Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Why is this thread 24 pages long? It is basically an eternal loop of the same 5 types of comments by different people. Even the OP decided it is too much work to read past the third page, which isn't really that much of a surprise all things considered.

15+ Year Old Account
    Welcome to being an adult.

Suck it up, kid.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Why is this thread 24 pages long? It is basically an eternal loop of the same 5 types of comments by different people. Even the OP decided it is too much work to read past the third page, which isn't really that much of a surprise all things considered.
    Pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by dwarfkicker View Post
    You are what's wrong with a lot of the youth today. "Give me what I want/need, but don't make me earn it." You've got a rough life ahead of you, kid.

If I were to assume, you're parents probably coddled you. And in doing so deprived you of the tools necessary to developing a work ethic of any kind.

I got news for you, unless you're born with a silver spoon in your mouth, the things we want and need in life take time and money. Sink your time into a job and put the money you earn towards the future you want for yourself.

Grow the hell up while you're at it.
    Yeah no.
    This ain't the 80's or the 60's as i said before only hard work gets you no where..

I'm crashing this thread-with no survivors.

Deleted
    Move to Europe, they love people like you there.

no one really wants to work, you kinda just do it
    try to find something you might be relatively interested in doing, and can tolerate doing for 8 hours a day

thats only advice i can really give

10+ Year Old Account
    You do not need a job. You need to be able to earn money. You can do many things outside of a 9-5 to make money, like collecting for a bookie or selling drugs. Plenty of more legit ways too like selling shit on Ebay, or fixing old cars for resale.
    I like sandwiches

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyAmIhere View Post
    I need some advice on this. I don't want a job. I don't want to work 5 days or more a week from 9am-5pm slaving away. I've got some plans for the future about landing an apprenticeship or teaching myself and becoming an indie game developer but the one thing that seems to bother me is using up a lot time in my daily life devoted to working. I'm 19 years old and in Education but before these two years are up I need to seriously start making choices about how I'm going to solve this dilemma. I've never been obsessed with money and need help.

How do I get a job that requires barely any time or effort yet gets me the necessities in life? I don't want to feel like I'm wasting time. Anybody got some advice?
    If you are willing to put in a lot of work for a few years in order to have a fairly easy life without having to work 5 days a week I'd suggest going to nursing school and then becoming a non-specialized floor/float nurse*. You can work per diem once or twice a week, get paid fairly well for your time (more with experience or specialization), and spend the rest of your time soaking up the sweet sunshine, doing wtf you want, and shit posting on MMO-Champ.

Work smarter, not harder.

*Radiology tech is another one to look at but I think demand has gone down in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Zero View Post
    Bingo.

You may not *always* want to be working at a certain time, but overall - I like to do the lottery test.

Which is basically 'if I won the lottery right now and never had to work again, would I still want to do this?'. If you can answer 'yes', then you've found your 'thing'.
    Yes, of course I would, at least while I'm young and willing to learn and improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Zero View Post
    I...would hate this.

I'm not a workaholic by any means, but I'd rather be insanely busy than bored.
    why would i be bored, i can bring laptop and do w/e the fuck i want all night, i just prefer to sleep.
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    Where would that money come from? I knew someone like him, he'll be living in his parents' basement at 40 and asking for a pizza allowance. He could never get a girl and became fat and friendless.
    Actually you don't know me. I'm planning on getting a job after my education is finished. Let me clarify for you. I wanted a job that got me the basic necessities in life. I'm not looking for expensive holidays or buying the latest "trendy" items so there is no need for me to work a ridiculous amount of money that I won't need. I was simple asking for an alternative that would let me work less for a smaller amount of money. No need to be a Judgemental prick.

Thank you Mod for infracting me yet not the countless others insulting me in this thread. So many people taking my original post out of context. I said I wanted a job that only got me the basics in life, a roof, food and a computer, electricity. Jobs that pay less have considerably less hours. I'm not interested in expensive holidays or over the top cars or expensive housing. So try to stop using me as a god damn scape goat for you to vent over things that you have taken out of context. I wasn't asking how to get money without getting a job. I was asking what kinds of jobs I could get that didn't require me slave away unnecessarily for an overabundance of money I do not need.

Infracted - minor flaming
    Last edited by mmoc84fd1101e4; 2016-08-03 at 09:42 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Right back at you, Dan.

If you don't think that a network of contacts, or good social skills, or the ability to interact well with others aren't the most important things for anyone - in pretty much any field - to have under their belt, then I don't know what to tell you.

I don't know why you think that "IT" is some special snowflake of a field where everyone is perfectly judged only on their merit and there's no social element to anything, either.
    Try having poor coding skills and see if that gets you far in terms of a IT career.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    If you actually believe this, you're solely mistaken. Your arguments hinge on scenarios where people have either one or the other, which is pretty damn narrow.

You need both, but when it comes down to the nitty gritty, social skills will get you over the hump. With the right networks, it doesn't matter how much better you are than the other guy.

It really doesn't even take a lot to be an IT. I could do your job. You're glorified geeks for the most part. So pretending that anything that isn't silicon valley or anything else high on that ladder is some kind of special profession is kind of a joke.
    I'll take your blank statement of no verified knowledge with the face value that it deserves ; Your claim to authority in words, mean jack shit in the face of having no knowledge in the subject.

That is why i can work in it, and you can't.

- - - Updated - - -

1) Find where I said that you could (reliably) get a job JUST by being friendly or something.

2) You can't swing a dead cat without finding inept people in all positions, in all fields. Don't pretend as if IT is some special exception.
    Look, i honestly don't mind you in person, but this is what you wrote;

"Yeah. Sadly, social skills and networks seem to trump all else in the working world. You can be the best [whatever] in the world and you'll still get passed up or ignored if there's someone else competing with you who is really popular, personable, has a great smile, or whatever else."

The reason i put emphasis on IT, is because it's a business that is run on efficiency. If you run bad code, you are gonna cost companies money. Money that is spent, on you being inept.

Now, you could be friendly, you could have a great smile - But does that produce better products? Does that render it, so that companies, will have better code? Less Work burden to fix? (Considering that your mess is gonna get cleaned up by someone else)

Being social, is a leverage. It might give you that edge, it might tip the favor in your balance. There is no disputing that.

But what you literally said, is that you could be THE BEST at something, and that you'll be beaten by the virtue of someone else being able to smile.

That is a ludicrious statement. It's outrageous.

Deleted
    Except he's absolutely right.

There's nothing incorrect about that statement. Social skills, networks, and so on are a huge asset. Absolutely huge. You can be a better coder than a co-worker - within reason - and if you're both going after the same promotion or something and they're friends with upper management, or relate better to other co-workers, or have a strong set of relationships while you're a "lone wolf" or something...yes, they're very likely to get that promotion over you.

The effect is magnified even further if you're both looking for a new position where no one in the business knows about your "superior skills".
    1) Please explain logic, in the assertion of saying he is absolutely right, when you have 0 assertion of his knowledge. You are basically doing a call on Agenda, social status and what not.

That is THE OPPOSITE, of what a rational, logical verdict would require.

2) Again, that really depends on the situation you are in.

Let's make a parallel to WoW.

You have a Social guild that raids for fun, and a Hardcore raiding guild.

You might be in the Social guild for social reasons ; You still raid, but your primary function is to be social, because you like being there, it's your friends, it's your buddies - You're all having a good time, laughing and derping around.

Whilst, when you are in the hardcore raiding guild ; You might be nothing more than a number in the crowd, but the reason you stick there, the reason you are there, is because you are a machine at DPS. Your DPS is so phenomenal, that you are automatically favored.

You might say something on TS, because you are required, but outside of just saying what you should, you don't. Your social skills are not put to the test.

So, considering the two structures ; What metrics, do you suppose, would get you further?

In a Social environment, of course being Social would grant you better boons - You're funny, charming, etc ; people love having you there.

But in a business environment, you are not hired, to be funny. You are not there, to make people smile, laugh.

You might be put in a situation, where you are not even required to socialize with people. The realest medium, that you channel, in terms of a direct coding environment, is basically your code. That is what you are, that is what you are hired for - Your skillset. You are NOT there, because you had a great smile - That's not why you were hired.

And again, you are speaking out of a situation that is more of a "buddy system" ; But a business that is reliant on your good praxis, on good efficiency, stands to serve to be a environment, where your social skills are less important.

Again, i repeat, there are occurences, of people, BEING REALLY SHIT, at being social - But KEEP THEIR JOBS, by virtue of how good they are at it.

When you can be a fullblown racist, but you are allowed to be a public figure for holding seminars of Programming, that is telling. It means, that you can be a public figure, as long as you do your damn job correctly.

And i'd like to add, what do you believe Companies, are built for? Fun? Joy? Work morale, and work environment, are things that need to work on the basis of furthering efficiency ; i.e, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

So, as long as you are actively not f'cking the social environment up, it is a boon that you have a great track record, that you have proven skills that you can show.
    Last edited by mmoc411114546c; 2016-08-04 at 12:12 AM.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    I'll take your blank statement of no verified knowledge with the face value that it deserves ; Your claim to authority in words, mean jack shit in the face of having no knowledge in the subject.

That is why i can work in it, and you can't.

- - - Updated - - -

Look, i honestly don't mind you in person, but this is what you wrote;

"Yeah. Sadly, social skills and networks seem to trump all else in the working world. You can be the best [whatever] in the world and you'll still get passed up or ignored if there's someone else competing with you who is really popular, personable, has a great smile, or whatever else."

The reason i put emphasis on IT, is because it's a business that is run on efficiency. If you run bad code, you are gonna cost companies money. Money that is spent, on you being inept.

Now, you could be friendly, you could have a great smile - But does that produce better products? Does that render it, so that companies, will have better code? Less Work burden to fix? (Considering that your mess is gonna get cleaned up by someone else)

Being social, is a leverage. It might give you that edge, it might tip the favor in your balance. There is no disputing that.

But what you literally said, is that you could be THE BEST at something, and that you'll be beaten by the virtue of someone else being able to smile.

