Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    I think your scenario is very against the spirit of what the OP is talking about. I don't think Naxx 40 was tuned even close to as tight as mythic HFC was. The tuning seemed hard because people weren't getting the most out of their characters. If you need everyone to be pulling 500 dps to beat an encounter, the game doesn't care if you get there via gear or skill.

Also, there was no difference in ilvl between AQ 40 and Naxx 40. It was all ilvl 88. The difference in output between between mythic Highmaul gear and mythic HFC gear was about x10.
    ilvl's did not exist back then. Every gear piece was itemized by themselves.
    It came down to stats comparing only. So looking at ilvl could give a very wrong impression. the only way to compare items is to check an old database.

Then again, i wasn't there i never got past UBRS in classic.

Just wondering, did you actually raid naxx or are you just assuming stuff?
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrno View Post
    ilvl's did not exist back then. Every gear piece was itemized by themselves.
    It came down to stats comparing only. So looking at ilvl could give a very wrong impression. the only way to compare items is to check an old database.

Then again, i wasn't there i never got past UBRS in classic.

Just wondering, did you actually raid naxx or are you just assuming stuff?
    Ilvl has always been a thing I belive from the start of AQ40 to the end of naxx the differnce was less then 10 so hes very much right on the tightness of number tuning being very different now and then.

Confirmation edit AQ40 started at ilvl 85 and ended at 88 and Naxx 40 ended at 89
    Last edited by Firatha; 2016-11-02 at 07:16 AM.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

Deleted
    If naxx40 was open today it'd get cleared quickly by poopsockers AKA hardcore raiders AKA third most prominent adult diapers users after old people and hillary clinton.

The rest or the average RAIDER (mind you codeword) would be fucked on shit like 4horse and need 40 people.

just to post some stats here only 23 US guilds fully cleared Naxx 40 which is less then .1% of all the player base back then which was roughly around 890K Lvl 60's.

like to also mention some bosses had fast killing abilitys like locus swarm that does enough damage to kill you in 6 seconds. due to avg HP was around 3,600 it caused 1200 damage/2sec per stack...

also some food for thought...

That raid required money *which 50 gold was a shit ton back then...*
    Pots to do damage again requires money and grinding.
    Attunement quest chain was a pain...
    Resistance gear was actually useful and needed which IMO was one of the worse stats in the game to be put in.
    Loot was scarce as hell so not only you had to get gear but so did the rest of your raid * 39*
    Most classes was crap back then Warriors was the only real tanks and priest was the only real healers.

People also forget most spells didnt exist. tanks didnt have much AOE aggro abilites to keep aggro from add's, Mana was a huge issue hell even hunters had mana back then... Trash/Add's was way worse back then then it is now in terms of live comparsion.

Only the very top players was able to do this raid back then and there's havent been anything like it since its time.
    Last edited by frostblitz; 2016-11-02 at 07:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    That's assuming you'd conjure frost resistance gear out of thin air. Unlike Naxx 2.0, it wasn't optional.

"If Naxx40 released in today's modern raiding enviroment, how long would it last?"

we dont have frost resistance in modern raiding enviroment and strategy was close to non existant in naxx, mostly just gear checks
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    "If Naxx40 released in today's modern raiding enviroment, how long would it last?"

we dont have frost resistance in modern raiding enviroment and strategy was close to non existant in naxx, mostly just gear checks
    you never did naxx, lol

Like how everyone thinks they did NAXX 40 back when it released... when stats shows only 23 US server guilds have ever full cleared it before BC was released >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Natureseer View Post
    you never did naxx, lol
    so what was a special strategy durin naxx again? stand on A or B? mind control a mob? dont stand in shit durin a very easy to dodge "dance"?

the only reason naxx had little participation was because it took forever to get ready for it, not the difficulty
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    Ilvl has always been a thing I belive from the start of AQ40 to the end of naxx the differnce was less then 10 so hes very much right on the tightness of number tuning being very different now and then.

Confirmation edit AQ40 started at ilvl 85 and ended at 88 and Naxx 40 ended at 89
    My wording was indeed incorrect i'll give you that What i ment is that ilvl budget was hidden untill WotLK patch i think?
    Which is also the point when they stopped doing gear budgets fully manually.

Because they created all the gear pieces manually some gear pieces became next to useless(bad stats) and some gear were so amazing they could last you a long long time From what i remember naxx gear was just way better itemised despite being nearly the same ilvl.

Doing this from the top of the my obv.
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

Deleted
    Something I feel a lot of you missing out on is the fact that characters relative power and utility is so much stronger today than it was in vanilla naxx. It was a lot harder because you did not have immortality as a tank or the tools necessary for easily handling adds etc. They've given you better tools these days and also made new types of challenges to suit those tools (such as cenarius spear)

Deleted
    Be nice to see something like Naxx it had such a spooky vibe.

On topic, not long for all the reasons already listed.

it would be doable. in today's wow you simoly wouldnt have to farm as much outside of raids since both gold and buff materials are (FAR) more readily available. finding 40 people who would commit their lives to raiding was the hardest part while the dungeon itself was certainly also not easy.

