Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Baltimore mother shot by police, holding son hostage, post video on FB

A Baltimore County woman who held a shotgun, and at times her 5-year-old son, in her arms, was killed by police after a lengthy standoff that appeared in live online segments she was posting to social media.

Korryn Gaines, 23, was killed Monday and the child was injured after police arrived at her Randallstown home at about 9 a.m. to serve outstanding warrants for her and Kareem Kiean Courtney, 39, who lived in the residence.

Courtney was wanted for assault; Gaines was wanted for failing to appear in court on charges of disorderly conduct, resisting arrest, and traffic charges.

Local Crime & Safety Alerts

Breaking news about public safety in and around D.C.

Police said they had successfully petitioned Facebook to temporarily deactivate Gaines’s account as they negotiated with her, after arguing that the filming and responses were making negotiations more dangerous. Police said some followers had been urging her to resist as they watched parts of the incident.

Gaines’s son was struck by a bullet or shrapnel in an exchange of gunfire at the end of the five-hour standoff and remained hospitalized in good condition Tuesday, according to authorities. It was not clear where the boy was, in relation to his mother, when she was shot, police said Tuesday.

Officers serving the warrants had knocked at the door of the home but received no reply, according to an account from Baltimore County Police Chief Jim Johnson.

But officers could hear a man, a woman, and a crying child inside, the chief said.

Johnson said police obtained a key to the home from a landlord. When they opened the door, they saw Gaines sitting on the floor with the boy and aiming a shotgun at police, the chief said. Officers retreated to the hallway, he said, and began an “hours-long dialogue” with Gaines.

At about 3 p.m., according to the sequence Johnson described, Gaines pointed the gun at the officers and said she would kill them if they did not retreat or leave.

A police officer fired a shot; she fired back with multiple rounds and officers then fired three times, killing her, Gaines said.

Police could not say whether her son was hit by a bullet fired by authorities or his mother. “We know the child, as a 5-year-old would, was moving about,” Johnson said.
    Baltimore County Police give news conference on the fatal shooting of Korryn Gaines
    Embed Share
    Play Video4:06
    Baltimore County Police held a news conference on August 1 about the fatal shooting of 23-year-old Korryn Gaines, a black woman killed by police in Randallstown. Officers were trying to serve warrants at the apartment when they said Gaines pointed a gun at them and threatened to kill them during an hours-long standoff. A five-year-old boy was taken to the hospital with a gunshot wound. (Baltimore County Police)

Gaines owned the shotgun legally, according to police.

Courtney left the house with a younger boy shortly after officers arrived to serve the warrant, according to police, and later was arrested on the warrant for assault and released on his own recognizance.

But Gaines stayed and recorded live video of the encounter that she posted online. .

Johnson said Gaines had “anti-government views” but it is unclear if she was part of any specific movement.

Gaines also filmed the encounter with police in March that brought them to her door on Monday.

According to a police report from the event, which police released after the shooting, she was stopped when an officer saw that instead of a license plate she had a piece of cardboard on her vehicle. The cardboard declared, “Any Government official who compromises this pursuit to happiness and right to travel, will be criminally responsible and fined, as this is a natural right and freedom.”

Gaines, then refused to give police her license and registration, according to the report, saying they had no right to stop her. Police say she told them that if they wanted her to leave the car, they would have to “murder” her, according to the report.

Two children were in the car, according to the report. In one video, an officer is seen moving a child off Gaines’s lap while another grabs her arm.

She was ultimately removed from the car and arrested, suffering a minor cut on her finger in the process.

While waiting for a medic to arrive, Gaines shouted to her son to fight and bite the police, they said.

The victim’s aunt, Shannon Mcgee-Gaines, said in a interview Tuesday that an inaccurate portrait was emerging of her niece, but that she did not feel she was in a position to share details.

“She was intelligent, strong, determined, beautiful, she was a dedicated mother, an awesome friend. She was determined to enlighten people — there’s not enough accolades I can give her,” Gaines said. “There’s a lot that people don’t know.”

A body camera program began in July in Baltimore County, but police said there is no footage of this incident. The program is in the first stage of training with 50 cameras deployed among the 1,400 planned to be in place, the department said in a statement.

Sheldon Greenberg, an expert on police protocol at Johns Hopkins University said,decisions during hostage standoffs focus on the threat posed by the person with the gun, not the age of parties in a situation.

