Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Migration is 'poison' for Europe, says Hungary PM

https://www.yahoo.com/news/migration...486.html?nhp=1

Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban during a joint press conference with the Austrian Chancellor, in Budapest on July 26, 2016 (AFP Photo/Peter Kohalmi)
    More

Budapest (AFP) - Hungary's right-wing Prime Minister Viktor Orban on Tuesday described the arrival of asylum seekers in Europe as "a poison", saying his country did not want or need "a single migrant".

"Hungary does not need a single migrant for the economy to work, or the population to sustain itself, or for the country to have a future," he told a joint press conference in Budapest with Austrian Chancellor Christian Kern.

"This is why there is no need for a common European migration policy: whoever needs migrants can take them, but don't force them on us, we don't need them," Orban said.

The populist strongman added that "every single migrant poses a public security and terror risk".

"For us migration is not a solution but a problem... not medicine but a poison, we don't need it and won't swallow it," he said.

Orban is a fierce opponent of the European Union's troubled plan to share migrants across the 28-nation bloc under a mandatory quota system.

Hungary has filed a legal challenge against the proposal and will hold a referendum on its participation in the scheme on October 2.

Hundreds of thousands of migrants and refugees trekked through Hungary and Austria in 2015 as they sought to reach wealthy European nations.

But the flow slowed to a trickle after Orban's government erected razor wire and fences along the southern borders last autumn and brought in tough anti-migrant laws.

However, numbers have been rising again in recent months, reaching almost 18,000 so far this year.

In response Budapest introduced further security measures this month, including the controversial forced return to no-man's land between Hungary and Serbia of any migrant found within eight kilometres (five miles) of the southern border.

- 'We have to assist' -

In early July, Austria promised to send 20 police officers to the Serbian frontier, where around 20 asylum seekers a day are allowed to cross into a border "transit zone" and apply for asylum.

The offer marked a turnaround for Vienna, previously a vocal critic of Hungary's hardline treatment of migrants.

Kern, on his first visit to Hungary since becoming chancellor in May, said migration to Austria and Germany had declined thanks to Hungary's tough measures.

"If we are beneficiaries from this process, then we have to assist it," he said.

But Kern also stressed that nongovernmental aid agencies should be allowed to help people stranded on the Serbian side of the border.

Around 1,400 people are waiting in squalid makeshift camps at the border, according to the UNHCR.

Kern and Orban also discussed the return of migrants from Austria to Hungary, which has been a recent source of tension between the two countries.

After their meeting, Orban said his government was willing to take back from Austria asylum seekers registered as having entered the EU in Hungary.

This affects primarily Balkan migrants, which only make up a small number of those Vienna wants to send back.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    "This is why there is no need for a common European migration policy: whoever needs migrants can take them, but don't force them on us, we don't need them," Orban said.
    ^This. So much this! 1million times this! Honestly, I'm amazed the populace hasn't been more vocal, angry, and violent about the forced immigration.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    ^This. So much this! 1million times this! Honestly, I'm amazed the populace hasn't been more vocal, angry, and violent about the forced immigration.
    Well, seems like some o them are. Can't blame them after this shit going on in France and Germany

Deleted
    'Populist' - a new word in sublime media propaganda, being used in a derogatory context.

I see it cropping up more and more often.

Aren't all politicians in a democracy 'populist' by definition?

Heaven forbid a government does what the people voted for and want them to do...

I mean, if you did what you want without a mandate from the people, doesn't that make a dictatorship? Maybe that's why so many of these people who use populist as a derogatory phrase like the EU.....
    Last edited by mmoc08f8e652d4; 2016-07-26 at 09:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The irony is that Right-wing in western europe claims the samething about eastern european migration. Anyway i wasn't expecting anything else from Orban it's been the same song since the start.

10+ Year Old Account
    And he is right on the matter, if a country does not want them, it's their choice.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

As much as I dislike Orban and his government, they are soooo right in that regard. Such a simple truth, yet so hard to grasp for some.

i've said it almost exactly the same before. europe is welcoming its slow and painful death with open arms.

I don't think the PM was ever a fan.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Orban is a fascist and an idiot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goit View Post
    'Populist' - a new word in sublime media propaganda, being used in a derogatory context.

I see it cropping up more and more often.

Aren't all politicians in a democracy 'populist' by definition?
    You can represent people without needing to resort to the popular opinion. Politicians have pushed through measures that were not seen as popular but eventually paid of. Good politicians know how to utilize that. Also what's popular among one crowd isn't among another and so on.

