10+ Year Old Account

[Hero Concept] Magatha Grimtotem

Magatha Grimtotem
    The Elder Crone
    Ranged Assassin

Updated: 4-11-18

Magatha Grimtotem is one of only a handful of significant Tauren lore figures. She is one of the most powerful Shamans in WoW lore. She does not ask the elements for their help; she TAKES what she wants. Her greatest weapon, however, is her mind as she is one of the most cunning and devious individuals in Azeroth. As a master Elemental Shaman, her spells will reflect that cunning combined with the raw power she has harnessed in her years of experience.

When I originally created Magatha's skill set, I wasn't really sure what I wanted out of her. It was mostly just me having an idea and wanting to get the idea out. I had a general idea of a concept, but wasn't sure how to execute it properly. As time passed, I played more HotS and began working through the concept a bit more. I became more familiar with how certain roles played and I think I worked out how best to adjust her. A few of her abilities get changed around, but the biggest change is her trait. Her new trait is inspired from the same vein as Garrosh and Zul'Jin; high risk, high reward.

As an older character, Magatha would be a bit on the squishy side. She'd have a low health bar making her vulnerable to characters who can capitalize on bursting her down before her trait can cause serious damage. She would also be quite mana hungry; with great power comes great mana cost. These problems could be alleviated through survival talents, but would best be balanced by taking away some of her oomph.

She'll have a slow, but powerful auto attack (think Stukov.) One talent idea I had was to perhaps turn her AA into spell damage instead of physical. Could also add a splash effect at 25% the main target. Magatha shouldn't have too many issues with heroes she can keep at range. It's the heroes who can get up close to her reliably, especially if they have a spell shield, who will be her biggest concern.

D - Elder Crone - Passive Trait
    • For every 1% of Magatha's health missing, she gains 1% spell power up to a maximum of 75%.
    • Magatha's base spells do nothing by themselves. She must combine her spells together to use them. (Q + W, Q + R, E + R, etc.) Casting one of her base abilities will prime it, creating new spells based on which element she's primed.

Q - Fire
    • Combine with Water to cast Blistering Steam. Narrow, long-range, frontal cone damage ability. Segmented into three parts, deals more damage in the area closest to Magatha and less at it's furthest. Possible talents include: increased area for decreased range, more damage, blinds close targets.
    • Combine with Air to cast Heatwave. Stationary circular AoE. Short duration, then dissipates. Damages all enemies inside. Deals more damage to enemies in the center. Possible talents include: increased size and time, increased damage to non-Heroes, partial mana refund.
    • Combine with Earth to cast Molten Fury. Summon a Molten Fury to rapidly charge at the selected enemy Hero. The Fury will charge at and ferociously attack the fixated hero for 15 seconds or until killed; it is vulnerable to CC. The Fury's attacks count as spell damage. Level 20 upgrade - The Fury gains 50 armor (spell and physical) and can no longer be CCed.

W - Water
    • Combine with Fire - See above.
    • Combine with Air to cast Thunderstorm. AoE knockback from Magatha's position, instant cast, short cooldown, low damage.
    • Combine with Earth to cast Mud Slide. Creates a massive mudslide in a large targeted block. Enemies caught in the blast take moderate damage and all enemies who enter the area within fifteen seconds are rooted for a few seconds. Enemies that have already been rooted by the Mudslide will instead be slowed while inside the area.

E - Air
    • See Fire.
    • See Water.
    • Combine with Earth to cast Dust Devil. Summon a Dust Devil that travels along a path. It will repeatedly patrol that path back to its spawn point until it expires; blinding and damaging all enemies in it's way. Moderate damage.

R - Earth
    • Magatha's only Heroic ability. Two charges on a thirty second recharge. Combine with the other elements for devastating attacks. See other elements for details.
    Last edited by De Lupe; 2018-04-12 at 02:48 AM.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

15+ Year Old Account
    I couldn't begin to think about balancing a hero with so many abilities and so many uses

But

This is a BRILLIANT idea

One suggestion would be to add an active component to the trait to clear the current combo entries in case you make a mistake or need to quickly change what you were doing
    Last edited by Nikkaszal; 2016-07-30 at 08:20 AM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Soo... Invoker?

So how exactly do you "combine". Is it like, you press Q and nothing happens until you press W or E and so on?

And does every individual ability have it's own CD, or do the elements have a CD? Could I drop an Inferno Cyclone(Fire and Air) on someone then immediately hit them with Blistering Steam(Fire and Water), or does using the Inferno Cylone put Fire and Air on CD so until one of them is up you are limited to your Water heroic?

