Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

How do you seriously feel about the Illidan novel?

Just want to chime in with no spoilers and express this was great. It proves that Illidan is a good person at heart, our attack on him in BC (while probably not thought out lore-wise at the time) was completely fucking stupid and nonsensical in retrospect, and most people that wrong Illidan in his life like Malfurion and Akama are bastards. In particular, I always assumed that the thing with Illidan being imprisoned for 10,000 years was pretty comical and overblown but it's shown just HOW MUCH it affected him. While it's too soon to probably post, I just want to know what others thought of it.

The "did nothing wrong" meme and saying probably doesn't apply more literally to anyone fictional more than Illidan by now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    Just want to chime in with no spoilers and express this was great. It proves that Illidan is a good person at heart, our attack on him in BC (while probably not thought out lore-wise at the time) was completely fucking stupid and nonsensical in retrospect, and most people that wrong Illidan in his life like Malfurion and Akama are bastards. In particular, I always assumed that the thing with Illidan being imprisoned for 10,000 years was pretty comical and overblown but it's shown just HOW MUCH it affected him. While it's too soon to probably post, I just want to know what others thought of it.

The "did nothing wrong" meme and saying probably doesn't apply more literally to anyone fictional more than Illidan by now.

ILLIDAN FANS FOREVER

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Illidan's a complex character that combines both selflessness and selfishness in equal measure. In some senses he's very misunderstood by both his brother and the Night Elves in general - but there's no arguing he's been corrupted and damaged by his infusion of demonic and Fel essence, and that corruption has made him make some terrible and damaging decisions. I thought that the Illidan novel did a lot to lay out his character and especially note the shades of grays in his mission to bring war to the Burning Legion.

My main complaint with the novel was essentially its ending, and the anointing of Illidan as a future "Champion of the Light" by the Elder Naaru. I thought this was a bit hackneyed, but I'm willing to see how it plays out in-game.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

7+ Year Old Account
    I think it's going quite too far to apply the "did nothing wrong" meme to him although the book is excellent and it does its job of giving his side of the story (as well as Maiev's and Akama's.)

He had a noble goal, but he was needlessly ruthless in his methods, and he also became too focused on the big picture, and he lost sight of the fact that his immediate world was literally crumbling around him until it was too late.

Honestly, he did deserve his ass-kicking by us "the adventurers" no matter how much Xe'ra scolds us next expansion. It is definitely good to look and see things from his point of view but I think the point is that perhaps his defeat at the Black Temple might have taught him a little lesson, or one can hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Enthralled View Post
    I think it's going quite too far to apply the "did nothing wrong" meme to him although the book is excellent and it does its job of giving his side of the story (as well as Maiev's and Akama's.)

He had a noble goal, but he was needlessly ruthless in his methods, and he also became too focused on the big picture, and he lost sight of the fact that his immediate world was literally crumbling around him until it was too late.

Honestly, he did deserve his ass-kicking by us "the adventurers" no matter how much Xe'ra scolds us next expansion. It is definitely good to look and see things from his point of view but I think the point is that perhaps his defeat at the Black Temple might have taught him a little lesson, or one can hope.
    Why though? What'd he do to us to warrant an asskicking?

He literally has nothing to do with Kael'thas or cares. Of course had he known what he'd been up to, he would have kicked his ass.

7+ Year Old Account

He literally has nothing to do with Kael'thas or cares. Of course had he known what he'd been up to, he would have kicked his ass.
    Creating an assload of fel orcs (this alone was enough to enrage Thrall's Horde and make him a sworn enemy), some of them volunteers but some were kidnapped from the ranks of the Mag'har whom the Horde were allied with; draining Zangarmarsh with the ultimate goal of using drought to control all of Outland; enslaving Broken; allying with the Dragonmaw; sheltering Teron Gorefiend...

Shall I go on? The thing is, no one know what he was up to in BT. The idea was that he was a crazed madman trying to take over Outland. Yes he was fighting the Legion but he was also fighting everyone else. So with no other information, we attacked him and took him out. And he deserved it. That's no way to run an operation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    My main complaint with the novel was essentially its ending, and the anointing of Illidan as a future "Champion of the Light" by the Elder Naaru. I thought this was a bit hackneyed, but I'm willing to see how it plays out in-game.
    But we don't know if he goes full light or combination of light and void since Xe'ra called him the child of shadow and light. It would be cool for him to be able to control both

I really liked the book... though I was more interested in the Demon Hunters in his ranks than the title character. Illidan is a loser... he tries too hard to be a savior for his people instead of actually helping his people. He turned volunteers into monsters to fight other monsters... killing what 4 out of 5 in the process? He doesn't have a good track record and is not to be trusted. However, as long as his attention stays on the Legion, I'm willing to unleash him.

Deleted

He did deserve his asskicking not because of his actions but for his inactions. You have a kingdom you have to run it, you have a follower who wants his temple back you have to convince him that you will give it to him, you have a prisoner who wants to kill you she must die for safety measures, duh!

Quote Originally Posted by Enthralled View Post
    Creating an assload of fel orcs (this alone was enough to enrage Thrall's Horde and make him a sworn enemy), some of them volunteers but some were kidnapped from the ranks of the Mag'har whom the Horde were allied with; draining Zangarmarsh with the ultimate goal of using drought to control all of Outland; enslaving Broken; allying with the Dragonmaw; sheltering Teron Gorefiend...

