Ethiopian Opposition leaders on hunger strike

Bekele and his associates were detained on December 23, 2015 and later charged under Ethiopia’s terrorism law for allegedly belonging to the banned Oromo Liberation Front (OLF) – a charge that is regularly used to silence ethnic Oromos who are critical of the government. They were first taken to the notorious Maekalawi prison, where torture and other ill-treatment are routine. Since moving to Kilinto, Bekele and his colleagues have repeatedly petitioned the courts to investigate their mistreatment in detention, to allow their families visiting rights, and to provide them with proper medication.

Bekele is a staunch advocate of non-violence and is one of tens of thousands who were detained during the mostly peaceful protests that have swept through Oromia since November. Many of those who have since been released reported being tortured in custody.

Since the protests began, the security forces have killed over 400 people, most of them students. Yet, there has been no meaningful investigation into the killings and no effort to hold security forces accountable. Instead, the state-affiliated Human Rights Commission in an oral report to parliament in June concluded that the level of force used by security forces was proportionate to the risk the forces faced, sending an ominous message to Ethiopians that security force members can shoot unarmed protesters with impunity.

As it is clear that the Ethiopian government is either not willing or not able to conduct a credible investigation into the conduct of its security forces, there is increasing need for international involvement in any investigation.

Unfortunately, the authorities’ failure to treat Bekele and his colleagues with the most basic respect for their rights is indicative of a government that shows little willingness to right the wrongs it has committed. Their continued detention sends a message to young Ethiopians that the government equates peaceful protest with terrorism, putting Ethiopia on a dangerous trajectory.
    This is something sad that I thought I would share on this forum.

Ethiopia has an issue with the opression of the majority ethnic group called the Oromo people. I think it's sad that Ethiopia, a country with rich culture and history has issue with silencing the press and torturing prisoners. However, I am happy that someone is at least doing something about it.

snrrrrrrrrk. Incoming Ethiopia jokes, but I want to start. 'How does he know he's on a hunger strike?'.
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

Minority group in africa being opressed you say?

Turns out the whole country's already been doing this for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Minority group in africa being opressed you say?
    Well, it's a majority, they make up around 40% of the population, so they are the single largest ethnic group in Ethiopia.

Deleted
    bob geldof wont be happy

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Well, it's a majority, they make up around 40% of the population, so they are the single largest ethnic group in Ethiopia.
    Will have to go read up on that then. What religion do they practise?

Will have to go read up on that then. What religion do they practise?
    From Wikipedia
    Christianity 48.2% (Ethiopian Orthodox 30.5%, Protestants 17.7%); Sunni Islam 47.5%; traditional religion 3.3%

From Wikipedia
    Ok thanks, yeah it sucks comming from ethiopia seeing as they are one of the leading countrys in GDP in africa or should i say one of the more civil places there.

Seems they are abit in decline though reading about education and literacy rate with a big decline over the years, what reason that is i dunno, this is what i got from just fast reading about the nation, will read up on it some more but education is key to stop things like this from happening in the first place.

Ok thanks, yeah it sucks comming from ethiopia seeing as they are one of the leading countrys in GDP in africa or should i say one of the more civil places there.

Seems they are abit in decline though reading about education and literacy rate with a big decline over the years, what reason that is i dunno, this is what i got from just fast reading about the nation, will read up on it some more but education is key to stop things like this from happening in the first place.
    Well I think after World War 2, Ethiopia was gradually becoming a very Westernized and developed, then there was a communist revolution, that sort of fucked things up, a war with Somalia, the loss of Eritrea, more fighting, it left Ethiopia impoverished.

This is something sad that I thought I would share on this forum.

Ethiopia has an issue with the opression of the majority ethnic group called the Oromo people. I think it's sad that Ethiopia, a country with rich culture and history has issue with silencing the press and torturing prisoners. However, I am happy that someone is at least doing something about it.
    It was a common tactic for the colonial powers to conquer a country, in this case Ethiopia and put the minority in charge. Why? The minority group were the weakest and would be most dependent on the colonials for protection.

The Rwanda genocide the majority Hutus turning on the minority Tutsis after the colonial French left. One million dead.

Both Iraq and Syria were led by minority groups, Assad's Alawite in Syria and Saddam's Sunnis in Iraq. Colonialism, the gift that keeps on giving.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    It was a common tactic for the colonial powers to conquer a country, in this case Ethiopia and put the minority in charge. Why? The minority group were the weakest and would be most dependent on the colonials for protection.

The Rwanda genocide the majority Hutus turning on the minority Tutsis after the colonial French left. One million dead.

Both Iraq and Syria were led by minority groups, Assad's Alawite in Syria and Saddam's Sunnis in Iraq. Colonialism, the gift that keeps on giving.
    Well Ethiopia was never formally colonized with the exception of the Italian occupation of Ethiopia during World War 2, which can largely be attributed to the use of chemical warfare, which the Ethiopian forces were unprepared for.

I'm actually not sure where the oppression of Oromo people comes from, I don't think any of the ruling Emperors of Ethiopia were Oromo though.

You made an excellent point about colonialism though. King Leopold basically fucked the Congo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

The French did not leave the Alawites in control of Syria, they left the Sunnis in control.

However Sunnis did not like to join the army and Alawites being typically rural could not afford to pay the fee to exempt them from military service, so they were obliged to serve. That led to Alawites eventually dominating the military.

Similarly the secularism promoted by the Ba'th Party appealed to Alawites, as it meant they would stop being persecuted by the state and so they became overrepresented in the Syrian branch of that organisation as well.

A combination of these two things subsequently led to the Assad taking control of Syria, it was not colonialism that granted Alawites power.

Hahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahaha

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair, things happening in Ethiopia pale in comparison to what takes place in Eritrea nearby...
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    Hahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahaha
    What's so funny?

What's so funny?
    Ethiopians going on a hunger strike. It just sounds funny.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    can they get skinnier?