Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    You need to reread what I wrote. Where did I say water cooling would increase the temperature of the room? With water cooling the heat removed in a PC stays the same, but the heat removed from the CPU is increased. You're moving the heat much further away from the CPU much quicker than a air cooler. That's why if you ever touched a heatsink near the base, you can feel the heat more intensely than near the top, if we're talking about one of those giant tower coolers.

Ok, what is the bit about the room about then? The temperature of the cooler base doesnt make any difference, modern processors have heat dissipating lids, it's temperature matters and is usually measured. The lid, the thermointerface between the crystal and the lid and the thermointerface between the lid and the base of a cooler/water block is the biggest limiting factor, this heavily limits any liquid thermal conductivity advantage.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Ok, what is the bit about the room about then?
    This bit?

LinusTechTips did a video where they showed that having a water cooler won't actually increase the temperature of the room.
    The temperature of the cooler base doesnt make any difference, modern processors have heat dissipating lids, it's temperature matters and is usually measured. The lid, the thermointerface between the crystal and the lid and the thermointerface between the lid and the base of a cooler/water block is the biggest limiting factor, this heavily limits any liquid thermal conductivity advantage.
    You're not getting it. The heat has to conduct away from the CPU via whatever metal your heatsink is made of, usually copper. The only moving part is the fan. In water cooling the heat is removed as soon as it arrives to the base of the water block and carried away with a liquid. Then through equilibrium it is transfered to the radiator and removed with a fan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    You're not getting it. The heat has to conduct away from the CPU via whatever metal your heatsink is made of, usually copper. The only moving part is the fan. In water cooling the heat is removed as soon as it arrives to the base of the water block and carried away with a liquid. Then through equilibrium it is transfered to the radiator and removed with a fan.
    Heat pipes aren't pure metal, in essence they're vapor chambers which is why they're more efficient in transferring heat (despite it being water, remember it's steam/condensation method, so don't make the same comparison). That said, water itself is a terrible conductor which is also why there's a copper plate on the socket itself. Just because it circulates doesn't change the characteristic of it being a terrible conductor, what helps is the fact it has a high heat capacity. Technically speaking your entire loop is holding more energy than a heat sink at all times but once it gets to the point where the water is taking in as much heat as it is dissipating to the radiator (and fan on radiator), then it's not going to matter. It heats up the room slower, but it's still going to. Energy has to go somewhere, and that's the room in the end, or wherever your radiator is pointed to.

Water has 10.8x higher heat capacity than copper and 4.63x higher than aluminum.
    However copper is 707x higher thermal conductivity than water and aluminum is 357x higher thermal conductivity.

In a sense, heat sinks are moving energy faster but can not take as much as water, which is also why temperature spikes are harder to deal with with water than heat sinks.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-08-10 at 10:25 PM.

People saying you need water cooling never heard of double towers air coolers like Noctua NH-D14 and NH-D15, they have low noise and excellent performance. Only custom loop and high end water coolers might beat that but at the cost of noise and maintenance (and price). Also, I wouldn't upgrade that 6100, I would overclock the hell out of it instead. So yeah, I suggest you buy a top cpu cooler and keep it for 5+ years instead of upgrading a dead platform.
    Warrax, Fury Warrior
    Silika, BM Hunter

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrax View Post
    People saying you need water cooling never heard of double towers air coolers like Noctua NH-D14 and NH-D15, they have low noise and excellent performance. Only custom loop and high end water coolers might beat that but at the cost of noise and maintenance (and price). Also, I wouldn't upgrade that 6100, I would overclock the hell out of it instead. So yeah, I suggest you buy a top cpu cooler and keep it for 5+ years instead of upgrading a dead platform.
    You REALLY NEED to read the OP again.

HE HAS A Thermalright silver arrow. He DOES NOT need a new cooler. It's one of the best air coolers out there
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Not to mention these pumps can be incredibly noisy. I had a seidon 120 and it is without question the most irritating noise I have ever heard emanating from a computer, largely because it could not make up it's mind what speed to run at.

Aside from sheer logiststics(sticking a cooler where air coolers just cannot fit) I could never see the point in an AIO. They really do not have a good enough performance edge to be a NEED.

Intel have a thermal probe inside the die AFAIK so report higher temperatures, AMD is closer to socket temp.
    My h100i is pretty quiet. I have used both air and aio cooling and aio is far better than aircooling specially for a hot room

Quote Originally Posted by shinji204 View Post
    My h100i is pretty quiet. I have used both air and aio cooling and aio is far better than aircooling specially for a hot room
    Then you used shitty air cooling. The h100i is pretty good, but the best air cooler match up to it pretty well, hot room or not. The room my PCs are in is very warm, around 25-30C. South Texas is hot this time of year and the PCs are in an upstairs room on an outside wall that gets hit by sun in the afternoon. My NH-D14 keeps my CPU beyond cool enough under stress with an OC. Noctua fans, whisper quiet.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Then you used shitty air cooling. The h100i is pretty good, but the best air cooler match up to it pretty well, hot room or not. The room my PCs are in is very warm, around 25-30C. South Texas is hot this time of year and the PCs are in an upstairs room on an outside wall that gets hit by sun in the afternoon. My NH-D14 keeps my CPU beyond cool enough under stress with an OC. Noctua fans, whisper quiet.
    That depends on what fans you use for your AIO cooling. I run mine with 4 Yate Loon - D12SL-12 in push/pull setup, with the rad in the top of my case and that MADE a huge deferens from the standart out of the box setup.
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL: