Poll: Should world leaders answer questions in other languages?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hillary does lover her pandering.
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

Quote Originally Posted by Draeth View Post
    Between 14-18% of Americans speak Spanish as their first or second language, which is nearly as large a percent of population as French speakers in Canada, and is between 7 and 8 times more people in absolute numbers (45-55 million Spanish American speakers vs. 7 million French Canadian speakers). Everything of importance in Canada is bilingual.

There are more Spanish speakers in the US than any other country in the world, except Mexico (yes, that includes Spain).

There are more Spanish speakers in the US than French, German, Italian, Chinese, and First Nation languages combined.

It is more than reasonable to have major political discourse in Spanish. The complaints against it are patently xenophobic, plain and simple.
    It's not xenophobic, I would deport Marxists if I could legally justify it

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    I fail to see how Spanish is really a threat to you personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

You would have really hated Martin Van Buren then.

English wasn't even his first language.

The culture, the diversity. How horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Draeth View Post
    It is more than reasonable to have major political discourse in Spanish. The complaints against it are patently xenophobic, plain and simple.
    Not really. Having one language instead of multiple ones is just more efficient. Xenophobia is nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    You would have really hated Martin Van Buren then.

English wasn't even his first language.

The culture, the diversity. How horrible.

How many presidential questions did he answer in Dutch ?

"The eagle never lost so much time as when it submitted to learn of the crow."
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

How many presidential questions did he answer in Dutch ?
    Why would that matter whether answer is 0 or 1,000?

Hint : It doesn't

Without going into the politics of this particular case; even if someone can speak and understand English, or any other 2nd language, fluently, there's generally always going to be something lost in translation talking to someone in their 2nd language. And it's kindest to talk to them in their mother tongue when possible

Whether it's sayings (like second hand news), inflections, or probably the biggest one of devoting brain power to understand each individual word instead of the overall conversation, it's extremely rare that a person gains as much out of a conversation in their secondary language compared to first.

Should immigrants learn the native language to the best of their abilities? Yes. But it still will never be the same as fully understanding your mother tongue. There's a difference growing up bilingual from a young age but that's not being discussed here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmerciful Conker View Post
    What?! They said soon? Well you dont hear that everyday, I dont know about you guys but that has put my mind at total rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Why would that matter whether answer is 0 or 1,000?

Hint : It doesn't
    Yea it does, the point of the discussion is not whether or not a potential POTUS is bilingual its how much of their time gets devoted to people of other languages. Do you really think non Spansish speaking americans want to make the country bilingual?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Not really. Having one language instead of multiple ones is just more efficient. Xenophobia is nonsense.
    But you don't have one language, you have hundreds languages used in the country. Disliking it when you hear a non-English speech is very close to xenophobia.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    English is a far better language, you can say far more with it, there are many words in English that simply don't have a Spanish
    The hell are you saying?
    spanish is much harder than english to learn as a second language. english is used because its simple. and believe me, spanish does have many words that doesnt translate directly into english

lol nope. we can have one in common, but having multiple languages helps a lot, in order to learn how people who speak said language understand the world
    and also, the US does not have an official language
    and if i could i would deport all of the conservative specimens into a desert, without water or food. see what i did there?
    Last edited by Thepersona; 2016-07-28 at 11:34 PM. Reason: things that happen
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea it does, the point of the discussion is not whether or not a potential POTUS is bilingual its how much of their time gets devoted to people of other languages. Do you really think non Spansish speaking americans want to make the country bilingual?
    There is no American language so who gives a shit.
    Black Lives Matter

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Disliking it when you hear a non-English speech is very close to xenophobia.
    No, it's not. A national political speech should be made in the main language.

How is this different than any other group? Do you whine where a candidate focuses on LGBTQ? or Black Americans? Veterans? Disabled people?

Why do you care they see attempted to better connect a spanish-speaking demographic other than just being outright xenophobic?

No, it's not. A national political speech should be made in the main language.
    If it's translated, what difference does it make?
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.