Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Reddit > any newspaper
    this is one of the cases where you can actually get your most reliable information from the police directly. they are at the edge of the investigation and they'll do everything but release any half checked information. Unlike literally all news agencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Reddit > any newspaper
    These days that's a sad truth. But... remember, live reportings are no good for interpretations. Leave the conclusions up to the newspapers, that's what they're good at and what reddit sucks at.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Yes, CNN is a joke of a news station. It's not much better than Fox News in a lot of cases.
    What is decent Is probably a common question, if there even is decent.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Yes i agreed with you. Didn't know this was capable of being misunderstood, sorry.
    sorry m8 I'm flying.

That's bullshit and has been proven a number of times in recent history? Remember the boston bombings, where reddit almost ruined the lives of innocent people?
    That's because they thought they could make proper conclusions... reddit/twitter are super for live real time coverage of what's actually going on at the moment. But they aren't able to provide any answers.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    This is speculation. It's not confirmed.
    Wait, what?

You guys have been frothing at the mouth against speculation, now you have an article saying that the Munich Police are saying the attackers have Islamist backgrounds, and suddenly it's speculation on the part of the police? The ones you have been looking for to give confirmation about who the attackers were?

That is the normal modus operandi for US media these days. Claim shit, make it as spectacular as you can possibly make it. In an age where Americans tune in to the news based on how dramatic the story is rather than how truthful it is, it's all about ratings. If they knew it would get them more ratings, they would actually claim Aliens have just invaded Europe.

The only reason they're not doing it is because it's not plausible enough. Yet.
    Very few people get their news from CNN or Fox, both CNN and Fox are cable news and only a tiny percentage of Americans consume cable news. Most people get their news from the big three, CBS, ABC and NBC, each of those has 10 times the number of the cable news channels combined. And a lot of people still read their town newspaper.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    Wait, what?

You guys have been frothing at the mouth against speculation, now you have an article saying that the Munich Police are saying the attackers have Islamist backgrounds, and suddenly it's speculation on the part of the police? The ones you have been looking for to give confirmation about who the attackers were?
    Except the police has said none of this. You're citing the same cnn crap over and over again.

Wait, what?

THE ARTICLE is speculation. Or you are. There has been no official announcement about anything of the identity of the attacker.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's because they thought they could make proper conclusions... reddit/twitter are super for live real time coverage of what's actually going on at the moment. But they aren't able to provide any answers.
    They think they can make proper conclusions because they go off of unconfirmed sources all the time. Don't get me wrong, I'm watching the reddit live thread for this situation too. But to put reddit over the likes of, say, the BBC as a reliable news source is absurd.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Dunno if it has been posted, there is a video that shows the supposed shooter in dialogue with a man. Supposed shooter speaks excellent german, if he's an immigrant he's 2nd or 3rd generation.

For anyone interested: The person yelling at the shooter insults him, the shooter say 'I'm a german, I was born here, I was raised in a low income area, and that he had some sort of treatment.

Wait, what?

There is no statement of the police saying that this was an islamist attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Very few people get their news from CNN or Fox, both CNN and Fox are cable news and only a tiny percentage of Americans consume cable news. Most people get their news from the big three, CBS, ABC and NBC, each of those has 10 times the number of the cable news channels combined. And a lot of people still read their town newspaper.
    You know... I think my mental image of the US TV stations is horribly skewed. I can't even remember watching any CBS news clip anywhere. But Youtube is plagued with billions of Fox News garbage. If you had told me CBS and ABC don't exist anymore, I'd have believed you. Are they still the biggest three?

Quote Originally Posted by gypsybob View Post
    Don't worry guys! We'll create a new hashtag and facebook picture filter. That will stop terrorism next time for sure.
    This omg this. Like I hate the gay people on Grindr(sex app mind you for the most part, but also dating) who have #pulse etc in their profile which to me is a slap in the face to the people who died that they're using their tragedy for attention whoring. "Oh look how trendy I am putting this in my profile".

Quote Originally Posted by dubious_doomhammer View Post
    It's not this person specifically, its eyewitness (or earwitness in this case) testimony that's under scrutiny. There are plenty of articles that outline how both eye and ear witness testimony is often inaccurate, so people are waiting for more information instead of blindly believing what one person saw or heard.
    I am almost sure if Loretta heard the gunman say "All hail Breviak, All hail Hitler", suddenly all these people who are discounting what she heard would suddenly believe every word she said.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Wait, what?

Sorry to break it to you, but the one speculating here is CNN and CNN only. Nobody else flings such claims around; Loretta this, islamic that.

Quote Originally Posted by dubious_doomhammer View Post
    It's not this person specifically, its eyewitness (or earwitness in this case) testimony that's under scrutiny. There are plenty of articles that outline how both eye and ear witness testimony is often inaccurate, so people are waiting for more information instead of blindly believing what one person saw or heard.
    On a scale of 0 to 10, with 0 being 100% irrefutable evidence 'Allah Ackbar' was not shouted, and 10 being 100% irrefutable evidence it was shouted, given the two witness accounts we have so far, one claiming it was shouted, the other that an 'anti foreign slur' was shouted, it is slightly more probable than not that it 'Allah Ackbar' was shouted, and it at 6 on the scale, or 60% probability it was shouted.

You know... I think my mental image of the US TV stations is horribly skewed. I can't even remember watching any CBS news clip anywhere. But Youtube is plagued with billions of Fox News garbage. If you had told me CBS and ABC don't exist anymore, I'd have believed you. Are they still the biggest three?
    they tend to be weirdly bundled and/ or placed in strange places; we get MSNBC, but not NBC for example (or NBC is buried really far back, which might be the case).

They think they can make proper conclusions because they go off of unconfirmed sources all the time. Don't get me wrong, I'm watching the reddit live thread for this situation too. But to put reddit over the likes of, say, the BBC as a reliable news source is absurd.
    These live reddit streams are actually pretty accurate I found. They've been cautious with information in all of the French attacks and now with the German attack. They give helpful hints, they relay information that the police wants made public (like avoiding the streets) and so on. And the BBC is always like 5-10 minutes behind reddit (naturally, since they are obligated to confirm facts before pushing it out for millions to see).

I think a combination of both is pretty fucking awesome live coverage these days. But I still wouldn't draw conclusions based on live reports in any case. I always wait for the next day.

Yah, by far. Old habits die hard. Internet and young people might change things in the future, who knows.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland