Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

so.... Did I wasted alot of money?

Hello guys, this is the old computer I used to build from scratch and I want to update it (take a look at it and let me know if I did it wrong), I thought that my graphic card would be a priority. I was thinking about buying the gtx 1060 (and yes I did order it... idk if I should cancel my order). I don't know about my memory (ram), I know for sure having (3 x 4gbs) isn't the best but is it a real problem for a guy who play WoW mostly? (but take into consideration I would like to play new games solo since I can't raid anymore because of my schedule) I am doing alot of recording, rendering, editing videos, etc. I was thinking maybe about changing my cpu but when I looked at my cpu and compared it to many others I felt my cpu was still good? am I wrong? Also my case seem very old and everything inside seems to be not very ventilated, my room is getting to the 28-30 degres celcius, it's quite hot... anything I can do about that too?

Please just give me some advice I don't want to waste my money on some hardware that wouldn't benifit me. I don't really care about pricing, but I'm not looking for the top quality stuff either. (don't want to change everything either)

Here is my current rig:

My case is: Antec 900

Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.20 Ghz
    Kingston KHX1600C9D3/4GX 99U5471-020.A00LF KHX1600C9D3/4GX (TOTAL: 12GB)
    MSI Gefore GTX 760
    MB Asus P8Z77-V LK

Storage:
    Samsung 850 Evo 120GB-
    Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
    WD Green 500GB (2009)
    Last edited by zcrooked; 2016-07-23 at 01:10 PM.

A 1060 is about double as fast as a gtx 760, but in WoW you wont see a ton of gains. That said you arent really wasting money, it future proofs your system to an extent for future games. I also have a 760 and plan on buying one soon when the model i want gets released. Dont worry about ram configuration its fine, you could get a small performance boost with an overclockable cpu but not worth the money it would cost.

Depends if you play any games other than wow honestly.

if you only care for wow and can spend a little bit more than what your 1060 was going to cost, i would cancel the gpu order and update your cpu/mobo (and ram if you go for a ddr4 cpu/mobo)

Whilst your cpu is good, the biggest performance gain would be updating it still i.m.o. BEFORE pre patch/legion i easily ran ultra (although.. Shadows off back then) with a decent cpu and bad/avg gpu.

Also depends on what resolution you play on though, i'm assuming 1920x1080.

Again, entirely depends on what you're after, performance gain for wow only? CPU over GPU, but as the above poster said, if you want to future proof overall for any games, you can get the GPU, you just wont notice much of a performance gain in wow.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    A 1060 is about double as fast as a gtx 760, but in WoW you wont see a ton of gains. That said you arent really wasting money, it future proofs your system to an extent for future games. I also have a 760 and plan on buying one soon when the model i want gets released. Dont worry about ram configuration its fine, you could get a small performance boost with an overclockable cpu but not worth the money it would cost.
    Aight, I feel less worried now, I just looked up and it seems the gtx 1060 is in high demands, all supplier are out of stock currently.

I think that card will last a good 3 years, but ill upgrade the cpu over these years, just not now, not worth the money yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TwentyTwelve View Post
    Depends if you play any games other than wow honestly.

if you only care for wow and can spend a little bit more than what your 1060 was going to cost, i would cancel the gpu order and update your cpu/mobo (and ram if you go for a ddr4 cpu/mobo)

Whilst your cpu is good, the biggest performance gain would be updating it still i.m.o. BEFORE pre patch/legion i easily ran ultra (although.. Shadows off back then) with a decent cpu and bad/avg gpu.

Also depends on what resolution you play on though, i'm assuming 1920x1080.

Again, entirely depends on what you're after, performance gain for wow only? CPU over GPU, but as the above poster said, if you want to future proof overall for any games, you can get the GPU, you just wont notice much of a performance gain in wow.
    Yeah, I plan on playing some new games on single player, but all on a 1080p monitor. (1920x1080)

I was also running at Ultra pre-patch but without the Anti-Aliasing and Texture Filtering, but they pushed it in Legion. I also play alot of DayZ Standalone so I think the GPU will be more profitable on that game too.

Maybe I should upgrade the CPU but it wont be this year, and if I do I will go with a new mobo + ram to get ddr4 like you said. Get a new generation hardware.