“The fact that it’s a small child or someone elderly, from the point of view of looking at it in the aftermath, is emotional,” Greenberg said. “A hostage negotiator may use discussion of the child in a negotiation. But at the point of a police action, them having to wrestle the person down or even shoot the person, that’s after all considerations have been made.”

He said that if a child is separate from the person with the gun, police may try to coax him or her to safety. But if the child is with the armed suspect, trying to address him or her directly could “exacerbate the situation.”

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...5-hurt-n621461
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...856_story.html
    Crazy people are already coming out defending this woman.

How can any person point a gun at police and expect not to be fired on?

The video she posted with her son is disgusting.

I could give you the truth but I would be banned for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zormis View Post

Reasonable person: The cops were doing their job to serve outstanding warrants. She resisted with threats of force, and then exacerbated the situation with keeping her kid near her and posted the details on social media to rile up the mob.

#BLM: White cops invade home of black woman, kill her and wound her 5-year old son. Fuck da police.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like she was really into that stupid "free inhabitant" movement.

Hopefully the kid recovers and ends up with someone stable.

Quote Originally Posted by Zormis View Post

Oh trust me. The people on this site will do just that.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Sounds like she was really into that stupid "free inhabitant" movement.

Hopefully the kid recovers and ends up with someone stable.
    Could be the Uhuru movement(and it's many variations)_ as well...they are kind of similar in many ways.

As for the OP.

Nothing to really say, wave gun at police with verbal threats to do harm, then fire on police ...and get shot?
    Also has made various other ,"I will not respect your authority!" statements in the past?
    Sounds like a ,"How to do everything wrong " for dummies book.

and...

Lets see the 2 candidates make comment (as well as the sitting Pres) ...see how many places will burn,how many cops will be killed ...etc etc. In the name of "justice" for this person.
    Last edited by enragedgorilla; 2016-08-02 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    What's this supposed, "objective" truth?

God, I hope Obama buts his head in to make matters worse to score political points on this one.

Btw, that woman is an imbecile...

BLM will be blaming this on the "evil racist cops" no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    What's this supposed, "objective" truth?
    Certain people are so driven by feelings of guilt and racism that they will not hold the mother to the same standard they would another person because of her skin color.

Deleted
    The article says 'Johnson said Gaines had “anti-government views” but it is unclear if she was part of any specific movement.' However, the license plate anecdote sounds very much like a Sovereign Citizen Movement kind of thing.

People will blame police because many many many people know all they know or care to know about force-on-force training, and firearms, and police, from watching TV shows made by people who don't know anything about these subjects.

In that fantasy land, "shooting them in the leg" or "shooting them in the shoulder" or "shooting the gun out of their hand" is a thing and not a cartoon; and in that fantasy land, there is a less-aggressive version of pointing a gun at someone that doesn't count -- maybe because a hammer hasn't been cocked back or proper trigger discipline is being observed.

"Who is outside?
    - The police.
    What do they want?
    - To kill us."

Yup, incoming another innocent black person that got gruesomely murdered by the racist police forces and all the bullshit that comes from that.

Certain people are so driven by feelings of guilt and racism that they will not hold the mother to the same standard they would another person because of her skin color.
    Oh, wow, forgive me for being so aggressive with my original statement, I thought you were going to say something akin to what Hooked or Orlong or that other guy that thinks European imperialism should make a comeback in Africa would say.

I'm all for a discussion on racial politics, I don't want to hear your bottled up racism.

But yeah, I agree with your statement.

Poor kid. Hope he recovers and wont follow her path.

10+ Year Old Account
    They can't handle the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post
    Yes, she would destroy me and my raging boner.
    In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    When exactly? Cause we're at post 16 and still nothing.
    Could it be they are a lurker and not a poster?

10+ Year Old Account
    I heard about this earlier. This woman is despicable and she used her son as a human shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    "Who is outside?
    - The police.
    What do they want?
    - To kill us."

Yup, incoming another innocent black person that got gruesomely murdered by the racist police forces and all the bullshit that comes from that.
    She told him to say that. He said it in a way which he didn't understand what was happening, no emotion, no concept of what the words coming out of his mouth meant.

15+ Year Old Account
    This woman is horrific for using her son as a human shield.