space and that game space is an online entity. MMO's, every one of them, have always included a great deal of solo content as well as content that requires players to work together to accomplish something. But it's no mandate and most attempts to force this sort of thing end up pushing that piece of the game into a place where most players tend to ignore it. Especially with a player audience that is often Darwinian in nature and then abusive on top of that.

Players like choice--they can and should demand choice about who they socialize with or whether they choose to socialize at all--and so should developers. If an MMO could become 15% larger by going over-the-top with solo content it certainly would in a heartbeat.

The issue of self-healing is a risk for Blizzard. I agree with you that the incentive is to make friends with a healer to do things. But it's up to the individual player as to whether or not they do so. Guaranteed failure for the solo player only loses a customer.

There are no rules to this. One shouldn't pretend that a personal ideology about how a social game should behave is the same as a mandate that it must function in that way.
    There's no mandates, certainly. But the entire premise of the genre has always been cooperative gameplay, at least in every MMO I've ever played, including WoW. I'd say that solo play in MMO's most typically shows up in the form of unintended results... in WoW's case, being able to solo old raids is a great example. That was by no means an intended 'feature' when this game was created, but instead a side effect of power scaling over time.

MMO's having an emphasis on grouping plays to the the strength of the game.. it's what these games do best. Show me an MMO that provides a ton of single player content, and I'll show you an actual single player title that probably delivers it in a better fashion, for a whole variety of reasons. But I digress.

Self healing seems to be a bit of a rewind for Blizzard, at least as it plays on live right now. I guess we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Soul View Post
    They should of given every class a heal that is only usable OOC to make up for all these self healing nerfs.
    They already do, it's called food.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    They already do, it's called food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graywolfofmibu View Post
    There is food that doesn't give you buffs that you can buy from vendors. They are to heal you when you are out of combat.
    By Heal i meant spell hence the word heal and not mentioning a way to regen health Yes there is food but that takes time, gold, bag space etc. The point i was trying to get across was that they gutted every ones in combat healing but did nothing to shift what they took away and put it into OOC.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like it. Went in to the Legion zones with my ±710 ilvl fury warrior and after the initial quests the mobs did quite a bit more damage. Taking on 2-3 mobs resulted in me sitting at 50-70% health. I mean it is still largely faceroll, but I did die 2 times when taking on a rare + a bunch of nearby mobs that got aggro-ed.

I'm curious as of what Indalamar has to say

I switched over from shadow to disc. I can even solo stuff I couldn't solo before the patch.

Deleted
    The only non healers who should have any self healing, are specs that are built around it, ie: Blood DKs, Affliction Locks and that is about it.

If you want to regain health, sit your ass down and eat. Remember food in WoW? Do you? Remember that mechanic? Remember leaving a city or hub in WoW classic and forgetting food and having to run back? Yeah. It forced players to think and plan ahead, as well maximize their gameplay instead of this silly God of War aoe spam fest.

WoW's success was built on solo play. That's why it took off so fast after Everquest did not -- you could easily solo to max level.

Idiotic conformance to a bogus game ideology of "MMOs are group gameplay" would have knifed the WoW baby in the crib.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Into View Post
    If you want to regain health, sit your ass down and eat. Remember food in WoW? Do you? Remember that mechanic? Remember leaving a city or hub in WoW classic and forgetting food and having to run back? Yeah. It forced players to think and plan ahead, as well maximize their gameplay instead of this silly God of War aoe spam fest.
    Here we see rose tinted goggles for vanilla in action. Vanilla is dead, get over it. Going back to it wont be fun nor work. And you might want to tell that boss in old content you're soloing that you need a break to eat and see how he reacts.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    WoW's success was built on solo play. That's why it took off so fast after Everquest did not -- you could easily solo to max level.

Idiotic conformance to a bogus game ideology of "MMOs are group gameplay" would have knifed the WoW baby in the crib.
    There is a place for both solo and group play. Basic leveling isn't usually the place for group play. There's a reason they even removed most of the old group quests or turned them into single player ones. Most of the end content i.e raids, dungeons, pvp require a group in one form or another already. So the MMO component they want to see does exist.