Blood OH SNAP Moment

Hey all. I have just started to play pre-patch. Im loving the DK changes so far, especially Unholy.
    But i'm struggling with Blood atm. Which is expected of course. New talents, new playstyle, specs being balanced around for level 110 etc..

But i find myself really weak as a Blood DK. I have no "oh snap" ability. Especially for TW dungeons. Either with 2-3 pack of mobs, or a boss. My HP is on %20ish and i can see the healer struggling to keep me alive. Usually, i would pop IBF or Death Pact, or even pop ERW and spam 3 Death Strikes back to back to keep me floating. If VB and DRW are on cooldown, i feel helpless and the best thing i could do is to activate Engineering speed boost and run away like crazy till the healer heals me around %50ish then run back to boss/mobs.

Are we going to get a somehow stronger CD at 110 with artifact weapons? or is this how tanking works now. Very few CDs and no oh snap ability?

Its mainly because blood, out of all of the classes after the rework, depends on the artifact weapon.

A 45 second Death Pact and other abilities that make Heart strike and others heal you as well as make more bone charges. The Artifact IS needed to round out the class. Look at the other tanks and their artifacts. I don't think you'll find one that is intrinsically so gimped after the rework than the blood death knight.

There is light at the end of the tunnel though, come legion, you will feel whole again.

Hey DarkT, best thing you can do right now is make sure you never run out of Bone shield charges and if you feel like you're really struggling always try and float 45 RP for an emergency DS (35 if you have t18 4pc + Ossuary). Blood does get better in Legion with your base artifact ability consumption 45sec cd with a scaling heal based on how many mobs you hit with it, and other artifact talents.

As a poster said above, Blood DK seems to be heavily reliant on their artifact. Compare the traits between Prot pally and Blood dk. Blood dk's traits are heavily defensive, increasing self heal and mitigation a lot. On the other hand, a tank that's not have problems atm, prot pally, has an artifact that seems to mostly increase their offense.

Kind of bad for the pre-patch, but it'll be better at launch for sure.

@DarkT

Biggest thing is never drop under 5 BS stacks for cheaper DS. Never spend all your RP unless you need to to live that second. Always have a backup DS saved. You have a big enough RP pool to have 3 DS in a row(generally won't want to push to have 3 because you will cap RP but you can always be close).

The artifact does... somehow help slightly. The 45 sec CD that heals for 100% of its damage dealt is good on AoE but pretty worthless single target. The artifact traits themselves aren't that amazing. Most of DK survival is really just around Haste/Crit for faster rune regen and parrying to lose less BS stacks.

Unfortunately we basically don't have an oh-shit button anymore until 110. It's perfectly workable, just dramatically different from being extremely active/control/CD focused to very passive focused.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jellospally View Post
    @DarkT

Biggest thing is never drop under 5 BS stacks for cheaper DS. Never spend all your RP unless you need to to live that second. Always have a backup DS saved. You have a big enough RP pool to have 3 DS in a row(generally won't want to push to have 3 because you will cap RP but you can always be close).

The artifact does... somehow help slightly. The 45 sec CD that heals for 100% of its damage dealt is good on AoE but pretty worthless single target. The artifact traits themselves aren't that amazing. Most of DK survival is really just around Haste/Crit for faster rune regen and parrying to lose less BS stacks.

I kinda have to categorically disagree with you here. Everything about the Artifact weapon increases your healing/ survivabilty, also, consume gives 250% dmg back as a heal...not 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilways View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

I kinda have to categorically disagree with you here. Everything about the Artifact weapon increases your healing/ survivabilty, also, consume gives 250% dmg back as a heal...not 100%.
    Consumption def doesn't give 250% of the damage as healing.
    1: https://gyazo.com/567ebc1eec8e8332e807e869c58abe09
    2: https://gyazo.com/3edb58388a06d213da637bbfa7bb4e63 with Vamp Blood 45% + 22% from vers. 130k x 1.45 x 1.22 and you get that heal number. Still 100%. Yep.

Yep not 250%. Its 100% period. No argument otherwise.

Vampiric Fangs: 15% healing and HP buff to Vamp Blood. Yep good overall buff.
    Rattling Bones: 30% chance to get 1 more BS charge from Marrow... Sorta useful. Over a whole fight how many marrowrends does this save for HS is the big question. Still one of the "better non golden traits though"
    Blood Feast: Trash on single target. Not terrible on 5 target cleave though.
    Mouth of Hell: Quality during DRW so we don't have to double Marrowrend. Hurray 10 stacks off 1 Marrow.
    DRW Trait: 6 sec to DRW weew... meh its a shit CD literally useful only for 10 stacks of BS in 1 Marrow(which is literally useless after first one).
    Random other traits: 6% armor, 3% parry, 3% hp... eh w/e every tank gets them minimal at best.
    Rest are dps traits.

