Upgrade time for legion

Hi all, it's been close to 10 years since I bought a new computer and with new expac releasing soon with its fancy new animations and such I think it's about time.

Country
    Australia

Budget
    $600

Resolution
    1920x1080

Games
    I mainly just play wow and occasionally Diablo 3. I would like to try and achieve a steady 60fps on ultra settings with wow, with maybe a couple options in the high settings. Hopefully this is achievable with my budget.

Reusable parts
    I'm not currently home at the moment so I can't give you exact details but I would like to save my money with keeping the old case. The power supply might be reusable but I'd need to check the wattage. Would the power supply still be okay after 10years of use or better to get a new one?

Peripherals
    I have all I need in this department.

OS
    With getting a new motherboard will it still recognize / load my existing windows 10 on my HDD? or do I need to purchase a new one?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post . Let me know if you need more info for anything cheers.

Deleted
    600$ australian dollar for a PC that runs WoW at 60fps on ultra?

Damn that is super hard since parts are damn expensive in Australia.

You can't do ultra WoW 60fps/1080p (in mythic raiding to be clear).....

You also can't do it for $600 AUS and yes you will need a new OS unless you can recover the key or talk to MS about giving u a replacement key.

Now if ur ok with medium or highish settings that is a bit of a different story.

- - - Updated - - -

This is as cheap as I could get. It gives you abit of a upgrade path as well.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($155.00 @ Centre Com)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($49.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Motherboard: ASRock H110M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($78.00 @ IJK)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($58.00 @ CPL Online)
    Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.00 @ IJK)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($164.00 @ Centre Com)
    Case: Cougar Solution 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.00 @ Mwave Australia)
    Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Total: $683.00
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-31 12:07 AEST+1000

I could maybe get a worse CPU but I wouldn't advise it. This will give u 1080p WoW 60fps on high in most of the game.

Edit: Ignore this build and read the build I posted below. It has faster ram and that will help.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-07-31 at 02:34 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

As far as the PC parts. Go to your local PC place ask them how much a new i5-6th gen CPU is, in canada they are roughly $200-300 a new motherboard would be needed to support it, new ram would also be needed. Thats the bare bones of it. As far as your power supply might not be salvageable new systems motherboards usually require a specific power adapter as well as the new motherboard usually requires a different type of connection for your Hard drive / dvd drive for instance your old ones of 10 years ago prob dont have sata connections which is what almost all new motherboards have no more ide connections. So you would also most likely need a new hard drive and or dvd/cd drive as well...

Now the CPU mother board and ram would prob put u around 600 bucks without taxes easy. Just saying...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    You can't do ultra WoW 60fps/1080p (in mythic raiding to be clear).....

You also can't do it for $600 AUS and yes you will need a new OS unless you can recover the key or talk to MS about giving u a replacement key.

Now if ur ok with medium or highish settings that is a bit of a different story.

- - - Updated - - -

This is as cheap as I could get. It gives you abit of a upgrade path as well.

CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($49.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($58.00 @ CPL Online)
    Total: $683.00
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-31 12:07 AEST+1000

I could maybe get a worse CPU but I wouldn't advise it.
    as far as I3 I would not even bother. If the cpu dont have quad core min its not worth it.
    The above system would not be able to run wow at any setting at 60 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakotsu View Post
    as far as I3 I would not even bother. If the cpu dont have quad core min its not worth it.
    The above system would not be able to run wow at any setting at 60 fps.
    Not even close to being true.

Wow only at most use's two cores. You could get a 100000 core CPU and it won't make a lick of difference if its core speed is the same as the i3 I posted above. Don't spread false info.

Also like I posted it gives the OP a upgrade path, so later he can upgrade both the GPU and CPU to whatever he wants.

Also as for the CPU.

- - - Updated - - -

Made one small change to my build above, I added faster speed ram.

Memory: Kingston FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($64.90 @ Newegg Australia)
    Total: $689.90
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-31 12:27 AEST+1000

Like the video I posted above shows faster ram will help on this low end CPU. But yes this is more then enough to run wow on Medium/highist settings at 1080p/60fps. You will not get 60fps in mythic raiding tho to be clear.

It does give you a upgrade path so if u want later you can get a better CPU,GPU. Its as cheap as I could get.

Video of a guy running the same CPU with a weaker GPU.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-07-31 at 02:31 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Edit: Ignore this build and read the build I posted below. It has faster ram and that will help.
    What benefit do you expect to see from a faster ram?

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    What benefit do you expect to see from a faster ram?
    Watch the last two and half mins of the Digital Foundry video I posted above.

Faster ram with a weak CPU can lead to better game performance as shown in the video. But OP is more then welcome to pick whatever he wish's.

