Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Faerillis View Post
    Seriously? Literally everyone understands that the Rape Charges are an attempt to give a government who finds him dangerous warrant to arrest him with some air of legitimacy.
    Nope, many people in an echo-chamber thinks that. They basically see Assange as a hero - and since a hero cannot do bad stuff the charges must be phony.

The charges being brought against him have almost no evidence but more than that, in most of the Developed World the charge,
    What matters is the laws in the jurisdiction you are in, claiming that you are Australian and you do things differently there - like driving on the left side will not get you out of jail.

However, in this case we can also say that the internal workings of DNC - of actually wanting a party candidate that is aligned with the party vision and currently is a member of said party - would be perfectly normal in most of the democratic western world and not a sign of something undemocratic; some would even go as stating that having an outsider who was barely a member of the party wanting to become nominee shows a democratic problem (the underlying issue is the 2-party system and what causes that).
    That people focus on the primary-democracy - and not on the democracy-issues of the general election (gerrymandering, new voting laws after SCOTUS removing some barriers this year, etc) just show that people aren't thinking. You don't need any leaks or anything to expose that - it's all in the open, and still ignored.

Grow up a little and you might see the vast amount of important work that Wikileaks has done.
    I have grown up, and I see that it has basically done nothing major - after Manning; and he/she was basically left as a wreck after WikiLeaks.

Instead WikiLeaks disliked the release of Panama Papers (which was vast amount of important work) - and basically claimed it was a US gov't conspiracy.
    Whether that was because too many Russians were found in the Panama papers, and/or because it stole the lime-light from Assange is unclear.

10+ Year Old Account
    What i find interesting is that Nixon was a in world of trouble with Watergate, While Trump openly asking a foreign power to commit a criminal offense on an opponent for the presidential seat is not just seen as justifiable but encouraged.

In 1972, this was political suicide. Now this is seen as a great move, how far the US politics have fallen when this is considered normal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Testaxc View Post
    Ohh you're so naive. If it is indeed the Russians, it's called a PSYOP and its very relevant. Providing the truth to swing things to your goals is the very definition of a PSYOP.

http://www.military.com/ContentFiles...ate_PSYOPS.htm
    So you would rather everything just stay hidden and have less information about the people who are running to lead your nation? OR is it just because the emails could sink your candidates ship? If Trump was hacked and Hillary asked for the emails back would you be just as pissed?

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    What i find interesting is that Nixon was a in world of trouble with Watergate, While Trump openly asking a foreign power to commit a criminal offense on an opponent for the presidential seat is not just seen as justifiable but encouraged.

In 1972, this was political suicide. Now this is seen as a great move, how far the US politics have fallen when this is considered normal.
    Yes. It is very concerning that this concept of ignoring all the rules is spreading.
    I don't know if something has truly changed, or that people are just stunned in disbelief by the audacity of promoting crimes. I'm not sure what I find most frightening.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Not at all. It's very simple.

The opinion of Western intelligence groups, public and private is that Russia hacked the DNC and fed the data to Wikileaks.

Today Donald Trump asked Russia publicly to hack Hillary Clinton in order to help him win the election.

If you (anyone) supports Trump at this point, you are siding with Vladmir Putin against the United States. This isn't Democrat versus Republican. This is America versus Russia.

It's as clear cut as that. There is no grey area. There is no exceptions. No explanations. Donald Trump is on the record. Western Intelligence has come to it's conclusions. This is as basic as things get.

Vladmir Putin has been doing this very thing across all of Europe for years. He's now doing it in the US. It is either condemned, then rejected, or it is ignored because some people have their head so far up their ass with respect to disliking Hillary Clinton, they'll sully themselves by siding with one of this country's greatest modern enemies.
    He did NOT ask Russia to hack her. He asked them to hand over any emails they may already have that Crooked Hillary scrubbed from her server before handing it over. Also he didnt ask for them to give the emails to him, he told them to give them to our media.

Never once did I hear Trump say, Please Russia, do everything you can to try and hack into Hillary Clinton's computers systems and give me all the data from them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Let me know when clinton actually shoots someone then.

