http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/16/opinio...r-vox-opinion/

Trump's appearance on Dr. Oz has blown Clinton out the water

Ford Vox is a physician specializing in rehabilitation medicine and a journalist. He is a medical analyst for NPR station WABE-FM 90.1 in Atlanta. He writes frequently for CNN Opinion. Follow him on Twitter @FordVox. The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of the author.

Donald Trump's decision to deliver his long-hyped health records release on Dr. Oz's show is as strange as everything else about this election. Yet, much like the key decisions that made him the Republican nominee, Trump's play was crazy like a fox.

The week began with Hillary Clinton's near-collapse while trying to make an early exit out of a Sunday morning New York City 9/11 memorial. The dramatic video has now been viewed by essentially every potential voter. Trump seized on this by delivering his health record release in the wobble's wake. It's brilliant.
    Clinton clinched every narrative about her propensity for secrecy and information control by bungling her pneumonia disclosure. We went from learning she was overheated, to fainting, to fighting an infection over the course of a single day. That day concluded with Clinton's personal physician Dr. Bardack issuing a sparse statement about diagnosing pneumonia 48 hours prior.
    It took until Tuesday for the Clinton campaign to address the wave of questions Dr. Bardack's limited Sunday statement generated. They allowed one news cycle to needlessly precipitate another. We didn't know about the type or extent of Clinton's pneumonia until Dr. Bardack finally told us it took a CT scan (rather than a less-sensitive X-ray) to diagnose it, and that the pneumonia only affected one of the three lobes of Clinton's right lung.
    Trump on 'Dr. Oz': I don't want to switch doctors

Trump on 'Dr. Oz': I don't want to switch doctors 01:13
    The detailed clinical history Dr. Bardack supplied yesterday delivers strong reassurance that Ms. Clinton's diagnosis isn't a part of any larger medical issue. The story is classic. I think it lays to rest concerns that Clinton's near-fainting spell had any more serious origins whatsoever. That doesn't mean the "healthers" dogging Secretary Clinton won't quit making their off-kilter case that she's suffering from a neurodegenerative condition, reminiscent of the birthers (including Trump himself) who still chant into the desert winds about the President's birthplace to this very day.
    But Trump's well-timed appearance on "The Dr. Oz Show," beloved by local stations for its "tremendous multiplatform sales and marketing opportunities," blew the Clinton campaign's continuing mop-up job out of the water with the kind of sheer spectacle Trump builds professionally.
    Dr. Oz is not exactly the blue-ribbon panel that I and other commentators have recommended our chief executive candidates submit their medical records to. He's certainly a duly licensed physician, well regarded at his academic medical center, but his show has rightly come under severe scrutiny for the vital oxygen it channels to quacky health cure-alls, like the green coffee bean.
    Dr. Oz's latest bean is orange and shaped like Donald Trump. But unlike some of the other shady sales jobs this most unusual cardiothoracic surgeon has made in the past, this time Dr. Oz pulled it off. I actually sat and watched the whole thing, and I was unexpectedly awed as Mehmet Oz connected with his subject and actually got this frenetic force of nature to calm down and focus for much of the time, rather than rattle off his usual mix of rote campaign attacks and tangential non sequiturs. Dr. Oz earns some journalistic stripes for this feat alone.
    What's more, Trump delivered the goods, more or less. With his usual dramatic flair, Trump handed over Dr. Bornstein's latest one-pager (accompanied oddly by a reappointment notice from Lenox Hill Hospital).
    Dr. Bornstein clearly learned some lessons, spending more than five minutes to cull together some actual data. Gone were the superfluous superlatives and instead the concise document packed meat. A litany of commonly ordered preventative medicine labs were supplied, every one of them with a normal number. The sole abnormality is his patient's height/weight ratio, aka his BMI. Donald Trump is almost obese. He's at the top end of overweight with a BMI of 29.5 (30 would make him obese).
    Video shows Clinton stumble leaving 9/11 event

Video shows Clinton stumble leaving 9/11 event 02:41
    Dr. Bornstein didn't talk about this fact at all in his letter, but Dr. Oz caught it and asked a series of appropriate questions. Trump doesn't exercise. He famously doesn't eat right. He knows he should do better. He says he's always been overweight. He came off as genuine and probably only further endeared himself to a wide swath of voters. Like Trump, most of us are overweight. Only half of us even claim to work out the minimum amount we need.
    Mrs. Clinton, by contrast, eats an ideal diet "rich in lean protein, vegetables and fruits" and regularly does "yoga, swimming, walking and weight training" for her exercise regimen. Tsk tsk. What country is she running to lead, Denmark?
    Trump's personal health wisdom, by contrast, includes dutifully wearing his hat while golfing and delivering his gesture-heavy speeches in "sauna"-like venues, he told Dr. Oz.
    Follow CNN Opinion

