Time travel paradox

So in Back to the Future 2, in the lightning storm Doc Brown is sent back to 1885. So I've gotta ask if is that since he got there from 1985 does that make 1885 his past or his future?

10+ Year Old Account
    Future. Linear time at least for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris the Shaman View Post
    Future. Linear time at least for him.
    yeah that's what I thought.

Both. He's visiting his past from his future.

Every time travel is brought up it makes me think of this:
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    What if he's just like... sideways in time, man? It's not even a line, it's like a grid and you just kind of head wherever you want. Most people, well most people take the line, but if you just realize it's not a line, like I mean really realize, you can start going all sorts of directions and then it's like front and back what even are those? Just things people made up because they can't handle it.
    a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey whimey stuff right?

Deleted
    back to the future is the greatest film trilogy ever that and lord of the rings

Back to the Future time travel requires not thinking about it very much because it causes paradoxes everywhere.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Deleted
    we can all time travel cos modern cars can go over 88mph all we need is a soda stream ( i mean flux capacitor) and a lucky lightning strike

10+ Year Old Account
    When you drive on a car to a store and back, when you are travelling back, are you going back on your way or forward? Apparently, forward, since your way consists of visiting the store and then going back.

Same here: going back to the past would be future for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

I actually made an account just to answer this.

Basically time is relative and while it's currently impossible to go back in time, the person(s) going back in it would still follow their own timeline and go forward but most importantly, they would increase the level of entropy in the universe.

It's important to know that time isn't the perfect measure of time in the Universe. Time is relative on the grand scale of things and thus shouldn't be used. Entropy isn't, the idea that whatever you do just makes the universe more complex is the ultimate measure of time. Sure you can reduce the local entropy of things but in the end, it still ends up making the universe more complex.

So yeah, if Doc Brown went back in time, he used a massive amount of energy to achieve it thus increasing entropy in 1985. He then went back to 1885 as a time traveler, meaning the entropy level of the universe back then just got more complex because of him suddenly appearing when he shouldn't be, which means the the entropy level of both 1885 and 1985 increased.

Anyways, sorry if it was messy.