Anyway, you guys think my Gaming Case is still good? What about my Heat problem is it normal that my computer heat so much my room? Is it that case that is too small? or just my GPU ?

15+ Year Old Account
    Zen is coming Q4/Q1-2017 I would wait and see how that performs or wait for intels.

Skylake didnt impress me, its the first platform to use DDR 4, thats about the only good thing besides 14nm. Once Zen comes out, DDR4 will go way up in price so I would buy some within a few weeks before AMDs offerings hit, so that way you dont get gouged on memory when you do upgrade.

10+ Year Old Account
    A 1060 is certainly not a waste of money when upgrading from a 760. Also, a 1060 would get you larger gains then a new CPU for legion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep the 1060 and wait for new cheaper CPUs to be released, like Zen. The 1060 is a huge upgrade over the 760, but you probably won't see many extra fps in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenny View Post
    A 1060 is certainly not a waste of money when upgrading from a 760. Also, a 1060 would get you larger gains then a new CPU for legion.
    WoW has been and continues to be CPU bound in player dense situations.
    Where your FPS matters, in raids it is usually bottlenecked by your CPU.
    If that were not the case, why the significant difference in opinions between Intel and AMD for WoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the advices everyone, I feel alot better about my dicision now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    WoW has been and continues to be CPU bound in player dense situations.
    Where your FPS matters, in raids it is usually bottlenecked by your CPU.
    If that were not the case, why the significant difference in opinions between Intel and AMD for WoW.
    Having a i7 over his i5 is not going to give him magically higher FPS in WoW, at stock my i7 get's around 30% CPU usage in player heavy situations. However Legion does have plenty of new graphical effects in the engine (Soft shadows, HBAO+), that can be quite taxing on even newer cards, a Geforce 1060 would be quite the performance boost in Legion over the 760.

Deleted
    Having a i7 over his i5 is not going to give him magically higher FPS in WoW, at stock my i7 get's around 30% CPU usage in player heavy situations. However Legion does have plenty of new graphical effects in the engine (Soft shadows, HBAO+), that can be quite taxing on even newer cards, a Geforce 1060 would be quite the performance boost in Legion over the 760.
    Of course it will. You need a CPU with high IPS (high core-clock).

Quote Originally Posted by zcrooked View Post
    Hello guys, this is the old computer I used to build from scratch and I want to update it (take a look at it and let me know if I did it wrong), I thought that my graphic card would be a priority. I was thinking about buying the gtx 1060 (and yes I did order it... idk if I should cancel my order). I don't know about my memory (ram), I know for sure having (3 x 4gbs) isn't the best but is it a real problem for a guy who play WoW mostly? (but take into consideration I would like to play new games solo since I can't raid anymore because of my schedule) I am doing alot of recording, rendering, editing videos, etc. I was thinking maybe about changing my cpu but when I looked at my cpu and compared it to many others I felt my cpu was still good? am I wrong? Also my case seem very old and everything inside seems to be not very ventilated, my room is getting to the 28-30 degres celcius, it's quite hot... anything I can do about that too?

Please just give me some advice I don't want to waste my money on some hardware that wouldn't benifit me. I don't really care about pricing, but I'm not looking for the top quality stuff either. (don't want to change everything either)

Here is my current rig:

My case is: Antec 900

Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.20 Ghz
    Kingston KHX1600C9D3/4GX 99U5471-020.A00LF KHX1600C9D3/4GX (TOTAL: 12GB)
    MSI Gefore GTX 760
    MB Asus P8Z77-V LK

Storage:
    Samsung 850 Evo 120GB-
    Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
    WD Green 500GB (2009)

Are you not able to get 100fps with that rig on ultra? if not turn shadows to low.
    Your only slightly lower then my rig but i am running a 6th gen i5 quad core with 32gb ram compared to your 3rd gen i5 quad core and 12gb ram...

