World's last VCR manufacturer to cease production

It's the end of an era.

SAN FRANCISCO - For everyone who's still got a stash of old VHS tapes tucked in a box somewhere, watch them quick. The world's last producer of home-use video cassette recorders is ending production at the end of the month.

Funai Electronics in Japan cited declining sales and difficulty finding parts as why it's ending production of the once revolutionary machines, Japan's Nikkei reported Thursday.

Once upon a time Funai sold up to 15 million VCRs annually, but in 2015 that was down to 750,000 units.

The paperback book-sized magnetic tapes were first introduced in Japan in 1976 and arrived in the United States in 1977.

They represented the beginnings of the home entertainment revolution. For the first time consumers could watch movies at home, whenever they wanted to. They also could tape and watch television shows, freeing them from the schedule of the networks and allowing them to fast-forward through commercials.

Known as VHS tapes, for "video home system," the tapes allowed viewers to break with the constraints of media gate keepers, laying the groundwork for today's streaming media.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/n...unai/87413962/

http://fortune.com/2016/07/21/last-v...ecorder-maker/

Think I am finally going to convert all my home movies to digital format....

Surprised they even sold that many in 2015.

SUCK ON THAT VCR.

love always,

Beta

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Think I am finally going to convert all my home movies to digital format....
    Digital is the devil, stay analog my friend.

For everyone who's still got a stash of old VHS tapes tucked in a box somewhere, watch them quick.
    That's not how technology works. Nintendo systems stopped being manufactured long ago and you can still play games on them if they're working.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah that's insane that they were still selling in modern times. I doubt they'll stop being produced all together though. Maybe by this one company but much like record players and vinyls, this shit will be made by someone trying to cash in on the nostalgia/hipster stuff.

I call dibs on the idea

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    Perhaps, however doing some repair work here and there on hardware and computers. One of the most asked questions you get the last years is people wondering if VCR's can converted to something digital as they are worried about losing their tapes often filled with family events, birthdays, holidays, weddings. That and while most people kept their tapes very few own a working VCR player.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    Trump voters gotta watch movies somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    Trump voters gotta watch movies somehow.
    That's funny because I happen to have a few working VHS players siting around.