Thread: Rip yahoo 2016

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Rip yahoo 2016

yahoo was sold to verizon for $4.83bn (£3.7bn) www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36881101

Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post
    yahoo was sold to verizon for $4.83bn (£3.7bn) www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36881101
    I might finally make an effort to ditch my yahoo address lol, only kep it because it it's too much of a pita to change everything to something else.

*shrugs* Maybe they can finally figure out what to do with that company. Yahoo hasn't been relevant amongst the big techs in years, in spite of all their attempts to catch up.

They might still keep the name, who knows?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I might finally make an effort to ditch my yahoo address lol, only kep it because it it's too much of a pita to change everything to something else.
    All my personal email accounts, my job-search email account, and most of my family's email accounts are yahoo accounts. Only use google mail for work and even then, I dunno the way it automatically sorts emails can be annoying at times when it sends important work emails to the wrong folder because I'm CC'd rather than one of the primary recipients etc.

$5 billion seems really small compared to what some no name startups get.

Deleted
    Very poorly managed company, Marissa Mayer was an overhyped failure, at least they're being bought for more than 0 (their business valuation at one point excluding the Ali BABA stake was near 0 dollars) giving a decent exit for shareholders who stuck with them

Deleted
    i remember yahoo and excite had an offer for google for £750k years ago many years ago i bet there kicking themselfs now

What has Yahoo been for the last 15 years, other than PUP and bloatware?

Microsoft offered to buy Yahoo for 44.6 billion dollars in 2008, and Yahoo turned down their offer. I guess that wasn't such a good decision.

https://techcrunch.com/2008/02/01/wo...acquire-yahoo/

Deleted
    i didnt even know yahoo was still around other than yahoo answers, thought they went bust a few years back!

10+ Year Old Account
    Wonder if Verizon can pull the company out of irrelevancy

I still use yahoo for my secondary search engine. So i can read some articles and shit when I'm bored.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

See ya Melissa Mayer, you never should have risen above middle management.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Wonder if Verizon can pull the company out of irrelevancy
    Yahoo Finance was well utilized several years ago, not sure if that is still the case. Also Yahoo Answers, not sure if there's anything else salvageable about the company.

Lots of issues with Yahoo but the main one currently (in my opinion) is their lack of cohesive product identity and differentiation. People think of Google and they think of the search engine; what do people think about when they think of Yahoo? A shittier version of Google? Those ads from the 90s?

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    I haven't ever had an issue with Yahoo - it was relevant early on with geocities for me, and launched me into my current endeavors in my career.. I get the hate, but is yahoo really that bad? Tons of history from yahoo back in the 90's and I guess that's the reason I've never hated yahoo... idk, I guess I just haven't seen a good reason why yahoo is so bad as stated in the thread?

That Tumblr investment didn't help Yahoo out too much...

15+ Year Old Account
    What did you guys even use yahoo for? We didn't use it here in Finland at all... not sure if it was used in Europe generally at all either.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

I have honestly forgotten Yahoo even existed and i remember how big it was in the 2000's .
    Damn things become absolute so fast.

Back when I was in school, a lot of people use Yahoo, for the online games and other things, but never heard anything much since then. Although, I still use Hotmail, so, yeah.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    See ya Melissa Mayer, you never should have risen above middle management.

- - - Updated - - -

Yahoo Finance was well utilized several years ago, not sure if that is still the case. Also Yahoo Answers, not sure if there's anything else salvageable about the company.
    I saw a video a few days ago that went over the salvageable parts of Yahoo, Yahoo Sports was another one of them