Thanks for the reply guys, especially you Jtbrig7390 for the builds and vids. I think i'll go and splurge a bit more and grab an i5 cpu since i should be able to reuse my old storage.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as your Windows 10 key goes, unless Micro$oft has changed something, basically what happens is you'll put in your key (if you have it), it'll tell you it's already in use. Then give you this phone number to call, just tell it you've never used it before and it'll give you this long-ass number to put in. Then you're good to go.

I had this issue the most with Windows 7, because I was constantly upgrading my hardware, wiping and reinstalling windows over the course of the OS's life. I never had an issue making the call (it's also all automated) and getting back on track.

If you DON'T have the key, you could have issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandachris View Post
    Thanks for the reply guys, especially you Jtbrig7390 for the builds and vids. I think i'll go and splurge a bit more and grab an i5 cpu since i should be able to reuse my old storage.
    I suggest splurging for an SSD instead.

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($57.00 @ Centre Com)
    Storage: OCZ TRION 150 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($88.00 @ Newegg Australia)
    Case: Zalman Z5 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.00 @ Mwave Australia)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($79.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Total: $690.00
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-31 20:36 AEST+1000

Np at all.

If you can use ur old HD I can try to put together a different build with a i5 (Maybe) if u want. Video card won't change but u can upgrade that later. But ya if you can save up like $300 more ur solid.

Also I wouldn't recommend a SSD just because there is no performance gain, all you get is faster loading times.

No need to buy faster ram unless you buy a z170 mobo otherwise you can't overclock it as far as I know.

Wait for the cheap Radeon RX 460 graphics card.

Watch the last two and half mins of the Digital Foundry video I posted above.

Faster ram with a weak CPU can lead to better game performance as shown in the video. But OP is more then welcome to pick whatever he wish's.
    The video is only 1:28, faster ram will not lead to better performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbon View Post
    Wait for the cheap Radeon RX 460 graphics card.
    no, dont, because AMD cards are awful at WoW/Blizzard games

it has always been that way and it still is, 1060 generally beats 480 in DX11, but in WoW/Overwatch the fps differences are even bigger, up to 20%+

GTX 1060 is your best purchase right now for maxed out 1080p & WoW and it will serve in 1080p in general for years to come, but 1060 probably wont fit into $600 AUS budget (and 1050 isnt out) .. so that leaves 750Ti I guess or maybe GTX 950 ? if you can afford it

Not even close to being true.

Wow only at most use's two cores. You could get a 100000 core CPU and it won't make a lick of difference if its core speed is the same as the i3 I posted above. Don't spread false info.

Also like I posted it gives the OP a upgrade path, so later he can upgrade both the GPU and CPU to whatever he wants.

Also as for the CPU.

- - - Updated - - -

Made one small change to my build above, I added faster speed ram.

Memory: Kingston FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($64.90 @ Newegg Australia)
    Total: $689.90
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-31 12:27 AEST+1000

Like the video I posted above shows faster ram will help on this low end CPU. But yes this is more then enough to run wow on Medium/highist settings at 1080p/60fps. You will not get 60fps in mythic raiding tho to be clear.

It does give you a upgrade path so if u want later you can get a better CPU,GPU. Its as cheap as I could get.

Video of a guy running the same CPU with a weaker GPU.

Laugh look at the resolution hes running at its not even 1080... Sad. not to mention I do not speak or read chec, or what ever funky language that is so yea his settings could be anything and that isnt the most recent version of wow as you notice its the old wow engine that took less to run. But what ever dude.

And sorry although wow might not need 4 cores you gotta think about everything else your running. Windows (personally im on 10 64 bit. which takes full advantage of it.) then I have a mp3 player always running and a few other things. So yea a I3 Does not cut it!

- - - Updated - - -

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($245.00 @ Centre Com)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 70.0 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.00 @ Umart)
    Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver Arctic Alumina Premium Ceramic Polysynthetic 14g Thermal Paste ($9.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($179.00 @ Umart)
    Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($155.00 @ CPL Online)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($164.00 @ CPL Online)
    Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Essential 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($89.00 @ CPL Online)
    Total: $874.00
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-04 10:47 AEST+1000

Thats what Id recommend depending on how much more you want to splurge your video card can go up or your ram can go up to 64 gigs.

I run a I5 6400 quad core 32 gigs ram non raids 200 fps at lvl 9 graphics settings 1080 resolution. With a 750 ti asus card. In raids around 100 fps.

Im sure if my monitor supported a lower setting or if I hooked up a crappy old crt monitor and set it to the same size as the video above Id be getting 300+fps...