Join us on Twitter and Facebook
    Despite stepping it up a notch, Dr. Bornstein still managed not to say his patient has a diagnosis of high cholesterol, a diagnosis we can piece together only through Trump confiding in Dr. Oz that he's tried two prior statin drugs and only the latest has done the trick. Bornstein also doesn't explain why his patient bothered to have an echocardiogram, even if the results proved normal. That's not a typical screening test.
    A couple of moments proved creepy to me, like seeing this racially and culturally insensitive candidate invoke and credit the genetic profile he inherited from his Scottish ancestors for his good health. When Dr. Oz asked Trump what he saw in the mirror, Trump replied that his 35-year-old self stood there beaming back at him. Coming from one of the most narcissistic people in public life today, I suspect the candidate is quite genuine in this answer.
    But put it all together and the appearance was a win for both Mehmet Oz and Donald Trump. Oz got a 48-hour cycle of worldwide hype for his show, and delivered a truly compelling product. Trump dragged out Hillary's painful misstep from Sunday, and connected with Dr. Oz's mostly female daytime audience calmly and comfortably. Both candidates are healthy enough to serve as our chief executive. But only one of them has proved that to the voters.

- - - Updated - - -

Trump has played the media like a fined tuned instrument , and the media had no idea. Hillary comes off as secretive, nasty and bitter. She is not inspiring the Dems to vote, more like she is driving them away to Johnson.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    It is, of course, because you disagree with it. Hillary changes her opinions quite often; to think that she is the same person as she was during Benghazi attack, would be ridiculous.
    She will say what she has to in order to get a vote. Thats not very inspiring to the voting public. Whats laughable is now Obama stumping for Hillary , and Obamas own campaign words when he ran against her are coming back to be used against her. The voters are not falling for it
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

10+ Year Old Account
    It'd make me more likely to vote for Clinton if she actually were in bad health. With any luck, she steps down in year two and milquetoast Kaine takes over. Best of both worlds. Just a little bit of Clinton and no Trump.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    It'd make me more likely to vote for Clinton if she actually were in bad health. With any luck, she steps down in year two and milquetoast Kaine takes over. Best of both worlds. Just a little bit of Clinton and no Trump.
    Serious question, why do you think he's any better?

Kaine was head of the DNC whose replacement rigged the primary for Clinton, who he's now running as vice president for? Certainly no impropriety there!

Is it his affinity for quid pro quo that makes him more desirable? The only good politician is the one we KNOW is paid off?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    Serious question, why do you think he's any better?

Kaine was head of the DNC whose replacement rigged the primary for Clinton, who he's now running as vice president for? Certainly no impropriety there!

Is it his affinity for quid pro quo that makes him more desirable? The only good politician is the one we KNOW is paid off?
    I actually think Clinton would be a decent president. But she has such a history, and there is such animosity for her on the right, she's going to come in with essentially no good will. It's going to be combative from the start.
    I think Kaine is so boring and frankly banal he'd wouldn't breed the immediate overwhelming hate.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    She will say what she has to in order to get a vote. Thats not very inspiring to the voting public. Whats laughable is now Obama stumping for Hillary , and Obamas own campaign words when he ran against her are coming back to be used against her. The voters are not falling for it
    Unless you can mind-read people, this is just a conspiracy theory.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Unless you can mind-read people, this is just a conspiracy theory.
    Conspiracy theory to the sheep. Common sense to anyone with a brain.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...?

10+ Year Old Account

An odd comment coming from someone who tries to promote Right Wing scandals as truth without any evidence to back up his claims. I mean if you're going to argue that mind-reading is something that falls under common sense....I have a bridge to sell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    I mean if you're going to argue that mind-reading is something that falls under common sense....I have a bridge to sell you.
    No you don't. I know this because I can read your mind.

I've noticed. Having too much time on your hands tends to do that to people.
    In my case its more from having a device in my hand too much.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    No you don't. I know this because I can read your mind.
    Dammit Edge....get out of my head!

10+ Year Old Account

No, I am sorry, telling people to stop being sheep, because they don't agree with you is an oxymoron.

- - - Updated - - -

For fucks sake... Don't want to be a sheep? Go around telling everyone Hillary and Trump is the greatest candidate duo. If the only goal is to not be a sheep, there you have your ultimate Cuckoo ideology. Fuck merits, you ain't no sheep...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    She will say what she has to in order to get a vote.
    That's literally what you want in a democratically elected representative, so long as they follow through on their promises, and she consistently has. So this isn't the mark against her you think it is.