Goldens:
    Unending Thirst: Won't ever benefit from this outside single target Bosses and spamming multiple DS in a row or other tank is tanking and you can max dps. (they fixed getting leech before blood shield was applied)
    Umbilicus Eternus: Pretty strong when you have Vamp'd on big aoe pulls and BP got to do some damage. Trait really doesn't shine until you get HS legendary belt.
    Skeletal Shattering: Pretty strong since crit is our 2nd best stat. Just free reduction chance everytime we get hit.

We really don't get A LOT of Healing/Survival from it. Nothing that we REQUIRE and is stopping us from playing perfectly fine atm. Every tank is getting the passive armor/hp/parry shit so you can't even factor those in.

So we get a whopping worthless golden trait when we are getting pounded, another that only works once every 1.5m(obviously less CD because you ONLY use Red Thirst) AFTER our CD falls off, and a nice passive reduction golden. The HS heal is situational at best and the Marrowrend trait is decent, but 30% proc chance... hurrah....

Our class is perfectly fine people need to get used to how to play its different now. Don't be like the people saying we can't run Bonestorm and use it on CD in HFC because purg is REQUIRED or its impossible to live. We are so durable atm. Sure in 5 mans its DIFFERENT because our healing is based on 20% of damage taken not just AP heal based. Everyone knows Timewalking is literally trash atm for almost everything... its pre patch and timewalking don't judge ANYTHING EVER EVER EVER off timewalking.... in a patch that really isn't mean to be balanced for that in anyway shape or form.
    Last edited by Jellospally; 2016-07-28 at 01:50 AM.

Thank you all. Guess i'm going to stick to Unholy until Legion. It is a joy to play.

Timewalking is pretty brutal, but its not a DK problem. I've tanked them as Blood but also healed them as Shaman and Priest, so I've seen every kind of tank/healer struggle this patch. Its a balance issue with old content not being tuned for new mechanics or vice versa. Pretty disheartening at first but Blood felt indestructible on beta so i'm not worried at all.

Consumption def doesn't give 250% of the damage as healing..
    I don't think that's what he meant.

Consumption hits for 250% weapon damage and heals for 100% of that, that's the exact wording on the ability.

7+ Year Old Account
    One tip for timewalking - at first fight pop DRW and get fast 10 stacks of bone shield. Use talent what reduce enemies movement speed with DnD - its help alot to kite big pulls while spaming Blood Boil. And pick Bonestorm - really helps at trash. For me tanking bosses is easy peesy in timewalking - trash is more harder since we dont have our AW.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Douchebag View Post
    I don't think that's what he meant.

Consumption hits for 250% weapon damage and heals for 100% of that, that's the exact wording on the ability.
    That still wouldn't make sense since I said " it heals for 100% of the damage it does" hes saying I am wrong when thats actually how it works then says it does 250% dmg back as a heal doesn't exactly mean what it actually does at all. Unless poorly worded.

That still wouldn't make sense since I said " it heals for 100% of the damage it does" hes saying I am wrong when thats actually how it works then says it does 250% dmg back as a heal doesn't exactly mean what it actually does at all. Unless poorly worded.
    It hits all targets in front of you for 250% weapon damage, I assume that's 250% weapon damage per target seeing as the ability doesn't say anything about splitting the damage.

You are then healed for 100% of that damage.

I'm gonna' go ahead and agree with you here, it heals for 100% of the damage it does. It doesn't heal for 250% of the damage, but it does heal for 250% weapon damage, per target that is. I think the guy you originally responded to either worded his post poorly or simply misunderstood the ability.

Or maybe I'm brainfarting completely here.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Douchebag View Post
    It hits all targets in front of you for 250% weapon damage, I assume that's 250% weapon damage per target seeing as the ability doesn't say anything about splitting the damage.

You are then healed for 100% of that damage.

I'm gonna' go ahead and agree with you here, it heals for 100% of the damage it does. It doesn't heal for 250% of the damage, but it does heal for 250% weapon damage, per target that is. I think the guy you originally responded to either worded his post poorly or simply misunderstood the ability.

Or maybe I'm brainfarting completely here.
    I agree if he meant it did 250% wep dmg as a heal... I guess. It is just a poor way to word to when you just told someone they were wrong that it did 100% of the damage dealt.

He probably meant it or maybe he didn't but he never responded... so who knows.