Shall I go on? The thing is, no one know what he was up to in BT. The idea was that he was a crazed madman trying to take over Outland. Yes he was fighting the Legion but he was also fighting everyone else. So with no other information, we attacked him and took him out. And he deserved it. That's no way to run an operation.
    See, you make it sound negative there. Illidan was not going to take those armies you described and try to raze or even remotely bother Azeroth, he was going to further wage his crusade against the Burning Legion. The fucking Burning Legion behind all of Azeroth's scars and suffering? Illidan was going to do more of what he did to the Dreadlords.

All those supposed bad things like Fel Orcs and maybe Gorefiend in the long run, were allied to Stormrage and to us by extension if we didn't decide to fucking attack them for no real reason. A lot of conflict with the Legion would be easier if we sooner joined forces and did what Illidan says.
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2016-08-05 at 08:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought the book was really enjoyable and it got some background to the TBC story. What I really loved was the story of how they become Demon Hunters and their inner battles!
    The Illidan hero of light thing will be interesting to see out but I don't think he will glow with light lol.. more like the enemy of my enemy. But the Lore in general right now is amazing I only wish that the effort they are putting into it doesn't stop.
    Just your average Gamer and making Youtube videos on the games I play - if you fancy checking it out please feel free
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Mcsuiy
    It's nothing overly special, but working on it! Tips always welcome.

Deleted
    Thought the writing wasn't great. The assault on Illidan section was fucking cringeworthy. But I enjoyed it overall, and I'm mostly sure I couldn't do better. Can't fault it from a lore perspective, I've always been a fan of Illidan, so it's nice to see him back in a positive light. Maybe the champion of light vision was a step too far, but as it hasn't happened yet, we'll see. Now Green Jesus has been sidelined, maybe we need Edgelord Jesus for a while, it could work!

7+ Year Old Account
    See, you make it sound negative there. Illidan was not going to take those forces you described and try to raze or even remotely bother Azeroth, he was going to further wage his crusade against the Burning Legion. The fucking Burning Legion behind all of Azeroth's scars and suffering? Illidan was going to do more of what he did to the Dreadlords.
    Yes. That is Illidan's thinking. The book is excellent because it places that moral dilemma front and center. When placed with knowledge like Illidan has, knowledge of total apocalypse -- is it OK to do anything in your power to defeat the enemy, no matter the cost? On the surface it's a simple question, but then the book delves into specifics, like events in W3 and the Burning Crusade that we thought we knew so well and the author shows them from a completely different perspective and it's like, "Hmmmm..."
    I can see Illidan's thinking -- but after rolling it over in my head, I still think that he acted rashly by alienating so many people who could have been his allies. The Zangarmarsh thing, for instance? Totally unnecessary.
    The ass-kicking was, hopefully, a wake-up call for him that he cannot do it all. In fact I think it was painted like that in the book, judging from his inner monologue just before the adventurers come into his sanctum at the top of BT to attack.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Diannak View Post
    But we don't know if he goes full light or combination of light and void since Xe'ra called him the child of shadow and light. It would be cool for him to be able to control both
    No idea, but I assumed the title was because he began his career tainted by demonic Fel energy, and eventually becomes a creature of Light. I'm not quite sure a single individual could wield both without having them cancel each other out or exploding due to an unstable configuration - but it'll be interesting to see how they play it out.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

No idea, but I assumed the title was because he began his career tainted by demonic Fel energy, and eventually becomes a creature of Light. I'm not quite sure a single individual could wield both without having them cancel each other out or exploding due to an unstable configuration - but it'll be interesting to see how they play it out.
    Expansion after Legion... Illidan becomes a Disc Priest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    Expansion after Legion... Illidan becomes a Disc Priest.
    If he goes to dual-wielding maces as opposed to the Warglaives of Azzinoth I think we'll have to get him some therapy or something.

I don't understand why so many people are taking the whole "child of light and shadow" thing so literal. Can't they see that it's most likely a metaphorical title? It lines up perfectly with the constant tug-of-war battle between his selflessness and selfishness? "Army of Light" could simply be the Naaru's way of saying "forces of 'good'" and the shadow meaning his internal darkness. I've seen several other threads elsewhere where people are thinking he literally will be wielding the power of the Light like a priest or paladin. That's not what it means.

Deleted
    If he goes to dual-wielding maces as opposed to the Warglaives of Azzinoth I think we'll have to get him some therapy or something.
    Maybe some vacation in a nice tropical island with a nice girl to keep him company

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfròst View Post
    I don't understand why so many people are taking the whole "child of light and shadow" thing so literal. Can't they see that it's most likely a metaphorical title? It lines up perfectly with the constant tug-of-war battle between his selflessness and selfishness? "Army of Light" could simply be the Naaru's way of saying "forces of 'good'" and the shadow meaning his internal darkness. I've seen several other threads elsewhere where people are thinking he literally will be wielding the power of the Light like a priest or paladin. That's not what it means.
    that ...is a fair point

Hey on topic I just thought with all this Legion stuff going on for a long while now, what happened to Med'an?

how does malfurion even HAVE fans, literally everything he's done since WC3 was stupid as shit