Populism is not something that is seen as good as the popular opinion is often simplified to the point of a one liner, it produces a simple and wrong solution to a complex multi-layer problem.

Populism is also one of those terms that has multiple definitions depending on what context you use it in.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Feel free to hate on migration. I won't judge if it is good or bad. But it has been a reality forever. Really literally forever since it drove our ancestors out of Africa hundred thousand of years ago. Migration will not go away.
    Don't talk like all migration is the same. I live in California. I see immigrants every day: co-workers, friends, several ex-girlfriends. I know a few illegal immigrants who are here from Mexico. Do I hate any of them? Absolutely not. Why? Because the immigration I deal with doesn't negatively impact my life in a significant way.

However, if immigration was forced on my home in such a way that it did have a sufficiently negative impact on my life, THEN I would hate THAT immigration. I would fight against it. Of course, this can be said for anything that would have a sufficiently negative impact on my life. Context is important when discussing hate. Broad strokes like you used are disingenuous at best.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    You can represent people without needing to resort to the popular opinion. Politicians have pushed through measures that were not seen as popular but eventually paid of. Good politicians know how to utilize that. Also what's popular among one crowd isn't among another and so on.

Populism is not something that is seen as good as the popular opinion is often simplified to the point of a one liner, it produces a simple and wrong solution to a complex multi-layer problem.

Populism is also one of those terms that has multiple definitions depending on what context you use it in.
    Yes, but is increasingly used to shut down legitimate debate. Of course in different contexts it has different implications, the implication in this context is that it is being used to dismiss the legitimate concerns over mass immigration as a 'simpleton populist argument'.

There is representing people and then blatantly defying the will of the people to suit an ulterior agenda.

Well, they shouldn't need to worry. If I was a migrant (and I trust with migrant you mean somebody from a poor country and not a french or britisch guy wanting to migrate to ...say...Germany) I wouldn't want to live in a shithole like Hungary, kek.

I mean...Hungary is in my book free to just take their own stance, quit the EU, open their gates, let all migrants flood to the rest of Europe and deal with their own shitty political and economical situation on their own
    And whats bad about that?

You seem to be offended by the fact that the smaller country's actually have a voice and raise opinions?
    Speaking about Germany and UK like they have a right to anything just because they are richer ........... what a fucked up way of thinking.

Deleted
    As much as I agree that a nation like Hungary probably could be without, they didn't exactly agree when we were opposed to a more free immigration and movement within the EU, exactly because of eastern Europeans. So it is medicine, time to taste your fucking own, hypocrites.

Suddenly people think a politician and especially from Hungary is somebody who needs to be listened too? Were you hanging on the lips of David Cameron or Barak Obama? No, in fact you were making threads how they suck. And now somebody feeds you what you were already believing in and he is the messiah?

Well....what was America founded on? Migration. What was Australia founded on? Migration. What were the Vikings and Columbus? Discoverers who opend the way for migration. Who is cleaning your garbage away and does all the menial jobs that you don't want to do? Migrants.

Feel free to hate on migration. I won't judge if it is good or bad. But it has been a reality forever. Really literally forever since it drove our ancestors out of Africa hundred thousand of years ago. Migration will not go away.
    The founding principles of America are definitely not migration.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goit View Post
    Yes, but is increasingly used to shut down legitimate debate. Of course in different contexts it has different implications, the implication in this context is that it is being used to dismiss the legitimate concerns over mass immigration as a 'simpleton populist argument'.

There is representing people and then blatantly defying the will of the people to suit an ulterior agenda.
    It is then on those holding the debate to ignore it and keep on message. Both sides are guilty of it, which is why i dislike the whole right vs left display some people have while very few people are actually completely left or right when looking over several policies.

That being said, centrum-right is in power in Europe, far right isn't and thank god for that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Orban is a fascist and an idiot.
    And how is he an idiot? I don't know he's beliefs well enough to agree or disagree with you upon him being a fascist, but he looks far from an idiot. Can you elaborate?

Suddenly people think a politician and especially from Hungary is somebody who needs to be listened too? Were you hanging on the lips of David Cameron or Barak Obama? No, in fact you were making threads how they suck. And now somebody feeds you what you were already believing in and he is the messiah?

Well....what was America founded on? Migration. What was Australia founded on? Migration. What were the Vikings and Columbus? Discoverers who opend the way for migration. Who is cleaning your garbage away and does all the menial jobs that you don't want to do? Migrants.

Our migrants in the 1920's typically weren't beheading people in the name of religious jihad

What? Muslim and Afrikan immigration is having such a great effect on Europe! They are a net economic gain!