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

I agree with you, my current FPS without those options activated are arround the 80-110 mark, if I activate them I drop very very low, 20-30 FPS, with the redering even lower, so the FPS will be alot better with the 1060. My CPU isn't even fully loaded so.. I'm bouncing arround 40 to 60, maybe when im streaming/ it goes to ~ 90%. But lets say I don't stream or record.. I don't need to upgrade CPU.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I can agree on the future proof thing. I have a 680GTX that I bought on release and it is handling everything fine still. Both Overwatch and WoW on max graphics

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakotsu View Post
    Are you not able to get 100fps with that rig on ultra? if not turn shadows to low.
    Your only slightly lower then my rig but i am running a 6th gen i5 quad core with 32gb ram compared to your 3rd gen i5 quad core and 12gb ram...
    Yes, I do have arround 100 FPS even with shadows, but im not aiming to play WoW only. Maybe I sound greedy... but I'd like to be able to play the upcoming games on very good settings, it just add to the experience. Anyway, it's been 3 years I had this setup. So I guess switching the GPU only will do it. I'll see the difference this week. Maybe WoW won't change that much but will definetly give me better results on GPU Games in the upcoming year.

Yes, I do have arround 100 FPS even with shadows, but im not aiming to play WoW only. Maybe I sound greedy... but I'd like to be able to play the upcoming games on very good settings, it just add to the experience. Anyway, it's been 3 years I had this setup. So I guess switching the GPU only will do it. I'll see the difference this week. Maybe WoW won't change that much but will definetly give me better results on GPU Games in the upcoming year.

well i feel your pain my 6th gen I5 quad core 2.7 mhz not over clocked thou with 32 gb ddr4 ram out performs my buddies I7 3rd gen cpu at 4.7 ghz overclocked to 5.0ghz and his 32 ddr3 ram... according to benchmarks by over 200 rating so dunno. I dont think your going to see that much of a increase if you just get a newer vid card dunno might be wrong dont know how well the 1060-1080 are doing... And really they seem pretty damn expensive. Especially the new titanX's

Then again I am running a 2gb asus geforce 750 ti and now that i unchecked the stupid limit on fps in game im around 120-200fps in wow. so dunno doom runs reaL smooth on highest settings.

so again not sure if your going to see much improvement just by getting a vid card. Even upgrading ur cpu to current gen might not give u much but more Ram Could possibly.

The other thing u might need to conside is wow is a cpu based game yes a vid card helps out but its more CPU based and other games are more Graphic card based. But like I sad my 750 ti which is lower then yours runs DOOM which is heavy on both cpu and graphics card great. so yours should be fine.

One other note with people always saying future proof why upgrade if you dont have to theres always more stuff coming out look at nvidia they released the 1070 then the 1080 then the 1060 then a titanx all in the same year. When your system cant handle something thats when you should upgrade it not future proof a system before hand.
    Last edited by Nakotsu; 2016-07-25 at 10:02 PM.

Ram does barely anything for speeding up games and running 32 GB like above poster is completely overkill from a gaming pov, check below article out.

http://www.techspot.com/article/1043...ram/page3.html

Your CPU is still good however all your tasks are CPU heavy so upgrading the GPU wont get you much. I would consider saving for an i7 build without a videocard, a case with good airflow and overclock it.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Update: I just got my GTX 1060 and tested WoW and DayZ Standalone
    Settings:
    http://imgur.com/a/gZg3L
    http://imgur.com/a/TqXhJ

FPS are shown on the bottom left corner.
    Pretty much the same as before with the only difference I have more detailed graphics, but on a 1080p monitor the difference is really small to see. You don't really pay attention to that when you are playing anyway.

Buttttt on the other hand on DayZ Standalone... WOWWWWWWWWWWWW!! Everything maxed out with a steady 100 FPS + this is just CRAZY! Can't wait to test other games!
    Last edited by zcrooked; 2016-07-26 at 03:57 PM.

Update: I just got my new 1060 and tested out only two games so far, on wow I didn't notice any, I say it again , no big difference at all. I have the same FPS Avg.

Settings:
    http://imgur.com/a/gZg3L
    http://imgur.com/a/TqXhJ

FPS are shown on the bottom left corner.

Buttttt on the other hand on DayZ Standalone... WOWWWWWWWWWWWW!! Everything maxed out with a steady 100 FPS + this is just CRAZY! Can't wait to test other games!
    WoW is a very CPU heavy game, shouldnt have noticed any difference with that GTX 760 isnt that bad for WoW.