That is a ludicrious statement. It's outrageous.
    Meh,

If society blew a lot of steam and hype into my ass i'd be conceited too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except he's absolutely right.

There's nothing incorrect about that statement. Social skills, networks, and so on are a huge asset. Absolutely huge. You can be a better coder than a co-worker - within reason - and if you're both going after the same promotion or something and they're friends with upper management, or relate better to other co-workers, or have a strong set of relationships while you're a "lone wolf" or something...yes, they're very likely to get that promotion over you.

The effect is magnified even further if you're both looking for a new position where no one in the business knows about your "superior skills".

But it's absolutely true. The world is full of people who are probably "better" at things than people in better paying jobs, higher positions, and so on. Largely due to connections, networks, and so on.
    Right in what regard?

Thought that even you would've had a beef with that post as an IT yourself.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebalina View Post
    Yeah no.
    This ain't the 80's or the 60's as i said before only hard work gets you no where..
    If the area you live in is economically depressed, move somewhere that isn't. I moved from Connecticut to Wisconsin, night and day difference. Hard work got my ass promoted at work so I'm makin almost 25$ an hour while sorry ass emo mofuckers who don't bust their ass make 13$.Taking care of my shit showed my landlord how boss my skills at home repair/maintenance are and now I live for free and manage his stupid ass property. Live for free so long as I mow the lawn in the summer and shovel the snow off the sidewalks in the winter. If stupid ass fucks break some shit, it's 100$ to lift a finger to help them and 20$ an hour after to fix the problem. Hard work just let me and my girl purchase my second, but our first multi-family home fucking cash.

Carpe Diem or bust

Deleted
    ....what?

Knowing people and getting referrals is a fast track to getting into guilds more often than not. I've been invited for no other reason than that before.

Again, you still have to be proficient, but you can easily get in over someone else who objectively performs a little better if you know officers, or got a referral from someone important, and so on.

"Someone who is anti-social has a job, therefore social skills and networks are irrelevant."

Yeah, that's not really how facts work.
    You said he is absolutely right, and i ask you, how can you say, that he is absolutely right, in his statements, when he is trying to assert that he could work within IT ; Without any assertion of proven knowledge.

If you believe, that someone is ABSOLUTELY RIGHT, to claim such things, when they have no proven or asserted skills, you are doing a judgement on Social Agenda. Not on facts. Not on logic. A social verdict call.

And look, you might work your way through mediums in terms of Social ways - And that might be legit, for you, in what you did;

Tho, i can tell you, from personal experience, the 10+ years i have raided in WoW, most of it came down to merit of how much i raided, what i raided ; And i was personally headhunted for SWP - I had a standing offer of in exchange of a Server transfer, i'd be given highest loot priority in BT runs for 4 weeks.

That was cold hard business. That was straight up, they needed someone to do the job, i was their man - They came to me, offering me, a job offer, cause i could do what they wanted of me.

That's how business works. You are hired, to do a job. To fill a function.

The higher you go, in the echilon of skills, the stronger the incentive of your skills is, comparedly to your social skills.

And whilst you may not wish to see the full logic, let me explain it to you, AGAIN;

People, with TERRIBLE social track records, GET TO BE PUBLIC FIGURES ; POSITIONS THAT INHERITLY ARE VERY SOCIAL - ON MERITS, OF HOW GOOD THEY ARE AT THEIR JOB.

Okay? Let that sink in.

They have no order of business, being in a social position, other than the virtue of how good they are with their job. That's what their function IS.

A business, is not run on your local buddies. Your boss, most likely, is not your friend. It is not someone you know.

And i can assure you, if someone gives you the position of holding over a major project, in terms of business, because they figured you're a "cool guy" ; They are doing TERRIBLE practice. It's inheritly economically stupid. And you are running a business.

Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    Meh,

If society blew a lot of steam and hype into my ass i'd be conceited too.
    You are a nice guy, really, you come off as someone who is socially clever. I like that, i do.

But i can't agree, to that you'd do Coding, with social skills. That is all.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I'm not sure why he's acting like working in IT - and HIM in particular - are somehow super special snowflakes by virtue of being in that field.

I mean, when I programmed my first decent video game I was pretty hype over myself...but I was also 12 years old, so I guess that's natural at that age.
    I get that you are acting smug, on the internet - But try to keep to arguments ; You are making yourself look like a fool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I'm not sure why he's acting like working in IT - and HIM in particular - are somehow super special snowflakes by virtue of being in that field.

I mean, when I programmed my first decent video game I was pretty hype over myself...but I was also 12 years old, so I guess that's natural at that age.

Word

But yeah dude, IT loses its hype when you see any IT Department in the cooperate world.

I Sit at my desk and wonder just what they do aside from sending emails to "warn" me about phishing attempts or tell me that I can't have Git/Github on my work laptop even though i'd like to use it to better manage reports and shit. Seriously, I don't even need them when there's something wrong with my laptop, because I read too much as it is and I read a few books on computers one day.

Maybe IT is just a broad term describing a ton of things, but so far i'm not impressed.