Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

"Blue Lives matter bill" goes into effect in Louisiana

LOUISIANA — A new law goes into effect Monday that expands Louisiana’s hate crime statute to include the targeting of police officers, firefighters and EMS personnel, CNN reports.

**For previous coverage, watch the video player above**

“Coming from a family of law enforcement officers, I have great respect for the work that they do and the risks they take to ensure our safety,” CNN reports Edwards said after signing the bill. “They deserve every protection that we can give them.”

The bill, Act 184, is also called the Blue Lives Matter bill.

For the entire bill, click here.

The bill was passed weeks before three officers were killed and three others were injured in an attack on a Baton Rouge highway. An ex-marine ambushed the officers after reportedly spending days planning his attack.

The Baton Rouge ambush followed on the heels of the Dallas, Texas, attack on officers, both cases involving skilled gunmen and multiple casualties.

CNN reports that under the new law, if a defendant is convicted of a hate crime, they could face additional penalties, more time in prison and fines.

Louisiana was the first state to add one’s chosen vocation to the hate crime list, CNN reports. Prior, hate crimes were considered as such if the victims were targeted for their race, ethnicity, religion, gender or sexual orientation.
    I'm glad for this. Hopefully other states will follow suit.

http://fox8.com/2016/08/01/blue-live...-in-louisiana/

Don't most of the people who commit these crimes end up dead? Not really seeing a need to add more crimes to the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Don't most of the people who commit these crimes end up dead? Not really seeing a need to add more crimes to the list.
    Yeah I thought killing a police officer was a capital crime in those states with the death penalty and life for those without... Really all the law seems to do would be to add EMTs and Firefighters to that list.

So, the goal is to create as many protected and special classes as possible... got it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Southern states passing regressive and inane legislation? Must be a day that ends in y.

Police are not a protected class and should not be regarded as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    Yeah I thought killing a police officer was a capital crime in those states with the death penalty and life for those without... Really all the law seems to do would be to add EMTs and Firefighters to that list.
    Alright, that's fine then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    Just clarifying, it's a bill on hate crimes not murder

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Agreed, the less of this pseudo-segregation laws the better, hate crime should either be a crime or not.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

I think this is going to be a bad law. For one, I think it'll be difficult to add any meaningful protection for EMS and Fire Departments. Secondly, it'll basically wildly strengthen the contempt of cop way of doing things.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I agree it's pointless and disagree with the concept of a "protected class" in general, as someone from Louisiana, I rather em pass pointless legislation than do what Louisiana politicians usually do ... line their pockets with cash.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a dangerous precedent, because it could be, in perspective, used to silence those who dislike the elements of the government, passing their vocal concerns for "hate crimes".

Then again, perhaps, that was the purpose of the bill in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

I don't think Louisiana knows what a hate crime is...

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    I think this is going to be a bad law. For one, I think it'll be difficult to add any meaningful protection for EMS and Fire Departments. Secondly, it'll basically wildly strengthen the contempt of cop way of doing things.
    Really?

Why would protecting people draw contempt?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    I don't think most people do.

Still, I'm greatly enjoying watching the concern.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    This is a dangerous precedent, because it could be, in perspective, used to silence those who dislike the elements of the government, passing their vocal concerns for "hate crimes".

Then again, perhaps, that was the purpose of the bill in the first place.
    Isn't the bill in regards to killing police, EMS, firefighters.. and not just being mean to them?

10+ Year Old Account
    So say a cop gets fired, can he sue the department because he was fired for being a cop? I can't wait to see the first court case where this is the basis for the lawsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Southern states passing regressive and inane legislation? Must be a day that ends in y.

To rephrase a classic...
    "what you just wrote is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
    As a warrior, one of our most crucial tasks is... protection. We are the shield of the Horde, and we keep our weaker brethren safe. If you are to join in our ranks, then you must prove your mettle to me. -Veteran Uzzek

Another southern style of legislation that just doesnt work, oh and in typical right wing fashion why dont we see allivesmatter everywhere in this thread? oh thats right it isnt BLM in this case if they had made a stance on murdering blacks being a hate crime i fully expect them to been out in full force with the alllivesmatter racist nonsense

Seems kind of pointless but I guess its a nice gesture

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    hate crime
    noun
    noun: hate crime; plural noun: hate crimes
    a crime motivated by racial, sexual, or other prejudice, typically one involving violence.
    People are attacking cops because they are cops. That qualifies as a hate crime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ControlWarrior View Post
    To rephrase a classic...
    "what you just wrote is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
    So you don't dispute the fact that police are not or should not be a protected class. Good to know.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ControlWarrior View Post
    To rephrase a classic...
    Thats funny.