Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by parlaa View Post
    People change, so do Orcs.
    That's a very drastic change for no apparent reason.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chitika View Post
    That's a very drastic change for no apparent reason.
    Maybe you just dont know the reason?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    He's literally a Mary Sue-like messiah figure with no flaws and can get away with abusing his brother so much. It's very telling just how disliked he actually is in the fandom for these reasons, so it makes you wonder if he's the worst character written in Warcraft.
    he failed to think WHY would my brother do these things, also failing to see reason, the best example of why i hate malf...

"illidan, a demonic beast, standing over a dead dreadlord who had been corrupting the forests of kalimdor, ruining felwood, and soon darkshore and ashenvale"
    Malf: illidan what the fuck? get out of my sight you monster
    Illi: what but, i... what!? fuck... fine, cya bitch...

>_>

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    This thread is really funny to read.

It basicly shows just why wow fans should never even try to judge lore.

Basicly people in this thread think Malfurion is badly written. Why?..........

They.... dont... like him....

so like.... what?

Because you dont like certain traits that person is now badly written?

Come the fuck on people
    and i dont think most of the people are saying they hate him because of bad writing... most are saying they hate him cause hes a bitch... but there are a few...
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Maybe you just dont know the reason?
    "He has a reason for his change we are just not going to tell you and noone will ever know since he is dead now."
    Seems like a cop-out to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kennedy View Post
    I really liked Malfurion in WC3. WoW really dropped the ball. Knack made everything worse. It's gotten bad, but he isn't really a Mary Sue though
    Really? That's interesting, considering that's where my loathing of him started. I can't remember if it was ROC or TFT though, but he was such a self-righteous character, using jealousy as the main motivator for condemning his brother, who while wasn't a lamb did everything in good intentions, which he could easily have saved and put in good words enough. Beyond the self-righteous he is also self-absorbed and self-catering.
    Loathing of the character is how I would describe it for myself. I haven't read the books.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    he failed to think WHY would my brother do these things, also failing to see reason, the best example of why i hate malf...

"illidan, a demonic beast, standing over a dead dreadlord who had been corrupting the forests of kalimdor, ruining felwood, and soon darkshore and ashenvale"

>_>
    why you remind me of this scene
    even as a child i was mad and didn't understand why malf did this

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Really? That's interesting, considering that's where my loathing of him started. I can't remember if it was ROC or TFT though, but he was such a self-righteous character, using jealousy as the main motivator for condemning his brother, who while wasn't a lamb did everything in good intentions, which he could easily have saved and put in good words enough. Beyond the self-righteous he is also self-absorbed and self-catering.
    Loathing of the character is how I would describe it for myself. I haven't read the books.
    don't read Knaak books
    you have been warned
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I just love the idea of "I want to murder people in moderation".
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    the only "positive" in your case is that, unlike Blizzard's writers, you aren't paid for that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Without knowing what happends in Legion, then he is really just an unused character. He might be awesome, but he is pretty much only filling the role as a questgiver atm and have been so since Cata. Again, like many other old characters, he was very awesome in WC3, but they did not use him to his full potential in WoW. He is not a terrible character, he is just a simple bad character.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Quote Originally Posted by SmashingQuasar View Post
    Malfurion is one of the characters I hate the most in Warcraft's lore. He is responsible for so much destruction and pain around him he should have been put down years ago. If you don't even count how he treated his own brother (I don't want to have Malfurion as a brother, I'd rather have Judas), he always takes the WRONG decision about everything. First thing that comes in mind is his "Firelands invasion" leading to Hamuul Runetotem getting insanely burned because Malfurion was sitting AFK. The guy is so fucking worthless he knew well that staying too long in the Emerald Dream WILL lock him inside but somehow he was just way too careless/stupid/himself to get out when things went south, leading to another AFK phase where we did everything for him. And now in WoD? When you give him the remnant of chaos the guy just tells you basically: "Oh nice you did all the hard work putting down Archimonde and the Burning Legion invasion in Draenor but now I'm just going to run away to another one of the catastrophes I always provoke without EVEN telling you what you just found and how it is important (except it's another thing he fucked up years ago), but you got a moose, I like mooses."

Please just end him ASAP so we can finally get rid of his bullshit.
    Don't forget that Malf interfering directly resulted in the Frozen Throne not being destroyed by Illidan's spell, resulting in Arthas becoming the Lich King and all the shit that ensued. "but the earth hurt, why you hurt earth Illidan!?"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Well don't then, because if you "loathe" him now, then the books will make you want to throw things and start fires, lol. Especially Stormrage.

Quote Originally Posted by ccombustable View Post
    Don't forget that Malf interfering directly resulted in the Frozen Throne not being destroyed by Illidan's spell, resulting in Arthas becoming the Lich King and all the shit that ensued. "but the earth hurt, why you hurt earth Illidan!?"
    To be fair, Illidan was just as much responsible for that one. He directly antagonised Maiev, and then when Malfurion turned up to help her he didn't bother to explain what he was doing until the Eye of Sargeras had already been destroyed. I mean, he even had a perfect opportunity to plead his case when Tyrande ran off just before they went to Lordaeron and almost got herself captured.

Deleted
    No, he's not that bad. Sure, it's stupid that he only cares about the greater good and not his people as much but overall I would not call him such a bad character. He has writing flaws, yes, this whole caring about the world more than his people being one that doesn't make much sense but other than that...

