Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    because in most States (I think there are two that do it differently)
    There are two states (Maine and Nebraska) that can split their electoral votes instead of a 'winner take all'.

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    There are two states (Maine and Nebraska) that can split their electoral votes instead of a 'winner take all'.
    Yeah, I couldn't remember. Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Actually lawyers can and often do get sued for not defending their client to the best of their ability. She also requested to be removed from the case but was refused.
    Also if you are asked by the court to represent someone.... you better fucking represent them unless you have a compelling reason not to.

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but it looks like Trump's own family are making sure that 2005 tape and the controversy it caused stays fresh in peoples minds with about two weeks till the election.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/21/politi...facts-of-life/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Is she at all considered a prodigy?
    Well...yes, she's actually at the top of her class in both reading and math. We're all very proud.

Anyhow: Pennsylvania's electoral college votes are NOT proportional.1 million won't outweigh 9 million. End of story.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    I'm more hoping he cites a source for his claim that the rural population outnumbers the urban one, just for my own morbid curiosity.
    It honestly wouldn't matter if he did. See above.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    It honestly wouldn't matter if he did. See above.
    Hence 'morbid curiosity'.
    It is irrelevant, as electors are awarded by state popular vote anyway, I'm just curious for my own interest as to what sort of citation would get produced for something that hasn't been remotely true for decades.

Poll: Clinton, Trump tied nationally

Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump are in a dead heat just two weeks before the presidential election, a poll released Monday shows.

The Investor's Business Daily/TechnoMetrica Market Intelligence Tracking Poll -- once called the the most accurate poll of the 2012 election by pollster Nate Silver -- gives both Clinton and Trump 41 percent support apiece in a four-way race.

Libertarian nominee Gary Johnson has 8 percent support while Jill Stein of the Green Party has 3 percent.

In a two-way race with no third-party candidates included, Trump and Clinton have 42 percent support each.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Actually lawyers can and often do get sued for not defending their client to the best of their ability. She also requested to be removed from the case but was refused.
    Yes, those are the lawyers who take on a case and do a shitty job. But lawyers cannot be sued for refusing to take a case, unless its a public defender but thats because they are employed by the government, and only poor people qualify for public defenders

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    If they had any ethics they wouldnt. If you know your client is guilty you should refuse to represent them. There is no law requiring that they are represented. The only law is that they have the right to have an attorney if they so choose. Its up to them to find that attorney, and if they cant or dont, then tough shit
    That's not how that works.

A defence attorney is supposed to remain impartial and act in good faith of their client, regardless of their personal feelings on the matter. If a client is pissing you off enough that you cannot rmeain impartial, or if the basis of your defence turns out to be a lie, then you have an ethical obligation to get yourself removed from the case [which hillary attempted to do.] However, you can't just go "Yeah, I think you'r a scumbag. No lawyer for you, enjoy jail."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump are in a dead heat just two weeks before the presidential election, a poll released Monday shows.
    Interesting. Neither campaign thinks it's over until it's over, and one of them not even then.

However, while IBD/TIPP was the most accurate -- someone had to be -- this does not outweigh the need for aggregate polling. Of which, this should be part.

Other polls that were accurate for the 2012 election:
    CNN
    Reuters
    YouGov
    Quinnipiac
    Google Consumer Surveys

I don't have anything from that last one, but Clinton is up by a sizeable lead in the others.

Of course, it's the EC votes that matter. It's been a while since I've seen any EC map that looked even remotely favorable for Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy shit, is Oorlong arguing that the 6th ammendment doesn't apply to everyone??

I mean, even for a chatacter that's a bit much...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Holy shit, is Oorlong arguing that the 6th ammendment doesn't apply to everyone??

He has a legit gripe about New York State, where the city has the slim majority of the population and demographics do the rest. But that's 11 mil urban to 9 mil rural. His comments about Pennsylvania are not just wrong, they're disastrously wrong.

Of course, it's the EC votes that matter. It's been a while since I've seen any EC map that looked even remotely favorable for Trump.
    This is technically true, but a bit of a misnomer - when projecting the election, we're still generally better off looking at national aggregates because of their frequency and responsiveness. In a hypothetical situation where Clinton had some Halloween surprise that cost her ~5% in the national polls, the election would essentially be a toss-up even if the local effects hadn't been measured yet. As a generality, states move with national polls off of some local baseline R-D relationship; there are a couple funky oddities (Utah is the weirdest this time), but most of the time national results will be sufficient to predict individual states.

That said, a number of states that Trump would absolutely need are quite blue-leaning in the most recent polls and this remains true when looking at models such as 538's that incorporate national data into state-level results.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyph View Post
    That's not how that works.

A defence attorney is supposed to remain impartial and act in good faith of their client, regardless of their personal feelings on the matter. If a client is pissing you off enough that you cannot rmeain impartial, or if the basis of your defence turns out to be a lie, then you have an ethical obligation to get yourself removed from the case [which hillary attempted to do.] However, you can't just go "Yeah, I think you'r a scumbag. No lawyer for you, enjoy jail."
    Well, not impartial, as the fact they are an attorney for one side negates that. They're supposed to do the best for the client and do everything legally possible for them. They're impartial to morality, which describes the entire legal system. (I'm not saying defense attorneys are immoral, I'm saying that the justice system is amoral, which is not a good or bad thing, it just is)
    Last edited by Noxx79; 2016-10-24 at 01:55 PM.

Interesting. Neither campaign thinks it's over until it's over, and one of them not even then.

However, while IBD/TIPP was the most accurate -- someone had to be -- this does not outweigh the need for aggregate polling. Of which, this should be part.
    While I would agree, it illustrates the fact that she's always been a crappy candidate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    While I would agree, it illustrates the fact that she's always been a crappy candidate.
    What do the polls that have her leading by double digits say? Because there are some of those, too.

What do the polls that have her leading by double digits say? Because there are some of those, too.
    well obviously those a #bigly #rigged and #WRONG!

The typical...people aren't voting for her as much as they are voting against Trump...

And that's why this race is about shit sandwiches.
    We're not voting for someone, we're voting against someone.

He has a legit gripe about New York State, where the city has the slim majority of the population and demographics do the rest. But that's 11 mil urban to 9 mil rural. His comments about Pennsylvania are not just wrong, they're disastrously wrong.
    Some time back I went digging up demographic data out of curiosity and while I do not have the numbers on hand, I recall finding that in around half the states, one urban area outnumbers the rest of the voters. Pennsylvania, however, is definitely not one of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post

I didnt say it doesnt apply to everyone. Having money to pay for a lawyer but not being able to find a lawyer willing to represent you isnt a violation of the 6th amendment. A violation of the 6th amendment would be to say someone is not allowed to have a lawyer. The government is only required to provide one if you are unable to afford a lawyer. In fact its part of the Miranda rights that are read to you. "You have the right to an attorney, If you can not afford one, one will be provided for you" It doesnt say we will give you one if your crime was so reprehensible that nobody is willing to take you on as a client, nor does it say that once a person passes the bar exam, that they must take on every client that requests them to.