Someone who sticks to their unpopular guns is going to have a pretty short and unsuccessful career in politics, not to mention it demonstrates a rigidity of thinking that's fundamentally flawed at its core.

Simply proclaiming that people who don't believe in your nonsense to be sheep is not actually an argument for the truth of your nonsense.

If anything it basically just says that you can't actually support it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's literally what you want in a democratically elected representative, so long as they follow through on their promises, and she consistently has. So this isn't the mark against her you think it is.

Someone who sticks to their unpopular guns is going to have a pretty short and unsuccessful career in politics, not to mention it demonstrates a rigidity of thinking that's fundamentally flawed at its core.
    The only "guns" she's sticking to are the ones throwing billions of dollars at her, while still claiming to be in favor of everything at all times depending on the audience.

Surely adults don't believe in these political fairy tales.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/16/opinio...r-vox-opinion/

Trump's appearance on Dr. Oz has blown Clinton out the water

Ford Vox is a physician specializing in rehabilitation medicine and a journalist. He is a medical analyst for NPR station WABE-FM 90.1 in Atlanta. He writes frequently for CNN Opinion. Follow him on Twitter @FordVox. The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of the author.

Donald Trump's decision to deliver his long-hyped health records release on Dr. Oz's show is as strange as everything else about this election. Yet, much like the key decisions that made him the Republican nominee, Trump's play was crazy like a fox.

The week began with Hillary Clinton's near-collapse while trying to make an early exit out of a Sunday morning New York City 9/11 memorial. The dramatic video has now been viewed by essentially every potential voter. Trump seized on this by delivering his health record release in the wobble's wake. It's brilliant.
    Clinton clinched every narrative about her propensity for secrecy and information control by bungling her pneumonia disclosure. We went from learning she was overheated, to fainting, to fighting an infection over the course of a single day. That day concluded with Clinton's personal physician Dr. Bardack issuing a sparse statement about diagnosing pneumonia 48 hours prior.
    It took until Tuesday for the Clinton campaign to address the wave of questions Dr. Bardack's limited Sunday statement generated. They allowed one news cycle to needlessly precipitate another. We didn't know about the type or extent of Clinton's pneumonia until Dr. Bardack finally told us it took a CT scan (rather than a less-sensitive X-ray) to diagnose it, and that the pneumonia only affected one of the three lobes of Clinton's right lung.
    Trump on 'Dr. Oz': I don't want to switch doctors

Trump on 'Dr. Oz': I don't want to switch doctors 01:13
    The detailed clinical history Dr. Bardack supplied yesterday delivers strong reassurance that Ms. Clinton's diagnosis isn't a part of any larger medical issue. The story is classic. I think it lays to rest concerns that Clinton's near-fainting spell had any more serious origins whatsoever. That doesn't mean the "healthers" dogging Secretary Clinton won't quit making their off-kilter case that she's suffering from a neurodegenerative condition, reminiscent of the birthers (including Trump himself) who still chant into the desert winds about the President's birthplace to this very day.
    But Trump's well-timed appearance on "The Dr. Oz Show," beloved by local stations for its "tremendous multiplatform sales and marketing opportunities," blew the Clinton campaign's continuing mop-up job out of the water with the kind of sheer spectacle Trump builds professionally.
    Dr. Oz is not exactly the blue-ribbon panel that I and other commentators have recommended our chief executive candidates submit their medical records to. He's certainly a duly licensed physician, well regarded at his academic medical center, but his show has rightly come under severe scrutiny for the vital oxygen it channels to quacky health cure-alls, like the green coffee bean.
    Dr. Oz's latest bean is orange and shaped like Donald Trump. But unlike some of the other shady sales jobs this most unusual cardiothoracic surgeon has made in the past, this time Dr. Oz pulled it off. I actually sat and watched the whole thing, and I was unexpectedly awed as Mehmet Oz connected with his subject and actually got this frenetic force of nature to calm down and focus for much of the time, rather than rattle off his usual mix of rote campaign attacks and tangential non sequiturs. Dr. Oz earns some journalistic stripes for this feat alone.
    What's more, Trump delivered the goods, more or less. With his usual dramatic flair, Trump handed over Dr. Bornstein's latest one-pager (accompanied oddly by a reappointment notice from Lenox Hill Hospital).
    Dr. Bornstein clearly learned some lessons, spending more than five minutes to cull together some actual data. Gone were the superfluous superlatives and instead the concise document packed meat. A litany of commonly ordered preventative medicine labs were supplied, every one of them with a normal number. The sole abnormality is his patient's height/weight ratio, aka his BMI. Donald Trump is almost obese. He's at the top end of overweight with a BMI of 29.5 (30 would make him obese).
    Video shows Clinton stumble leaving 9/11 event

