Thread: Installing WoW

Installing WoW

Hey everyone,

I just need a little help with installing wow I just checked out on blizzard the "Play for free" is 40gb to download and thats to much data for me to use in one month so i looked online for hard copy's and found that from ebgame's there is a pack called "World of Warcraft Battlechest" and I would like to know that if i buy this and install the disks, I wont have to use any net data?

There will never be "no data" because the game needs patched.
    The discs could be weeks old at a likely minimum.
    Though as we now have what is in effect Legion, the discs from any earlier expansion will be at least 1 expansion or more out of date.

The nearest you are going to get to the current live game is an actual Legion installation disc, come release of it at the end of August.
    And then due to the need to produce discs in advance it will be already out of date, and so some patching will be required.

If you have a friend then see if they can do a manual copy of the current Live installation.
    At least on Windows (barely used macs) you can simply point the battle.net client to an existing installation.
    WoW is unusual in the case that a copy will just work.
    The battle.net client will sort out any registry entries once it is pointed at where you copied it to.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2016-07-29 at 07:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your best bet to not have to download anything is to use a USB stick and copy the folder from a friends PC if you know anyone who plays it, otherwise there will always be patch and expansion data to download, even on Battle Chest disc installs.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Battle Chest wouldn't have the current data, essentially you'd install it, but then the client will still want to override probably 40gb anyway.

Deleted
    The Legion PrePatch alone is already 20 gigs large and that won't be on those disks.
    I can't even begin to tell you how much you'd have to download afterwards since I don't even know what version of Battlechest you are talking about.

Ok thanks alot for the help guys!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh one more question, how big and how often are wow patches?

Quote Originally Posted by melonfarmer View Post
    Ok thanks alot for the help guys!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh one more question, how big and how often are wow patches?
    Well, legion is about 20gigs, for an expansion. For a patch, been awhile but 10-15? depending on provided content (i.e. the 6.1 LOL SELFIES patch was rather small)

How often... Maybe every 4-6 months. And they are usually 2-6GB depending on the amount of content we are getting(eg. major raid tier releases are 5GB, while smaller bugfix/small content patches more like 2-3GB)