Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

What's up with pro-Erdogan supporters who dont live in Turkey?

Over the past week we had demonstrations in Holland with journalists being assaulted and now Germany is pulling out 2700 law enforcers in order not to have a 10k people Pro-Erdogan march escalate. (thats 1 for every 4 turks...)

http://www.dw.com/en/controversy-ahe...gne/a-19430132 (reports other numbers but provides a backstory)

So what's with these pro-erdogan supporters that for some unapparent reason choose to reside in Germany and other western countries, while worshipping a dictator from afar? Most of em weren't even born in Turkey. Why do they choose to stay in a democratic country if they obviously prefer a dictatorship?
    Last edited by mmoc9478eb6901; 2016-07-31 at 05:41 PM.

You should put yourself in their shoes. The region is very unstable and a lot of terrorist attacks took place in turkey. they fear their lives in case of change. Much like bush supporters after 9/11.
    In the other hand power hungry politicians such as erdogan use this fear to expand their network through fear mongering.
    Ofcours there are a lot of people abusing the situation, but also many of the supporters seem to be very scared of disturbance in security in case of a regime change. ( which I think is not a very productive stance to take, but also can understand where they are coming from)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StarGazer91 View Post
    Simple: The ones protesting are Isis supporters, Erdogan is making Turkey into a Pro-Islamic state, as he has well known connections to Daesh.

I imagine the protests outside of Turkey is in retaliation of no country accepting him for Asylum during the Coup.
    I woulnd want to put IS on the same line as Erdogan though. Both are different shades of bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    Quote Originally Posted by Drazail View Post
    You should put yourself in their shoes. The region is very unstable and a lot of terrorist attacks took place in turkey. they fear their lives in case of change. Much like bush supporters after 9/11.
    In the other hand power hungry politicians such as erdogan use this fear to expand their network through fear mongering.
    I guess we still haven't learned from our own history. Doubt we ever will, it's forgotten way too easily.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a way, Erdogan represents a strong Turkey in a western-civilization dominated world. He appeals strongly to nationalists who don't want to see Turkey fade away. Misguided, imo, but understandable given the country's current position in the world.

Deleted
    More proof integration and multiculturalsim don't work. These people are Turks not Germans.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    In a way, Erdogan represents a strong Turkey in a western-civilization dominated world. He appeals strongly to nationalists who don't want to see Turkey fade away. Misguided, imo, but understandable given the country's current position in the world.
    This is a fine summarization. I was a bit shocked that this kind of accurate analysis came from you Kasierith.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    It doesnt quite explain why Turkish people living abroad their entire life are so nationalist.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    It doesnt quite explain why Turkish people living abroad their entire life are so nationalist.
    People who live abroad tend to be more nationalist on average. Also, Turks in Germany are descendants of a specific socio-economic group that migrated to Germany.

Deleted
    The funny part is that most young Turks who go to these demonstrations are born in Germany, don't speak fluent turkish and don't follow the rules of Islam except for the pork part because that's the only one that germans know and would notice.
    Germany has had a rather catastrophic immigration policy because political parties (mainly the conservative side) didn't want to fully commit to integrating people while at the same time not being able to stop immigration altogether.
    Friends of mine, who's grandparents immigrated from Turkey after WW2 told me that schools used to try and put most of the "foreign" children in the same class, so they could be among their peers (bc a kid who has Ghanaian parents definitely has so much in common with a 3rd gen Turkish kid) or that people still ask them where they come from and refuse to take "Frankfurt" or "Berlin" as an answer.
    It seems that after being told for years that they are not german some young turks have gone to the other extreme and are now declaring to be proud Turks even though they know about as much or less about the culture of their country as anyone who has spent a semester abroad in Istanbul or Ankara.
    It's pretty silly tbh, i can kind of understand why a young person would grow defiant after being called a foreigner in his birth country but it's still pretty dumb.
    Most well educated german Turks either succeed and don't care or leave the country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    They are nutbags, should just move back to Turkey if they like it so much, and stop harassing the Turks who integrated properly.