And if we're talking about not words, but actual criminal actions, get back to me when both hillary gets indicted for something, and trump isn't actively being prosecuted for fraud.
    He is NOT being prosecuted for fraud. He is being sued in a civil lawsuit

- - - Updated - - -

I wish Assange would hurry the hell up and release all this new information. This morning would be a perfect time since tonight is Crooked Hillary's speech

- - - Updated - - -

There's a few things which could happen. I actually want to start with the last line of what you wrote though, as it will inform the rest.

The Republican Party is a mess because it has made deals with the devil for far too many years. Racists. The far right. The Tea Party. It has invited people into the fold who label themselves conservatives who plainly are not, in order to win, while alienating millions of people who would otherwise be conservative. The Republican party must be a center-right party. Not a right. not a hard right. Center right. This is a country of of moderate center-right voters largely, but the Democrat Party, by voters rolls, is about 40% larger than the Republican one. The only way Republicans win is by mobilizing the base and recruiting independents. The Republican Party, the last two Presidential elections, wrote off independents despite Bush working very hard to win them. And it is doing it a third time.
    Bullshit. They tried that the last 2 times with McCain and Romney. They were both RINOs and almost left of center

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Yes. It is very concerning that this concept of ignoring all the rules is spreading.
    I don't know if something has truly changed, or that people are just stunned in disbelief by the audacity of promoting crimes. I'm not sure what I find most frightening.
    People believe by voting anti-political they are voting in their own favor as the establishment is broken and does not yield the wanted results. They believe by following rules they are doing what the establishment want and so they applaud these actions for that reason. It's not hard to understand this train of thought, however what is ironic is that while they are so for a more libertarian candidate that cares little for rules they are in fact supporting one that is more authoritarian then would appear on the surface.

And honestly it's not just an american thing, although it being the country of extremes things like that do appear more obvious. Europe also has seen a rise of people voting anti-political and intellectual. Luckily we in Europe do have some sort of answer in terms of other political candidates and parties, something the US seems to lack.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Master of Coins View Post
    Shouldn't have blind trust in the establishment either, especially where Europe is concerned there is a lot of excessive bureaucracy, inefficiency and obsession with equality quotas and regulations to the point that it's strangling the will and desire of businesses to create jobs and innovation in the market. That is not to say that corporations are saints and shouldn't be regulated up to a point either. But european governments are extremely inefficient, too big and show little results by clinging unto austerity for three decades now without any progress in sight.

The more I look at it the more West-Europe (France, UK & Germany) is slowly turning into the same defunct mess as East-Europe. I can tell you that in one of the largest government buildings of the country in Belgium over the past year, the electricity went out multiple days in a row, the plumbing is broken and entire floors are 'out of order' because of it, and that absurd bureaucratic rules has them dumping and spending money on useless nonsense. (Throwing into the trash thousands of perfectly functioning PCs, who are only used for typewriting, because 'they've been written off' over 2 years and by regulations need replaced. Not to mention the absurd luxury and money that is spend on food and drinks for higher management).
    I find your tone to be a tad to over dramatic honestly. Efficiency has got to go up and those things are actually happening, slowly. We are far from eastern europe however in terms of what you claim, a lot of this what you speak of is a problem build in democracy as we know it.

To improve this and fix the problems you speak of long term plans and investments have to be made, those things are costs. Costs no government in times of economic downturn want to adres since the rewards it will give out won't be reaped by those in power now but by those in power 10 years from now. As for Belgium in particular it's a bit more complicated then merely too much bureaucracy, although we do have too many voices regarding certain government run branches that makes things such as public transport too much about party politics, but if you're from around here you know this and you also know that slimming these branches down has been on ongoing project of the current government and is often met with a lot of resistance.

Regarding infrastructure and such, i believe too many hands are still being fed with certain contracts being handed out to favorable partners. And trust me i know all about a lot of things that are only half done and it took years for our taxes to be turned into a digital process but is is happening and yes, there are still major blunders such as the turtel tax from Open VLD. It's just that with everything Belgian you simply don't just have Left against Right, you also have South against North adding just that extra layer of complexity that is unneeded in my eyes.