Video shows Clinton stumble leaving 9/11 event 02:41
    Dr. Bornstein didn't talk about this fact at all in his letter, but Dr. Oz caught it and asked a series of appropriate questions. Trump doesn't exercise. He famously doesn't eat right. He knows he should do better. He says he's always been overweight. He came off as genuine and probably only further endeared himself to a wide swath of voters. Like Trump, most of us are overweight. Only half of us even claim to work out the minimum amount we need.
    Mrs. Clinton, by contrast, eats an ideal diet "rich in lean protein, vegetables and fruits" and regularly does "yoga, swimming, walking and weight training" for her exercise regimen. Tsk tsk. What country is she running to lead, Denmark?
    Trump's personal health wisdom, by contrast, includes dutifully wearing his hat while golfing and delivering his gesture-heavy speeches in "sauna"-like venues, he told Dr. Oz.
    Follow CNN Opinion

Join us on Twitter and Facebook
    Despite stepping it up a notch, Dr. Bornstein still managed not to say his patient has a diagnosis of high cholesterol, a diagnosis we can piece together only through Trump confiding in Dr. Oz that he's tried two prior statin drugs and only the latest has done the trick. Bornstein also doesn't explain why his patient bothered to have an echocardiogram, even if the results proved normal. That's not a typical screening test.
    A couple of moments proved creepy to me, like seeing this racially and culturally insensitive candidate invoke and credit the genetic profile he inherited from his Scottish ancestors for his good health. When Dr. Oz asked Trump what he saw in the mirror, Trump replied that his 35-year-old self stood there beaming back at him. Coming from one of the most narcissistic people in public life today, I suspect the candidate is quite genuine in this answer.
    But put it all together and the appearance was a win for both Mehmet Oz and Donald Trump. Oz got a 48-hour cycle of worldwide hype for his show, and delivered a truly compelling product. Trump dragged out Hillary's painful misstep from Sunday, and connected with Dr. Oz's mostly female daytime audience calmly and comfortably. Both candidates are healthy enough to serve as our chief executive. But only one of them has proved that to the voters.

- - - Updated - - -

Trump has played the media like a fined tuned instrument , and the media had no idea. Hillary comes off as secretive, nasty and bitter. She is not inspiring the Dems to vote, more like she is driving them away to Johnson.

- - - Updated - - -

I... wh... I'm trying to parse that clodgy text block you put up (copy-paste is a dangerous tool in unskilled hands) and... are... are you really sure it's supposed to be... well, I mean, it's slobbing all over Trump's knob, so it's clearly written by an intensely biased hand, but... are you sure you even... read this?

I mean. I know the hardcore right despises Michelle Obama for daring to suggest kids get exercise, but... I mean...

...this is supposed to be a criticism?! Does... does the author even know how criticism works?! Why would you include the fact that she leads an active and healthy lifestyle in an anti-Clinton attack?

What are we supposed to take away from all this? "Sure, Trump's nearly obese and has high cholesterol, but at least he doesn't have pneumonia?"

Maybe this guy's not trying to attack Clinton, but I really have trouble believing this is the slam dunk grand slam touchdown you seem to think it is.

The only "guns" she's sticking to are the ones throwing billions of dollars at her, while still claiming to be in favor of everything at all times depending on the audience.

Why are you so angry about the fact that people don't believe you when you have exactly zero evidence to prove your claim?
    Last edited by LaserSharkDFB; 2016-09-17 at 12:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

Making up a bunch of stuff you have literally zero evidence for isn't really a convincing argument.

Making up a bunch of stuff you have literally zero evidence for isn't really a convincing argument.
    Like what have I made up, exactly? The CTR bots demanding evidence of nothing are out in force tonight.

10+ Year Old Account

"Sheep" is pretty much a conspiracy theorist handbook word. The irony!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like what have I made up, exactly? The CTR bots demanding evidence of nothing are out in force tonight.
    That she's only favoring those who donate billions, that she's flip flopping her rhetoric based on audience. Zero evidence of either.

That she's only favoring those who donate billions, that she's flip flopping her rhetoric based on audience. Zero evidence of either.
    It's like this is her first day in politics, eh? Brand new babe in the woods! Who cares about yesterday when we're all worried about tomorrow?