Mats for professions

Hello all,

Was trying to do Legion catch up in various aspects of the game. I read somewhere that it is ok to have double crafting professions although gathering have got some attention now. I know that it will be not as atrocious as it was at WoD but what do they mean exactly? The shoulder enchants to have a chance to get mats and the 110 world quests only? Are these enough for the job? Will I have to wait till 110 to get the mats (if I want to avoid auction house at start)?
    Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.

Deleted
    The mat requirements for crafted items are quite substantial, especially when you have only a 1-star recipe. The number of materials needed goes down heavily at 2-star recipes and again at 3-star recipes.

At the beginning of the expac, I would not recommend 2 crafting profs on your main: Shoulder enchant does not nearly give you enough mats to actively craft stuff, and Auction house will be crazy as usual. World quests for the professions don't give you any materials (except for Blood of Sargeras sometimes).

The only somewhat viable 2-crafter combo would be Tailoring and Enchanting, mainly because you need the Enchanting dust in your Tailoring cloth anyways, and disenchanting has a chance to also drop Blood of Sargeras.

Deleted
    For the First few months AH will be a expensive place to gain mats for professions (as usual) but it is still a possibility.
    Chose the professions you want- just be aware of the high costs (gold) on having 2 crafting professions.

This is bad. I have tailoring/engineering on my raiding main. Tailoring gets mats from mobs anyway. So I should either accept low engineering progression or drop it altogether after so many years?
    Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Socronoss View Post
    I would not recommend 2 crafting profs on your main: Shoulder enchant does not nearly give you enough mats to actively craft stuff,
    Sorry, can you explain this? I thought the shoulder enchants only let you do the "gathering animation" quicker. Do they allow non-gatherers to gather?

Deleted
    There are several factions that have shoulder enchants at honored.

- The one in Highmountain gives you a chance to loot a "meat package" from mobs you kill. When you open that, it contains either meat or leather or scales or those claws etc that skinners get.

There is another one in Val'shara that gives you a chance to loot "harvest" material from mobs you kill (herbs, ore, potentially also leather, haven't tested that).

And lastly, there is an enchanter recipe (learned at lvl 104) for a shoulder enchant that gives you a chance to loot additional cloth packages (also haven't tested yet as I didn't level my enchanter yet and AH prices are too crazy for me on beta )

The enchant you are talking about is a glove enchant (also done by the enchanting profession). That "quickens" the gathering.

Edit: There is of course also the manaseeker shoulder enchant in Suramar (Nightfallen rep) but I didn't mention it because it is irrelevant for professions, just gives you a chance to get additional "Ancient Mana" (currency for Nightfallen faction)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rayaleith View Post
    This is bad. I have tailoring/engineering on my raiding main. Tailoring gets mats from mobs anyway. So I should either accept low engineering progression or drop it altogether after so many years?
    If you're not so attached to old recipes - from older expacs i mean - (or willing to farm them back eventually), then my suggestion would be: Drop engineering during the level phase, get a gathering profession (mining probably best to supply your engineering). Then when you're through leveling / questing (I dont say lvl 110 on purpose because questing does not stop at 110 --> Suramar), you can switch back to engineering.

The way the new profession system works completely supports this as you can craft (almost) everything at skill level 1 and gather the same amount of mats at skill level 1 as at skill level 800.

I don't have Engi personally, but I remember that it could be a bit of a pain because of the Gnome/Goblin specialization that you would have to re-do, so for you it might be a bit more of an investment. The benefit is that you can either hoard the ore you get until you re-learn Engi or sell it on the AH for quite a profit in the first week(s) and then just buy them cheeper a couple of weeks down the road when the craze has gone down.