European governments will always be less efficient then Chinese ones for example that's simply because they are democratic, it's a biproduct we'll never be able to get past. But we are nowhere near the level of Eastern Europe and i doubt we'll ever get to such kafka'esque stories. I do understand the frustration considering the high amount of taxes we pay, but as i said before your tone is a bit to overdramatic for me personally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Our nuclear rival hacking to interfere in our election to benefit the one candidate who speaks nicely about Russia AND in turn encourages Russia to continue to hack, is new and a danger to international security. And is much more important. Because it means that no election, anywhere in the west, is safe from this or worse. It is a fundamental assault on Democracy.
    Here, here.

Just to be crystal clear about what transpired yesterday.

The GOP nominee for the President of the United States of America gave his tacit endorsement for foreign state actors (Russia no less) to engage in espionage for the express purpose of damaging his political rival.

It boggles the mind that some so called conservatives around here are trying to pass it off with hand waving. I don't particularly care for Secretary Clinton all that much to begin with, but I find it fascinating that self professed American patriots are so willing to watch their false champion blow a Slavic despot's cock when she is involved.
    Last edited by Fahrenheit; 2016-07-29 at 12:04 AM.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    Here, here.

Just to be crystal clear about what transpired yesterday.

The GOP nominee for the President of the United States of America gave his tacit endorsement for forgone state actors (Russia no less) to engage in espionage for the express purpose of damaging his political rival.

It boggles be mid that some so called conservatives around her are trying to pass it off with hand waving. I don't particularly care for Secretary Clinton all that much to begin with, but I find it fascinating that self professed American patriots are so willing to watch their glass champion blow a Slavic despot's cock when she is involved.
    Put another way, can you imagine the hissy fit that would happen if Hillary called on China to release Trumps tax returns?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Where I come from we have an expression that goes "Either shit or get off the pot." I am by no means a Hillary supporter at all, not even a little bit. Hell, any person with two brain cells to rub together can tell you she is just another crooked politician. However, unless you have some truly damning evidence then shut the fuck up and quit clogging up my nightly news feeds.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Put another way, can you imagine the hissy fit that would happen if Hillary called on China to release Trumps tax returns?
    You quoted me before I could correct my errors!

I could. But after the ridiculous kangaroo court at the RNC, what more would they want to do? Hang her for treason I presume.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

. . . I don't think you know many real life progressives. I do. I live in Massachusetts. I'm surrounded by them. I go to work with them. I'm friend with them. They are very very liberal and very political.

And they have not one ounce of hate in their hearts.

What kind of cartoon character liberal are you talking about? Some ridiculous monkey on Twitter or a blog? Those are a minority of people. That's like saying Rick Santorum is all conservatives. He's not. Progressives are every day Americans, brothers and sisters, to us all. Hell my brother and his wife are very liberal. It's the way things are. They aren't our enemies. They're our political opposites. We both win. We both lose. It is fair. Their political agenda is every bit as legitimate as ours.

I don't want conservatives to run away and hide. I want us to stand up and fight. I want us to push back against the progressive agenda. But nothing you have said is conservative. Nothing Donald Trump stands for is conservative. And Donald Trump is not the figure to fight for conservationism. I'll say it again: who is more about family, which is the very heart of progressivism, Donald Trump and his wives and his Children who seem to barely know him, or what Democrats have been displaying all week? Hell for the relgiously minded, Democrats have talked a hell of a lot more about God lately than Republicans have.

You're trying to fight progressives in a stupid fight and one you're going to lose and destroy yourself in the process. The thing is, conservatives like me, in the likely event that your guy loses, are never going to let you guys back in. It will be better to be the minority party for years to come, without your support, than to sully ourselves by signing up to the anti-Democratic alternative you have flocked to in a desperate attempt to not lose what would otherwise be a mostly meaningless election.

