Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    The one thing BREXIT showed me is how certain Europeans discard selfrespect for blind rage when democracy doesn't go their way. Very sad
    It's more "why people voted without informing themselves better first?". But it isn't just a UK problem, it's a wide spread throughout the Western democracies.

- - - Updated - - -

That's why said politicians quit
    And those that voted for them got screwed. Yes, democracy should be respected, but so far it doesn't look like the UK will actually leave EU, they are trying to get a plan to save face.

Deleted
    Well as a so called old fart I voted to remain so did the rest of my family.
    To me we should have been fully in and not the half arsed half in we have had for years, our currency should have been the same as everyone else
    Not sure why we still think we are running some vast empire them days are long gone time to move on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Wtf are you on?

You didn't even bother your arse to vote yet you sit here and defend the halfwit brexiteers, that is about as sad as it gets.
    Because unlike some salty halfwits I actually believe in democracy and respect peoples vote irrespective if I believe it may be silly or wrong. I aren't going to insult Trump supporters if they vote him president

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    The point of the referendum was not to teach people a lesson.

It was to decide on whether to remain in the EU or not.

The ballot papers did not say "shall we leave the EU immediately?". No time frame was specified on the ballot. So no, people did not vote for immediate brexit, because they didn't vote for a time frame of any sort.
    Naivety doesn't work well with politics. It's obvious that's what was in many voters' mind. And with the months passing on, those same voters will ask "why are we still in the EU?".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Naivety doesn't work well with politics. It's obvious that's what was in many voters' mind. And with the months passing on, those same voters will ask "why are we still in the EU?".
    And likely once they start getting vocal the government will respond faster

10+ Year Old Account
    The one thing BREXIT showed me is how certain Europeans discard selfrespect for blind rage when democracy doesn't go their way. Very sad
    Well, liking democracy doesn't mean liking everything a democracy can potentially result in. I am a big fan of democracy, and yet I think that if Trump wins democratic elections, this country will be in trouble.

There is also an argument that referendums aren't a manifestation of democracy, but, rather, ochlocracy. The government exists exactly because people themselves, in general, aren't knowledgeable enough to make decisions affecting the fate of the whole country - so they choose professional representatives to do the work for them. And yet, here they directly vote for a project the consequences of which most of them don't even realize.
    I've heard that one of the most popular Google requests in the UK after the referendum was, "What is EU?".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    And likely once they start getting vocal the government will respond faster
    And again, the politicians are the same that want to save face. Face it, you guys got lied, trying to defend a false position for the sake of "democratic values" is irresponsible and a bit silly.

That's why in some democratic nations the chief of state has veto powers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Well, liking democracy doesn't mean liking everything a democracy can potentially result in. I am a big fan of democracy, and yet I think that if Trump wins democratic elections, this country will be in trouble.

There is also an argument that referendums aren't a manifestation of democracy, but, rather, ochlocracy. The government exists exactly because people themselves, in general, aren't knowledgeable enough to make decisions affecting the fate of the whole country - so they choose professional representatives to do the work for them. And yet, here they directly vote for a project the consequences of which most of them don't even realize.
    I've heard that one of the most popular Google requests in the UK after the referendum was, "What is EU?".
    I agree you don't have to agree but it depends how you present yourself, there's a difference between disagreeing and insulting

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    There is also an argument that referendums aren't a manifestation of democracy, but, rather, ochlocracy.
    Yep, the "tyranny of the majority".

Trust, or lack of trust, is the key thing. People know that things said during campaigns don't always come true. When voting in a general election there is only one thing that you can be sure of. If the person you voted for gets the most votes then they will be your MP. That is the only thing that you can actually know will definitely happen. People know this, they aren't as stupid as some make them out to be.

An advisory referendum is basically an opinion poll. You don't even get the guarantee that the one thing that's actually on the ballot will happen. Never mind expecting things said during campaigning to come true, you can't even 100% say that what was voted for will come true. I expect it will happen, but as the referendum was not binding it is not 100% assured.
    Last edited by klogaroth; 2016-07-24 at 03:36 PM.

Deleted
    The UK will leave the European Union.

The Tories are fucked if they do and fucked if they don't.

We either leave, and deal with all the shit that comes with leaving, and the Tories probably get voted out in 2020.

Or we stay in, and every other political party runs on the campaign of "The Tories went against democracy and ignored the referendum" in which case the Tories will definately be voted out.

The only thing the Conservatives can realistically do here is roll the dice on Brexit having some tangible gains before the election.

Deleted
    I work in't local Mc' Donalds ahn I vohted brexit cos I gotta compete with then Europeans lads like. That unt fair like, they wants tah work hord and I just wants me monehs.

Like, tut Union told me to vote Leave so I did, but I still can't afford 'ouse like. All them people with monehs just bought all the 'ouses when they got cheap anyway. I used to get 45 days 'oliday, but aye mostly sit around me rented 'ouse and play World of Warcrafts. Now I have to go dowhn dole every week which is really oinoiing..

Still, at least me 7 kids got opportunity now we lefted EU.

Deleted
    I would accept "I don't agree voting Leave was the best decision because reasons" whereas I consider "I don't agree voting Leave was the best decision, those that voted are morons" as petulant snark

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree you don't have to agree but it depends how you present yourself, there's a difference between disagreeing and insulting
    Well, you were talking about democracy. In democracy, a person has the right to express their opinion on the subject, even if the opinion is very harsh. You say that Europeans don't respect a democratic decision, but, in fact, they express their opinion democratically.

Sure, some people are outraged, and I don't think insults are proper. But still, people are free to think that everyone who voted for Brexit was an idiot - although they probably shouldn't say it like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

7+ Year Old Account
    As one of the 17 million halfwits who voted and won the referendum, it has been just a month.

Europe has in history, a reputation of appeasement and being full of surrender monkeys when its very existence is threatened, which is exactly what Brexit does. In just that month on from the referendum, Europe has already offered the UK a ban on free EU movement of peoples/immigration to/from the UK for ten years and yet the UK remaining a member of the single market.

I will tell you that this is not good enough and you will better your offer to keep the UK, even if you have to, as you will and always do, weep about it.

How far do you think Europe will go in begging the UK to stay?
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Europe has in history, a reputation of appeasement and being full of surrender monkeys when its very existence is threatened, which is exactly what Brexit does.
    Neville Chamberlain was British. Your demagogy was completely off the mark.

In just that month on from the referendum, Europe has already offered the UK a ban on free EU movement of peoples/immigration to/from the UK for ten years and yet the UK remaining a member of the single market.
    Have you invoked the Article 50 yet?

Oh, right, it's because of this: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36864273

7+ Year Old Account
    Have you invoked the Article 50 yet?
    Maybe we don't have to. All it requires is that we repeal the 1972 European Communities Act, our membership is instantly null and void as though we never have been a member.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Deleted
    Maybe we don't have to. All it requires is that we repeal the 1972 European Communities Act, our membership is instantly null and void as though we never have been a member.
    So, now the solution is leave through the back door? What? It's even worse.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Brexit is happening and if MPs vote to tell the people to fuck of then it will spell the end of their careers.
    Me not that kind of Orc!

I think they should just leave the EU.