Fuck them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drazail View Post
    Ofcours there are a lot of people abusing the situation, but also many of the supporters seem to be very scared of disturbance in security in case of a regime change. ( which I think is not a very productive stance to take, but also can understand where they are coming from)
    We are talking about Turks living in west Europa, they don't really need to worry about security that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    People who live abroad tend to be more nationalist on average. Also, Turks in Germany are descendants of a specific socio-economic group that migrated to Germany.
    Just tell them. What we got were the Anatolian hillbillies.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    This is a fine summarization. I was a bit shocked that this kind of accurate analysis came from you Kasierith.
    Not all Floridamans are crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Runenwächter View Post
    Just tell them. What we got were the Anatolian hillbillies.
    Germans wanted workers they got workers. If they've asked from USA, they would get rednecks. This is the socio-economic reality of the world.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Master of Coins View Post
    What's up with the pro-Trump supporters?

Same kind of reasoning and motivation, isn't it?

Nationalism, a great USA (Turkey) and an absurd self-pleasuring sense of grandeur and empty chest-stomping rethoric.
    I have yet to see people in Turkey protest by the thousands in favour of trump.
    Or are you not getting what this is about?

Maybe an example closer to your doorstep: ten thousands of latin-americans, living in america their entire life, demonstrating in favour of a Mexican dictator.
    Last edited by mmoc9478eb6901; 2016-07-31 at 05:40 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    So what's with these pro-erdogan supporters that for some unapparent reason choose to reside in Germany and other western countries, while worshipping a dictator from afar? Most of em weren't even born in Turkey. Why do they choose to stay in a democratic country if they obviously prefer a dictatorship?
    There are almost 3 million people with Turkish connection that live in Germany, Turkish citizens who work and live there. German citizens with at least one Turkish parent, etc

That only ten thousand demonstrating for Erdogan of 3 million show how low suport he have from German-Turks. Not all the flag of the same typ, this is not a spontaneous demonstration, this is suported from Erdogan in a attempt to exaggerate his popular support.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    They are nutbags, should just move back to Turkey if they like it so much, and stop harassing the Turks who integrated properly.

Fuck them.
    Yeah, fuck them.

We need to get rid of dual citizenship as soon as possible. Make them chose.

I understand that the situation in Turkey is dire, and it makes sense that people usually flock to a "strong" leader in rough times (hi George Bush), but we simply can't have people in Germany demonstrate for a legitimate dictator. A shameful sight really.
    Last edited by Malacras; 2016-07-31 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    There are almost 3 million people with Turkish connection that live in Germany, Turkish citizens who work and live there. German citizens with at least one Turkish parent, etc

That only ten thousand demonstrating for Erdogan of 3 million show how low suport he have from German-Turks. Not all the flag of the same typ, this is not a spontaneous demonstration, this is suported from Erdogan in a attempt to exaggerate his popular support.
    Only a minority of people bother with actually going to protests etc. For each one that goes, you might have 100 who agree, but don't bother going.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malacras View Post
    Yeah, fuck them.

We need to get rid of dual citizenship as soon as possible. Make them chose.

I understand that the situation in Turkey is dire, and it makes sense that people usually flock to a "strong" leader in rough times (hi George Bush), but we simply can't have people in Germany demonstrate for a legitimate dictator. A shameful sight really.
    Force them to choose, and watch as %90 of them choose German citizenship. Fuck them indeed, those fuckers go to the embassies during election and vote for a dictator under whose rule they don't have to live. We who live in Turkey are the ones that have to put up with him.

Deleted
    No idea what's going on in their heads only thing I know is they are going to be a problem.
    They are almost literaly Erdogans sleeper army. The militery coup also has a lot of paralells with the NSDAP history, back then the Reichstag was burning and they used that to restrict peoples rights and get rid of their political adversaries. Seems very familiar, doesn't it?