As for Stormrage the book... Knaak has a knaak (hah, I made a pun) for throwing some stories in the last moment. One story he made good which I just finished was Day of the Dragon. I found this book to be quite good, I mean, Kalec even ends up being saved by Jaina! Heck, even Stormrage was somewhat good until a point, that being the last 2 chapters when Malfurion simply enters cheats and then we see a night elf wedding, something that doesn't exist.

Overall, still Malfurion is not a terrible character.

- - - Updated - - -

>_>
    Illidan, now partially a demon himself, standing atop the shrivelled body of another demon. When Illidan was known to suck power out of the living ever since War of the Ancients. When it was known that night elves, above all else, despised demons.

The only logical conclusion was that Illidan only joined the night elves to suck the power out of a powerful demon so he could again use fel magic. I'd have banished him too. The other choice was killing him.

Quote Originally Posted by ccombustable View Post
    Yes, because the alternative of Illidan causing massive floods that would have wiped out life in many areas and earthquakes that would have destroyed others (essentially a Cataclysm) would have been so much better because the Lich King *might* have died. Yes, I say might because you, know, boats exist too, he might have hoped on on, or a frost wyrm and restarted from another spot.

Like seriously, at this point using that logic I wonder why you don't also attack him for helping kill Ragnaros, in the end, Ragnaros would have wiped the naga!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    No, he's not that bad. Sure, it's stupid that he only cares about the greater good and not his people as much but overall I would not call him such a bad character. He has writing flaws, yes, this whole caring about the world more than his people being one that doesn't make much sense but other than that...

As for Stormrage the book... Knaak has a knaak (hah, I made a pun) for throwing some stories in the last moment. One story he made good which I just finished was Day of the Dragon. I found this book to be quite good, I mean, Kalec even ends up being saved by Jaina! Heck, even Stormrage was somewhat good until a point, that being the last 2 chapters when Malfurion simply enters cheats and then we see a night elf wedding, something that doesn't exist.

Overall, still Malfurion is not a terrible character.

- - - Updated - - -

Illidan, now partially a demon himself, standing atop the shrivelled body of another demon. When Illidan was known to suck power out of the living ever since War of the Ancients. When it was known that night elves, above all else, despised demons.

The only logical conclusion was that Illidan only joined the night elves to suck the power out of a powerful demon so he could again use fel magic. I'd have banished him too. The other choice was killing him.

Yes, because the alternative of Illidan causing massive floods that would have wiped out life in many areas and earthquakes that would have destroyed others (essentially a Cataclysm) would have been so much better because the Lich King *might* have died. Yes, I say might because you, know, boats exist too, he might have hoped on on, or a frost wyrm and restarted from another spot.

Like seriously, at this point using that logic I wonder why you don't also attack him for helping kill Ragnaros, in the end, Ragnaros would have wiped the naga!
    after he saved the forest from the dreadlord and the other demons corrupting it?
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

He got knaak'd, that's why.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kennedy View Post
    I really liked Malfurion in WC3. WoW really dropped the ball. Knack made everything worse. It's gotten bad, but he isn't really a Mary Sue though.

I don't know how you can say Garrosh was well written considering the whole bombing of Theramore directly contradicted his character in Cata.
    stonetalon was a screwed up. admitted by Garrosh's creator i believe
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by parlaa View Post
    Times change, so do Orcs.
    FTFY - You blew a golden opportunity for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by SmashingQuasar View Post
    Malfurion is one of the characters I hate the most in Warcraft's lore. He is responsible for so much destruction and pain around him he should have been put down years ago. If you don't even count how he treated his own brother (I don't want to have Malfurion as a brother, I'd rather have Judas), he always takes the WRONG decision about everything. First thing that comes in mind is his "Firelands invasion" leading to Hamuul Runetotem getting insanely burned because Malfurion was sitting AFK. The guy is so fucking worthless he knew well that staying too long in the Emerald Dream WILL lock him inside but somehow he was just way too careless/stupid/himself to get out when things went south, leading to another AFK phase where we did everything for him. And now in WoD? When you give him the remnant of chaos the guy just tells you basically: "Oh nice you did all the hard work putting down Archimonde and the Burning Legion invasion in Draenor but now I'm just going to run away to another one of the catastrophes I always provoke without EVEN telling you what you just found and how it is important (except it's another thing he fucked up years ago), but you got a moose, I like mooses."

Please just end him ASAP so we can finally get rid of his bullshit.
    dont forget how he treats Tyrande
    the "hush" thing
    going to sleep for 10,000
    wakes up to fight the legion then goes back to sleep. gets trapped, then later wakes up.
    then tells tyrande that she should let shandris die.

also the
    we should not retaliate crap
    also deciding night elves should stay mortal(this is one is a major kick in the teeth, seeing as there are conflicting stories on if night elves have trouble making babies or not. we do know tyrande cant have any.)
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In warcraft 3 he was pretty cool! Heck, everyone in WC3 was pretty cool!

Deleted
    after he saved the forest from the dreadlord and the other demons corrupting it?
    Did he? Look at Fellwood. What part of it is still non-corrupted?

"worst character written in Warcraft" is more than a little bit too far.

there are some absolutely horrendously written characters

Malfurion seems like a terrible character when analyzed outside of World of Warcraft, but within this game's story and lore... you are comparing him to characters such as Thrall and Me'dan, and suddenly he doesn't seem like that awful of a character in comparison.