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    Soo... Invoker?
    Quoted for truth. Some of the abilities are the exact same with some WoW flavor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rothg View Post
    Quoted for truth. Some of the abilities are the exact same with some WoW flavor.
    Soo... Invoker?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    I couldn't begin to think about balancing a hero with so many abilities and so many uses
    But
    This is a BRILLIANT idea
    One suggestion would be to add an active component to the trait to clear the current combo entries in case you make a mistake or need to quickly change what you were doing
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    So how exactly do you "combine". Is it like, you press Q and nothing happens until you press W or E and so on?
    And does every individual ability have it's own CD, or do the elements have a CD? Could I drop an Inferno Cyclone(Fire and Air) on someone then immediately hit them with Blistering Steam(Fire and Water), or does using the Inferno Cylone put Fire and Air on CD so until one of them is up you are limited to your Water heroic?

@Nerevar and Rothg - I don't know who or what Invoker is, so I can't answer that.

@Nikka - I thought about cancelling it by just pressing it a second time, but cancelling with the trait is actually a MUCH better idea. Stops you from cancelling by accidental spam.

@Stormcall - The initial idea is that the single elements would not have cooldowns (other than Earth,) but the combination spells would. So you could shoot off all of your Fire abilities back to back, but then you'd be locked out of Fire until one of them comes off CD. Perhaps a GCD for Earth casts would be appropriate. And yes, that is how to combine them; Q + W, etc.

I know the idea needs some work, which is one of the reasons I shared it. But I think this could work with the right tweaks. The overall idea is that she would be an equal and opposite to Medihv. He protects and aids his allies, while she punishes and slaughters her enemies with a lot of debuts utility. She's not meant to be an Assassin and won't have any burst abilities.
    Last edited by De Lupe; 2016-07-31 at 03:09 AM.
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    @Nerevar and Rothg - I don't know who or what Invoker is, so I can't answer that.
    http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Invoker
    Basically a hero from Dota and Dota 2 with the exact gameplay mechanics you describe. I'm pretty sure Blizzard will add a hero like that sooner or later considering where they're getting their inspiration from.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Invoker
    Basically a hero from Dota and Dota 2 with the exact gameplay mechanics you describe. I'm pretty sure Blizzard will add a hero like that sooner or later considering where they're getting their inspiration from.
    Ah, well, coincidence then. I don't play either game. So no, I didn't base the idea from anything in that game.
    Last edited by De Lupe; 2016-07-31 at 11:13 AM.

So...invoker ripoff?

Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    [MENTION=976517]
    I know the idea needs some work, which is one of the reasons I shared it. But I think this could work with the right tweaks. The overall idea is that she would be an equal and opposite to Medihv. He protects and aids his allies, while she punishes and slaughters her enemies with a lot of debuts utility. She's not meant to be an Assassin and won't have any burst abilities.
    The combination needs to work differently for HOTS though.

The hero could have 4 slots , D , 1,2,3 which represent active elements, and pressing them in sequence activates a combo.

Example:
    Press 1 then 2, 3 and D element buttons will be highlighted while 1 will be deactivated.
    Press D, your Q or W or E will do earth+fire combos and the respective abilities will go on CD, respectively.

Also, make it so that Q only works solo if you have pressed 1, and the same for W and 2 and E and 3, respectively. So you could have a 'stance dance' style without making combos with less powerful abilities.

Like Nerevar has said, since "Invoker" already exists in DOTA/DOTA 2, I think Blizzard would be able to add a hero like that so your idea could work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kencloudli View Post
    Like Nerevar has said, since "Invoker" already exists in DOTA/DOTA 2, I think Blizzard would be able to add a hero like that so your idea could work.
    Glad to hear it isn't a complete waste of my brain cells. ^_^

Deleted
    I see someone has played too much Magicka.

Sounds preety interesting.

Yep I thought of Invoker and Magicka straight away.
    I pretty much only ever played Inv/Pudge, and this is a pretty straight forward hero in comparison. Remembering 10 abilities in a combination including all 3 QWE simultaneously is considerably more difficult than 6 with only two elements at any one time.

To elaborate on the OPs idea. What made Invoker particularly powerful back when I played DOTA2 was an item that reduced his CD on invoking spells.
    You haven't mentioned this at all (I'm amazed you have 'thought' of a hero with a similar complexity, and style with some spells being almost a mirror image elsewhere with no reference points to either games mentioned in the thread). However, giving a hero access to all 6 spells, one after another with no CD refresh, would generally be OP fitting with your theme of her having respectable damage.
    Invoker had to invest a lot of time and effort into getting his ultimate down to a 2s CD which is what he used to create spells. To put it into perspective at rank 1 ultimate it had a 22s CD.
    Essentially he could not use more than 3 spells at a time, and with DOTA2 being built around items and levels in skills if you invested heavily in one direction his other spells would be much weaker.
    Last edited by Zelendria; 2016-08-10 at 03:53 PM.