Thread: Loot priority

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    If you are not then you should distribute gear equally because the threat of a decent raider leaving your guild for greener pastures at some point is greater than the significance of gearing the raid team efficiently.
    This is true and that's why Blizzard moved towards personal legendaries because the amount of people who got their shadowmourne or tarecgosa in a server #10 guild for being the "top performer" and immediately after grabbing it jumped to let's say server #2 guild was creating a lot of drama and tears.

Investing solely in your top performers even when you're 100% certain of their loyalty is still a risk - what if they get a job that suddenly collides with raid times? Get a child born? Get a scholarship far away? Go to a hospital? Now a big chunk of your loot progress is gone with that guy.

Deleted
    You have to play it by what's best for your guild - you can't just try and ape another guild that's totally different to yours. For example, the very top guilds might prioritise DPS but that's because they're knocking over encounters whilst severely undergear - so the DPS checks are very tight. In addition, their players can be expected to fully minimise damage taken and tanks will make optimal use of their own active mitigation.

However, in a guild much further behind on progress, the DPS won't be as tight as you have much better gear. People may also take more extra damage, thus leaving healers with more to do.

You also need to spread gear out a bit anyway. You create a self fulfilling prophecy if you just load it into a small number of players who are initially ahead on DPS who will then never be anything else, even if not playing the best, because their item level will be so far ahead of the others. Finally, you need to really have this discussion with your raid roster, if there's to be discussion at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    If you are the best (best on your server, decent ranking world wide) or if you have a really strong guild community, you should do what is most efficient for progression (which is DPS>Tanks>Healers, especially for tier). If you are not then you should distribute gear equally because the threat of a decent raider leaving your guild for greener pastures at some point is greater than the significance of gearing the raid team efficiently.
    I don't like the fact that you think a strong guild community = loot priority for dps. I had a very strong guild community. We distributed gear equally. And this was also a reason why it was strong as it was. How everyone was treated the same that we had guildmeetings where 75% would show up and the other 25% were too poor or didn't have time to attent but would have liked to. We still to this day play other games with eachother and keep in touch via all sorts of media.

Having a strong community does not equal that you should give lootpriority. Ofcourse I am not saying that if you have a weak community, it is equally "as smart" to give lootpriority to any class. Ofcourse not. Better have a strong community if you attempt this.

You know what happened in my guild tho? People passed for eachother for what they thought benefitted the guild most. Not always ofcourse, but usually at the start and at the end it happened quite frequently.

Still people here seem to overestimate the value of giving priority to the dps. If you have a solid team of really good raiders, it doesn't matter where your gear lands really. But if you have weak dps, sure go ahead and boost them. Personally I never bothered with keeping weak players around. If they cannot pull their respective numbers... what is the point in showering them with loot? Better get better players in. And ofcourse that is easier said then done and takes a lot of time and work. Still equally distributing while perhaps "not perfect" in a lot of views on these boards will make your guild and raid happier. Especially if the raiders themselves can decide where to put the loot.

To come back to "strong community". It mostly depends if this situation works for your guild if this is stated on your guildrules that this is how loot is distributed. People who join will know beforehand and therefore accept. People that join your guild also accept any rules you have prio to joining. So... yeah strong community is nice. But good leadership is better with solid guildrules, in this particular situation.

I am baffled at the amount of people wanting to prioritize dps. I might be an idiot for not having this implemented back then... but the sense I am getting is that "everyone" just copied/parrotted the "dps prio" instead of actually seeing the difference and judging wether it is worth it for YOUR guild. Again the drama you potentially get ... is it worth it? fuck..

I've seen my share of people getting geared up and then leveling. Or one aspect being better than others and then wipes happening because of it. I think the only time you have some sort of prio is when you are replacing someone - someone you know will be around. for instance, your second tank dies in a car accident, and your solid mage that always shows up has a good tank alt. You can slide some extra pieces his way to make up for the loss of the other tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    We always ran with whoever it's the highest upgrade for until everyone has at least 1 piece of gear for the reset and repeat. Tier pieces prio to people who will get 2 or 4 piece. Worked on normal, heroic and the couple of mythic bosses we did (I quit at that point due to irl stuff). No loot drama as everyone was getting something and we could progress just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfik View Post
    lol, so happy we don't have to play together talking about having fun playing games while trying to achieve something.
    Yep. Because mom and pop guilds are doing so well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post

I am baffled at the amount of people wanting to prioritize dps. I might be an idiot for not having this implemented back then... but the sense I am getting is that "everyone" just copied/parrotted the "dps prio" instead of actually seeing the difference and judging wether it is worth it for YOUR guild. Again the drama you potentially get ... is it worth it? fuck..
    If you are baffled by what is the simplest concept of loot priorities to more expediently down raid bosses without question being dps first then no amount of explaining is going to help you.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

If you are asking this question, I think you might be better off not giving prio to anyone or the more active/loyal players.

And the healers get loot last thing everyone loves isn't exactly a nice idea for the start of an expansion. It's fine for the second/third tiers though.

Easiest way to do things ... make your entire guild post their BIS list on your forums. If it's not on their list it's not going to them. If no one has it on a list, council gives it to who they feel would make the most use of it. If multiple have it, council gives it to who they feel most deserves it. I judge based on attendance and whether or not they stand in fire/die every fight.

I main a healer currently. Have played a mix of all 3 roles across different levels of progression since before the AQ gates opened.

Gear your DPS first if you value progression. There's really no debate here. Assuming all players are of equal skill in their respective roles, gearing DPS is far and away the most correct choice to make.

Deleted
    The only thing I usually prioritize for my guild is giving tier pieces that makes someone reach 2 or 4 set bonus

Quote Originally Posted by Enitzu View Post
    Easiest way to do things ... make your entire guild post their BIS list on your forums. If it's not on their list it's not going to them.
    I agree with the BiS list idea; it's generally how we communicate and anticipate what pieces go where during progression. Takes a lot of time out of the in-game loot council debates.

If no one has it on a list, council gives it to who they feel would make the most use of it. If multiple have it, council gives it to who they feel most deserves it. I judge based on attendance and whether or not they stand in fire/die every fight.
    No amount of loot will fix their issues.

I don't think that anyone has mentioned it yet but a loot system depends on your raids size.

For a small little 10-15 with people constantly signing up you will find that people naturally form small groups and know roughly who should get what.
    With an extended team of 15-20+ people joining you might find more people swinging in and out of raids. Thus something more rewarding might be needed.

During WoD I raided as an officer and we used Loot Council. The 5 officers were both tanks, a healer, a hunter and myself who changed roles depending on needs. The healers very quickly became close and thus loot was very easily shared between them. The tanks had no issue sorting loot out since there was only 1 other plate user.
    Then again even at the top end we only really 20 max on the roster at a time with most people being very dependable.

When I was part of the old 25 mans back in the day, with a roster of 30 people they did use DKP but then again with 8-12 people rolling on one item it would be extremely hard to decide between themselves.