Page 1 of 3
LastLast

3k$ Build, hope no mistake were made

Hello, I just bought a new computer ... wanted to check with you guys before but I bought it kinda impulsively. I did some research before and the vendor seemed to know its subject so this should not be too horrible ;o)

If there is something really bad in there, i MAY be able to change it since they deliver my computer in 2-3 days from today (but it has been built already). All advices are more than welcome !

I payed around 3200 euro. The only difference between the part picker i setup here is that my SSD is a 750evo not a 850. [it adds to to about 3K$ with the price of the card and the case ... not too bad considering I bought everything at the same place and it got built and a 2y warranty]

Budget : 3200 euros
    Resolution: 2K
    Game/settings : All kind of game includig demanding one, at 80+ fps in max settings
    Other software used: nothing fancy, no. But I needed a screen with a good vison angle since I use it to watch movies with my GF (hence the 279q).
    part to reuse: no
    peripheral : speakers

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($344.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M 76.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($98.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($147.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($88.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($159.75 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G Video Card
    Case: NZXT H440 (Orange/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: Cooler Master 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
    Monitor: Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 27.0" 165Hz Monitor ($749.00 @ B&H)
    Speakers: Razer Leviathan 60W 2.1ch Speakers ($195.99 @ Other World Computing)
    Total: $2069.57
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-24 05:52 EDT-0400

What do you think ?

Woulda gone with a M.2 SSD, and a big one, for what you're paying.

Also Monitor + Speaker skews the price. I'd exclude that.

Three things. 1) I would have gone with a Western Digital HDD. Seagate's failure rate is much higher. 2) 650W is not going to get you very far as far as overclocking goes. 3) The Corsair H110i GT is 113CFM for virtually the same price (37CFM more for $1 extra)

10+ Year Old Account
    Why did you buy Win10? Oo

Shouldn't the free upgrade action still be running?

Looks like a good system, don't see any flaws right off the bat.
    Except them derpy Razer speakers. But I'm an audiophile, so disregard that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemyhlol View Post
    2) 650W is not going to get you very far as far as overclocking goes.
    maybe, maybe not.

Imho Overclocing is way overrated anno 2016. Back in the day OCing made heck of a difference in ACTUAL applications. Nowadays is mostly there for benchmarking and E-Peen. No game will go from "barely playable" to "nicely rendered" due to overclocks, so I'd say for the average joe (which applies to the OP, else he wouldn't ask whether he made mistakes) it's not worth the hassle, increased power draw, higher load temps and inherent risks.

BTW: 650W is fine for any single card setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    No game will go from "barely playable" to "nicely rendered" due to overclocks
    Three years down the road overclocking his build may be the difference between 45FPS and 60FPS. It might not be relevant in his build now but it will later.

Three things. 1) I would have gone with a Western Digital HDD. Seagate's failure rate is much higher. 2) 650W is not going to get you very far as far as overclocking goes. 3) The Corsair H110i GT is 113CFM for virtually the same price (37CFM more for $1 extra)
    650 watts is MORE than enough, stop spreading that insane missinformation

10+ Year Old Account
    Three years down the road overclocking his build may be the difference between 45FPS and 60FPS. It might not be relevant in his build now but it will later.
    You will not get that big of a difference in a "real life" game from OCing alone.
    Esp not w/o driving voltages into really scary regions, making custom loop water cooling a necessity.

At that point I would argue that newer hardware makes more sense, esp once you consider other advances like more instructions, possible process shrinks (less power draw, less heat) etc.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2016-07-24 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    650 watts is MORE than enough, stop spreading that insane missinformation
    Considering I was running a very similar 1080 build 2 weeks ago with a 650W and was getting hard-resets with a 20% OC before I replaced it with an 800W, I can attest that 650W is NOT enough.

Deleted
    I wouldn't use a HDD at all, I have a similar priced PC recently, I got m.2 as OS and fave games drive and rest of my storage is SSD, HDD are way too slow for pricey computers

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering I was running a very similar 1080 build 2 weeks ago with a 650W and was getting hard-resets with a 20% OC before I replaced it with an 800W, I can attest that 650W is NOT enough.
    AMPs > Watts.

You need to pay attention to how many Amps per lane your PSupply can deliver. You might overtax one lane w/o actually exceeding the 650W.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fixup View Post
    I wouldn't use a HDD at all, I have a similar priced PC recently, I got m.2 as OS and fave games drive and rest of my storage is SSD, HDD are way too slow for pricey computers
    And still wasted effort for large data like movies etc.

Having a cheap, large HDD for that makes sense.

I have 1.5 TB of movies that I never move. Why the heck would I dump than on a precious SSD?

anecdotal evidence is the same as straight up lying. Your PSU was broken, simple as that.

I7-6700k @4.8GHz with 1.4V Overvoltage
    GTX 980ti @+180MHz +450MHz
    750W RM750i PSU

total Wattage drawn by the system: 401W

Deleted
    And still wasted effort for large data like movies etc.

Having a cheap, large HDD for that makes sense.

I have 1.5 TB of movies that I never move. Why the heck would I dump than on a precious SSD?
    yeah true, i did lie abit as I got external HDD for movies i forgot about that. still SSD's have faster access, I plan on ridding my external asap when I can get 5TB+ SSD in my PC

@Ey-Lord: Remove the HDD and go full SSD. for Storage use a NAS.

10+ Year Old Account
    I7-6700k @4.8GHz with 1.4V Overvoltage
    Are you insane?!
    It hurts just reading that.

GTX 1080 doesnt draw more than 200w overclocked same for processor so I bet that power supply you used wasnt working well...

Are you insane?!
    It hurts just reading that.
    You obviously have no experience with Overclocking and Watercooling.

10+ Year Old Account
    You obviously have no experience with Overclocking and Watercooling.
    But I do have experience with semiconductors and feel sorry for the chip.
    There is damage you are doing that is not reflected in temperature.

Even if your temps don't exceed 60°C, you are damaging it and short it's lifetime with aggressive voltages like that.

But I do have experience with semiconductors and feel sorry for the chip.
    There is damage you are doing that is not reflected in temperature.

Even if your temps don't exceed 60°C, you are damaging it and short it's lifetime with aggressive voltages like that.
    I'm an Enthusiast and dedicate a big junk of my money to my PC.
    By the time that shortened lifetime affects the CPU, I've upgraded my CPU three to four times already.

Thx everyone:

For the M.2 SSD, I thought about it, it seems nice but what I paid was already more than what I planned to so I had to let the idea of a 500go SSD M2 go ... this is something that can easyli be changed down the road tought.

For the power supply, considering I do not plan to use SLI at all and I will likely do some very "soft" overcloacking since I'm not familliar with it. (the guy who built my machine put my proc at 4.2 /1.35v ; I'm currently reading about it but it seems 4.4 for the same voltage seems fine considering I dont want to take any risks and the performance gain is really low)

Considering seagate / WD : I talked to many different vendors and each one had a different opinion...so I went with seagate, we will see As mentioned in the thread this a storage drive for mostly films / series since I "consume" lots of them.

Regarding the cooling system, I do not know much about them so I trusted the shop... maybe I should'nt have ^^ Considering I will not OC muchk, the 240M should do the trick thought.

On the win 10 topic, I wasnt aware of significant difference between home/pro. I think I've alway had a "home" win edition and did not notice anything that bothered me too much. I paid it because I tried to upgrade my cracked windows 7 at home and failed and figured that 100 euros was an ok price to pay to not have to bother with that for 5+ years

I'm a bit relieved that you guys did not found something too horrible about the purchase overall ^^