Conservativism will survive President Hillary, period. A period of reflection may even make it thrive.
    Thank you for writing this. If anything, a President Trump would destroy conservatism a lot faster and substantially more effectively than President Hillary ever could (she would be called President Hillary and not President Clinton?). If America is to continue being a first world nation, we most definitely DO need to ... hate each other a lot less. And we need to get over our differences and deal with the pain compromise entails.

The biggest winners of a divided US are China, India and Russia. Some of our power might go to Germany as well, depending upon how they fare in Europe. Any power vacuums that exist as we descend out of the top spot will be quickly filled by others.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    Thank you for writing this. If anything, a President Trump would destroy conservatism a lot faster and substantially more effectively than President Hillary ever could (she would be called President Hillary and not President Clinton?). If America is to continue being a first world nation, we most definitely DO need to ... hate each other a lot less. And we need to get over our differences and deal with the pain compromise entails.

The biggest winners of a divided US are China, India and Russia. Some of our power might go to Germany as well, depending upon how they fare in Europe. Any power vacuums that exist as we descend out of the top spot will be quickly filled by others.
    Listen, both of the runners are messed up. The thing with Trump is that he will keep everything inside your borders. AKA you might suffer, but it will be just you.
    With Clinton you are putting a super hawk on charge of world's biggest army which will mean that the rest of the planet will suffer with you.

This is how i see it personally. If i had to pick from those two i would pick Trump because my point of reference is always peace whenever i think of geopolitics or EP/FP. Clinton from the other hand, LEGIT scares me.

I might be wrong, i am not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    Can someone give this guy the Pulitzer award already!?!?!
    personally, I kind of love the "blame it on the russians" part. Takes me back to when the cold war was actually a real thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    Listen, both of the runners are messed up. The thing with Trump is that he will keep everything inside your borders. AKA you might suffer, but it will be just you.
    With Clinton you are putting a super hawk on charge of world's biggest army which will mean that the rest of the planet will suffer with you.

This is how i see it personally. If i had to pick from those two i would pick Trump because my point of reference is always peace whenever i think of geopolitics or EP/FP. Clinton from the other hand, LEGIT scares me.

I might be wrong, i am not sure.
    Don't confuse Trump's mutual admiration with dictators and authoritarians like Emperor Kim of Korea or Russia's neo-Czar Putin for actual pacifism - the guy who can't stop drooling at the idea of a short victorious war against the Islamic State (and murdering women and children in the process), and who keeps reflexively spouting "take their lebensraum oil", repeatedly advocates solving disagreements by violence and who threatens war against countries that don't "respect" the US is just as much a chickenhawk as Clinton, he's just an ignorant, unstable, grossly incompetent and bloodthirsty one.

If you want actual abandonment of the empire, try to get Gary Johnson into the White House (not that it has a chance in hell, sadly).
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Conservativism will survive President Hillary, period. A period of reflection may even make it thrive.
    Has it been weird watching the DNC spend the last 4 days chocking the GOP to death with a rolled up flag?

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Has it been weird watching the DNC spend the last 4 days chocking the GOP to death with a rolled up flag?
    I've loved every minute of it. Weird? On the contrary I'd help them roll up the flag to do it. I loved and agreed with so many of the speeches in character, not not necessarily in policy. The party of family, the party of American patriotism, of American opportunity, in this moment in time, is the Democratic Party, and they are performing a national service protecting this country against an anti-democratic threat.

I am a conservative. At one time I was a Republican. I probably will be again. But right now, I'm all for Hillary because I love my country a hell of a lot more than I love winning a few mostly pointless political fights with progressives.

Really the Trumpists entire thesis is the absurd. Let's say they win and they defeat Hillary. There will be a Democratic "libtard" (as they call them) President again. And a Democratic House and Senate. And they will appoint supreme court justices. That is the nature of things. That is fair. Power moves around over time. That is the normal American political process. There is no such thing as the final victory for the Right anymore than there is the final victory for the Left. You only win the victory for the next couple of years.