Naxx has already released with the current mindset with its wrath tuning. It didn't last 24 hours for most guilds

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Naxx has already released with the current mindset with its wrath tuning. It didn't last 24 hours for most guilds
    Re-read the thread and check the ability damage comparison. Many of them did the same damage at level 80 as they did on 60. In other words, most of it was tuned like LFR, with occasional boss reaching Normal level.

The original Naxx was clearly intended to be the hardest raid of its time, so that logically means Mythic. You know, the mode where abilities do 10 times as much damage as their LFR counterparts.

Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    Re-read the thread and check the ability damage comparison. Many of them did the same damage at level 80 as they did on 60. In other words, most of it was tuned like LFR, with occasional boss reaching Normal level.

The original Naxx was clearly intended to be the hardest raid of its time, so that logically means Mythic. You know, the mode where abilities do 10 times as much damage as their LFR counterparts.
    Tuned as lfr. Hahahahahah. Naxx at 80 could atleast kill you. Its more like current heroic or a little belowt

Lfr you have to try to die. Could they water down naxx further. I bet you they sure could with the winners of today

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Once again - the abilities did the same damage they did at 60, with 20 more levels. This is not how "hardest raid" is supposed to be tuned. It was made easy on purpose. If LFR existed back then, it would have been even easier, but we didn't even have automated LFG at that point.

At most, you could compare it to Normal difficulty. Abilities were somewhat painful and you could wipe, but repeated mistakes were possible and you didn't really need gear for anything. Very different from the original and hardly an example of difficulty preserving remake.

If guilds had 8 tanks available - 1 day.

If they didn't, then probably a few weeks until they poached enough tanks from other guilds.

Naxx40 back in the day lasted around 15 days if you remove the 2 month gap where everyone was gearing 8 warrior tanks with t3 4 piece.

8 bosses died in 10 days, 5 bosses died in day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    He did get carried, watched a couple of his videos, dude's a scrub skill-wise in most games.
    He might be a scrub in other games, but was a god in WoW. Even after coming back to the game after long breaks, he still ranked #1 on a lot of parses for mythic fights. People hate just to hate , i swear.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by inkberry View Post
    Watching videos from 40 man naxx it's mind blowing how bad the "top" raiders were back then compared to the average relevant mythic raider today. Clicking keyboard turners in world firsts? You're kidding me right?

Naxx 40 would barely even count as content right now unless it had some absurd artificial difficulty like everyone needing x amount of resistance to this one specific element on certain fights. This thread has GOT to be joking.

edit: a word
    Quote Originally Posted by Platscha View Post
    People were using ingame raidwarnings and keyboardturning/clicking... KEYBOARDTURNING/CLICKING and achieving world firsts.
    The encounters would be faceroll for any modern day mythic guild in terms of mechanics.
    lol. Funny. If we're being honest with each other, today's top raiders, assuming they'd never seen the fights before, would spend quite a bit of time wiping to the them, even if the mechanics are simpler, and then they'd overcome it. If you took Vanilla's top raiders, or BC's top raiders, and you showed them modern Mythic raid content, they'd spend quite a bit of time wiping to it and then they'd overcome it.

Now if you're talking about the average heroic raid guild ... I doubt they'd be able to handle any Vanilla content post-Ragnaros. Because boss fights and trash mobs and attunements and everything in Vanilla WoW wasn't just about overcoming mechanics and "lol don't stand in fire / don't move with debuff or you'll blow up raid / lol got debuff run to safe spot" (Not that those didn't exist ... ) It was about who had the sheer force of will to endure the game saying "lol fuck you." at every single turn. Raid content now is designed to give you a nice challenge - You WILL eventually beat the content - Vanilla WoW raid content was designed to make you hate your life. Trash was awful, mechanics despite being simple were a massive pain in the pecker, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    lol. Funny. If we're being honest with each other, today's top raiders, assuming they'd never seen the fights before, would spend quite a bit of time wiping to the them, even if the mechanics are simpler, and then they'd overcome it. If you took Vanilla's top raiders, or BC's top raiders, and you showed them modern Mythic raid content, they'd spend quite a bit of time wiping to it and then they'd overcome it.

Now if you're talking about the average heroic raid guild ... I doubt they'd be able to handle any Vanilla content post-Ragnaros. Because boss fights and trash mobs and attunements and everything in Vanilla WoW wasn't just about overcoming mechanics and "lol don't stand in fire / don't move with debuff or you'll blow up raid / lol got debuff run to safe spot" (Not that those didn't exist ... ) It was about who had the sheer force of will to endure the game saying "lol fuck you." at every single turn. Raid content now is designed to give you a nice challenge - You WILL eventually beat the content - Vanilla WoW raid content was designed to make you hate your life. Trash was awful, mechanics despite being simple were a massive pain in the pecker, etc.
    Could you imagine normal/heroic raiding guilds from today doing twin emp / c'thun trash? Lord have mercy haha.