Selling America's soul out to defeat Hillary Clinton is absurd. She can't do anything, especially with a probably Republican House still in power, that will be what the Trumpists think. They have gotten themselves so worked up over it all - willingly at this point mind you - that their apocalyptic terms with respect to the otherwise routine order of politics is both anti-conservative and anti-American.

Real conservatives will hold their nose and vote for Hillary Clinton, because she represents not the Democrats, but Americanism, in opposition to Trump importing what amounts to Putinism into our country.

Weird? My beliefs are dearly held, but I do not fear what my liberal nenighbors, co-workers, brother and friends will do with their victory, because in the end, even though we disagree, they represent a profoundly and entirely legitimate American character to their politics. And moreover, with enough work and time, my side will win some fights down the line. And we will do that tango until the end of our days, as is right and fair and just.

Donald Trump and the Trumpists? If the Democratic National Convention's speakers and Trumps own words the last two weeks... hell the twelve months, haven't made it clear enough, wouldn't know what the American character is if it slapped him in the face, as the parents of Capt. Humayun Khan did tonight, their family again performing another national service.

Trump and the Trumpists should be on their knees after that. Instead, we get what Anne Coulter said on Twitter, which just furthers the need to utterly and bitterly defeat these extremists, and throw them out of the next iteration of the Republican Party.

I will say, its nice to see the DNC finally comfortable with full throated patriotism without it getting gross like it often does when the GOP engages in it. Not that I mean to imply they were lacking in love of country in earlier years, but the GOP going full pessimism has opened up a lot of space.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I will say, its nice to see the DNC finally comfortable with full throated patriotism without it getting gross like it often does when the GOP engages in it. Not that I mean to imply they were lacking in love of country in earlier years, but the GOP going full pessimism has opened up a lot of space.
    Well the "No More War" crowd at the DNC hatted Allen's speech. But the truth is, if the Democrats can net in pro-military political moderates, they're worth a lot more to them than the Code Pink crowd. Just in terms of numbers. The way to win in a center-right country is not to be move leftward.

15+ Year Old Account
    . . . I don't think you know many real life progressives. I do. I live in Massachusetts. I'm surrounded by them. I go to work with them. I'm friend with them. They are very very liberal and very political.

And they have not one ounce of hate in their hearts.

What kind of cartoon character liberal are you talking about? Some ridiculous monkey on Twitter or a blog? Those are a minority of people. That's like saying Rick Santorum is all conservatives. He's not. Progressives are every day Americans, brothers and sisters, to us all. Hell my brother and his wife are very liberal. It's the way things are. They aren't our enemies. They're our political opposites. We both win. We both lose. It is fair. Their political agenda is every bit as legitimate as ours.

I don't want conservatives to run away and hide. I want us to stand up and fight. I want us to push back against the progressive agenda. But nothing you have said is conservative. Nothing Donald Trump stands for is conservative. And Donald Trump is not the figure to fight for conservationism. I'll say it again: who is more about family, which is the very heart of progressivism, Donald Trump and his wives and his Children who seem to barely know him, or what Democrats have been displaying all week? Hell for the religiously minded, Democrats have talked a hell of a lot more about God lately than Republicans have.

You're trying to fight progressives in a stupid fight and one you're going to lose and destroy yourself in the process. The thing is, conservatives like me, in the likely event that your guy loses, are never going to let you guys back in. It will be better to be the minority party for years to come, without your support, than to sully ourselves by signing up to the anti-Democratic alternative you have flocked to in a desperate attempt to not lose what would otherwise be a mostly meaningless election.

Always one of the most refreshing and enlightened conservatives to read on this forum.

For as much as these Trump supporters deny being fascists, I'm not sure I've ever seen more calls to jail political opponents for flimsy reasons. I've always viewed conservatives as political opponents, and foreign powers as enemies. Now we have Trump making friends with foreign powers we regard as enemies to work against domestic political rivals. If that's not a fascist, I don't know what is.

I've always been able to keep my rivals and my enemies separate. It's unfortunate, but I've had to distance myself from several people I once considered friendly rivals because they've gone full retard on the Trump train as well.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2016-07-29 at 08:03 AM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"